Why are the days so long, but the years pass so quickly

When we were young, we had only a few years of life experience to judge with our time perception. So days seemed like weeks, months like years. etc. 

When you were seven years old you only had a few scant years of memories so being told "we'll do it next year" seemed literally like a lifetime. You had only been self-aware for a short time (a few years) so that was like 25% or more of your whole life.

We got older - we got more memories that  ARE our time perception. The more things that happen to you, the longer your life memories seem to be.

Then you entered your (later) adult life and maybe got stuck in a rut - every day the same. Days seemed to drag out endlessly but as there were no stimuli you could record in your memory - so looking back over the year, it went "whoosh" - nothing memorable there. The years rushed by quickly.

THEN you started  to do interesting things, change your life - and suddenly days were short and the years are chock-a-block with memories! Life is long again....

Discuss.

Edited by webfact
Formatting fixed //Amin

Agree with most of above but the last two years were the longest of my life. Glad to be alive an only one funeral attended but the disruption and expense was enormous. Except for people in Thailand, many friends family not seen for 2 years. As long as travel restrictions in certain countries remain, no return to normal for me.

Days pass so quickly however. With all the things to do, and the over saturation of entertainments, internet and delivery services. I had to force myself to go outside just to get some exercise and walk. Really had no reason to leave my place of temporary dwelling.

• Like 1

So, I understand you pain and frustration. Don´t you worry, as the days are still 24 hours long and the year consists of 365 days most of the time. Sometimes even longer. Everything else is just an illusion made up by single individuals.

Days seem to flash past now and before I know it somebody is telling me the weekend is here ???? always something to do but not always the energy or enthusiasm to do it ????

Looking forward to post covid and days full of relaxing entertainment 

no long ago heard two guys having a conversation, 1 saying he was enjoying life 24 hours a day and the other told him that he should enjoy the nights as well   555

for me 1 day at the time is good enough and they do go by very fast

When one is ten, one year is 10% of your life. When one is 50 yo, it is only 2%. And so on.

Time relativism,  the rate at which time passes depends on your frame of reference.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

no long ago heard two guys having a conversation, 1 saying he was enjoying life 24 hours a day and the other told him that he should enjoy the nights as well   555

for me 1 day at the time is good enough and they do go by very fast

He enjoys sleeping?

When I was 17 I was convinced I would never want to live past 30.  OMG, 30.  Who's that old??

owned by your parents, puppet.....student.....first job, second, third.  more school.  stronger relationships....   then around 35, IMO, life stops going parabolic.    35 to my current age of 293.......all the hurdles have been jumped, so now I gotta create some just to "live."

tomorrow....explore jade mines in Burma.  If you don't have that energy like when you were younger, well, the days seem longer.   

Dear Friend,

I am not sure whether or not you understand the perception of Time.

As we age, our perception of time does change, and the seconds tick faster.

Sometimes, looking back, you might think that you have not done much. And now that Time is speeding up, you become worried that there might not be enough time to accomplish what you had hoped you might.

Just keep in mind that, for everyone, the seconds tick faster, as one ages.

Not sure if this might help you.

However, if anyone, over the age of 60, is in prison is reading my words, then this might provide a bit of solace. 

This is Experimental Psychology 101.

Regards,

Note:  I do hope that anyone reading this is not existing on a diet of bread and water, of course.