With gold falling is buying Thai real estate a better bet

webfact

16 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The kicker though is that even though Bangkok condo rent is down 30-50% - condo prices have only gone slightly down

The problem with property is that it's real price is the price you can get when you sell  ..
Of cos it also means the price will never drop n  can even appreciate as long as u do not sell ..

Someone said money is a very funny medium.
Converting money to things is easy but converting  things back to money is difficult (especially if you want to get back the same amount  ... )

• Like 1

Strange article.

1. Too many condos are being built, so as an investment they are worthless. People won't buy your 2nd hand condo for the same price as a new one.

2. Boohoo gold dropped to a 3 month low...

Why didn't you buy the dip yet?

When sh it hits the fan, the price will rise faster than a d ick in a massage salon.

3. Foreigners can own 100% of 1 unit condo, but only 49% of the total number of condos in 1 particular building. So for own use it's perfect.

Or rent land for 60 years until you die and build whatever you like.

4. I'm a gold bug. Prices doubled the last 15 years. And still, it's the best and most trustworthy investment since ancient times. Even the Egyptians knew the importance.

This article mixes 2 things that are not related to each other.

Anyway, buy a condo

Then start buying physical gold, with the money you make from gold ETF.

Then go buy some Chang and relax

????

22 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many I know in the US have a safe full of guns, and precious metals with bank safety deposit boxes full of silver ingots and gold Krugerrands.  My Father prior to dying 2 years ago had such a buildup which was then passed on down to the grandchildren and who have chosen to keep them secured away for that rainy day, of course they are in a trust and this I watch over as the executor.  However, many others that I know do not have a pot to <deleted> in and do not have any savings built up, living like many others month to month and paycheck to paycheck.  I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to how one was raised and what their goals in life are.  Some preferring to live the easy life are the ones the government in the US has to help out by handouts which cause the middle class workers more in taxes and so on.  Here in Thailand there is no safety net and is one reason I think that folks are so unwilling to sell off property at a decent price as they think it is worth gazillions, ergo why these properties sit empty.  

I spoke to a relator in the Prachuap Khiri Khan Area last week, and many of the houses I have looked at have had an increase in price, while having sat vacant for almost 2 years.  The rational he said is that tourism is back in play and tourists have the cash to buy since they have been sitting on their money for two years.  What kind of a mental incapacity must one have to think that way?  Others he said have dropped prices to more realistic sums, but everyone of them are unwilling to rent them out for a reduced price until the property sells.  WTH is wrong with this picture. This is the Thai mentality where when business is down you charge more to make up for your losses......just plane idiocy.  

FROM ABOVE: "...and tourists have the cash to buy since they have been sitting on their money for two years."

Save for 2 years and have cash to buy a property?

Really?

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

FROM ABOVE: "...and tourists have the cash to buy since they have been sitting on their money for two years."

Save for 2 years and have cash to buy a property?

Really?

As the man said, I posted.  The views of some are not the reality of those who have not gained but instead lost in the past 2 years.  Only ones who have money are those that always have had money or those who sold out when stocks etc...were high....

Right now for many who have stocks and such, it is like reliving 2008 all over again....

Edited by ThailandRyan

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I was 'awarded' less than 25% of my house/contents despite funding 100% of everything when my marriage broke down.

These people have the motive and the means to screw you over one way or another. Don't give them the opportunity.

• Like 1

With gold falling is buying Thai real estate a better bet?

Uh, I thought when gold  was falling, it was going to be a good time to buy?

Guess I'll wait for it to go back up first.....

51 minutes ago, MarcB said:

4. I'm a gold bug. Prices doubled the last 15 years. And still, it's the best and most trustworthy investment since ancient times. Even the Egyptians knew the importance.

????

Here's a comparison between the performances of the  S&P 500, the Dow Jones, and gold. Gold loses by a big margin.

image.png.f8775e5f6a89e2df6420230447ecdf2b.png

https://www.longtermtrends.net/stocks-vs-gold-comparison/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Is the health minister trying to talk up the real estate market?

Everywhere I see new projects, started a few months ago.
World in recession, very high inflation, Stock markets, Bond markets, crypto markets crashing.

Forget about real estate, it will get nasty here. They build like crazy, probably betting on the Chineses but they are not coming or not allowed to come.

And they keep building (often poor quality) then expect, when they can't sell their units, that the gov't should give them all sorts of hand outs / spend billions of advertising to get travellers in etc. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

If you can cherry pick dates, so can I.

E15405BB-F529-4747-8D71-C4D4552D3185.jpeg

Gold has risen a little due to hot inflation, and so has Silver after being the lowest it was in the past 2 years. Palladium and other metals are worth a look as well.

37 minutes ago, Airalee said:

If you can cherry pick dates, so can I.

E15405BB-F529-4747-8D71-C4D4552D3185.jpeg

That's a pretty long investment window you got there. What's more, as I looked more closely at the chart I realized that it doesn't account for inflation

"Even though the price of gold is 50 times as high as in 1971, stocks have performed even better. The S&P 500 has produced an annualized return of 11.2% since August 1971, assuming dividends were reinvested along the way. That compares with 8.2% annualized for gold. Furthermore, the only reason gold came even this close to matching stocks over the past 50 years was its huge return during the first decade following Nixon’s announcement. "

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gold-as-an-inflation-hedge-what-the-past-50-years-teaches-us-11628283272

So, I guess if you've been holding on to gold for 50 years, it's nearly as good an investment as stocks.

The article goes on to say that if you take away the first decade after the price of gold was decontrolled, gold has risen at a 3.6% rate, whereas stocks did over 12% and even intermediate treasury notes did over 8%.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4133639-is-gold-really-best-inflation-hedge

• Like 2

Gold will continue to reign supreme. Too many condos abandoned and neglected in Thailand me thinks for that sector to be profitable.

Have any of the readers here actually made a profit on real estate property?

4 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

Gold will continue to reign supreme. Too many condos abandoned and neglected in Thailand me thinks for that sector to be profitable.

Yes.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

I profited wholeheartedly on my house in the north, I was able to loose the now ex-wife but our daughter got the house....win win. I walked without truly loosing too much over 8 years.

20 hours ago, placeholder said:

Here's a comparison between the performances of the  S&P 500, the Dow Jones, and gold. Gold loses by a big margin.

image.png.f8775e5f6a89e2df6420230447ecdf2b.png

https://www.longtermtrends.net/stocks-vs-gold-comparison/

I didnt ask for your comparison of yesterday's news.

Stocks were not around 5000 years ago, gold was

When the stockmarket crashes again, i will ask you for a comparison then

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, MarcB said:

I didnt ask for your comparison of yesterday's news.

Stocks were not around 5000 years ago, gold was

When the stockmarket crashes again, i will ask you for a comparison then

In other words: history, shmistory

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In other words: history, shmistory

You can't get more ignorant.

History repeats itself.

Stocks will crash, just a matter of when.

Gold will rise and shine.

I'll lend you some when you're skinny ass broke Mr. Schmaceholder

The big wildcard with real estate will be China.

The Hong Kong Chinese have been increase buying and renting places in Singapore.

They are sick and frustrated with the government there and on the mainland, especially now.

So, my guess is when they are released from home confinement and by the end of the year they will be seeking property outside their country and I betThailand will be at the top of the list.

If they come in droves and start buying things up could big price increases and at some point an actual shortage of housing be in the cards?   May take a few years but should be very interesting to see what happens.

19 hours ago, Hugh Jarse said:

If you bought MORE than about 8 years ago in Chiangmai area the prices have finally shot up to the next level .    If you bought recently you will probably have another wait .   Those who invest a lot on their personal residence often lose money !    (yes,yes,  there are exceptions) .    But empty land still is the type most looked for .   Commercial on a good road is very expensive .   But again,  if you bought ten years ago you would be happy now

i bought my CM property 17 years ago.     Tripled my investment .    

On 5/11/2022 at 6:41 AM, mikebell said:

I owned 49% of a house at one time before an ex-wife & Thai courts took it.

yes,   but the experience (if used wisely)  will benefit you till you die

31 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The big wildcard with real estate will be China.

The Hong Kong Chinese have been increase buying and renting places in Singapore.

They are sick and frustrated with the government there and on the mainland, especially now.

So, my guess is when they are released from home confinement and by the end of the year they will be seeking property outside their country and I betThailand will be at the top of the list.

If they come in droves and start buying things up could big price increases and at some point an actual shortage of housing be in the cards?   May take a few years but should be very interesting to see what happens.

The Chinese are still buying, even now.  My partner and I recently sold a house by Lake Mabprachan--an area that is getting very desirable.  We had at least two showings every week it was on the market.  A number of the potential buyers were Chinese.  Of these, three or four of them were not here in Thailand and they viewed the house through video calls with the agents, as well as videos the agents made.  We actually almost sold the house to the very first buyer we had, a Chinese who was one of those that viewed the house first by a video the agent made and then by video call.  We couldn't agree on price and ended up selling to a wealthy Thai buyer.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rumak said:

any pleasures left ? 

I have a delightful girl friend; we love cooking together amongst other things; play table tennis four times a week; have fully equipped gym/pool on site; love reading; writing (published four books); gin & tonics daily.  That's about it really.

• Like 1