A visa quandary

I have a query for the visa experts on this forum.  After an enforced extended stay in the UK due to all the 2020 shutdowns I was able to return with my son in April last year. Following good advice from people on this forum I returned on a Non-imm O visa based on retirement which I was able to extend for a year. This extension ends on 9th July.

I now have pressing reason to finally spend a few weeks back in the UK and am planning accordingly.  I am intending to travel on around the 20th June so I was calculating a timeline to getting my extension renewed before I left (earliest time I can apply, time required to get bank statements, allowance for Immigration to hold my passport overnight, re-entry permit etc.). And then it occurred to me.  Why don't I just let the extension expire and get a new visa while I am in the UK? The costs are similar and I'll gain a couple of months. I had no problems getting my 'O' visa last year from the London embassy so why should it be different this time? I have the financial requirements in place in Thailand to extend it when the time comes.

So what do you think I should do?  Part of me would like the certainty that everything is in order before I leave the Kingdom but can you see any particular benefits or pitfalls in either course of action? Thanks in advance.   

Both options will work.

You can apply for the extension 30 days (45 days at some offices) early.

Personally I would do that. Seems easier.

Why would they hold your passport overnight?

Edited by Lite Beer

43 minutes ago, sniggie said:

So what do you think I should do?  Part of me would like the certainty that everything is in order before I leave the Kingdom but can you see any particular benefits or pitfalls in either course of action?

Do whatever you prefer, both options are possible.

3 minutes ago, rwill said:

Letting it expire would save the cost of getting a reentry permit.  As long as the cost of starting over is about the same as an extension.

Not always about few baht.

Also the new non O will cost 2000baht. 

Unless the op is intending to remain overseas for some time, for me it's a no brainer. 

The OP states .....

"....... spend a few weeks back in the UK and am planning accordingly."

Why not obtain the extension prior to brief trip out and purchase reentry permit. Single reentry 1000baht. 

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not always about few baht.

Also the new non O will cost 2000baht. 

Unless the op is intending to remain overseas for some time, for me it's a no brainer. 

The OP states .....

"....... spend a few weeks back in the UK and am planning accordingly."

Why not obtain the extension prior to brief trip out and purchase reentry permit. Single reentry 1000baht. 

If I am not wrong, you also have to do new TM30 with new Non-O visa.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2022 at 9:09 AM, Lite Beer said:

Why would they hold your passport overnight?

Following the helpful replies here I decided to renew my retirement extension. Got the documents from Bangkok Bank this morning (Thursday) so went to Jomtien office on the dot of 1 pm today. It was quite quiet so I had great hopes of a speedy turnround.  Straight up to the desk, all papers checked, money handed over. Then I was given the dreaded plastic ticket and 'come back after 2 tomorrow'. Must just be me! Any bets on being able to do a re-entry permit tomorrow after I collect my passport or will that be a 'come back on Monday'?  

24 minutes ago, sniggie said:

Any bets on being able to do a re-entry permit tomorrow after I collect my passport or will that be a 'come back on Monday'?

You can always obtain reentry permit at airport if it's better option. 

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You can always obtain reentry permit at airport if it's better option. 

True but if you're flying Business class it means using the none-fast track channel... 

I have heard they'll skip you to the front of the queue if you do your re-entry permit at the airport but I don't know how true this.

I hate queueing for anything, especially when I'm travelling long distance so get my re-entry permit before I go (Hand everything over to Agent + 1,500 THB, get everything back the next day - 1,500 THB but + a single re-entry permit). 

Edit: OP I'm sure you can easily get the Re-Entry Permit yourself tomorrow (Friday) or as @DrJack54has advised, do it at the airport on the way out.., Just please note that you'll need to go through the none-fasttrack channel for the re-entry permit desk, it is well sign posted... 

Edited by Mike Teavee