With gold falling is buying Thai real estate a better bet

webfact

A property costing $500,000 (anywhere in the world) will cost you 272 ounces of gold as of 4 pm Pacific ST on Tuesday May 10.

The gold bugs tell us that when Armageddon finally arrives (assuming we're not already here), we will need loads of gold just to go out and buy a loaf of bread (or bag of rice).

Personally I have not met one person who owns even one ounce of gold (except maybe "accidentally" in a watch or necklace). 

• Like 2

It would be hard to see Bangkok condo real estate being an attractive investment without foreigners being here in droves to soak up the resale units being. I doubt that my apartment has appreciated in value, given the volume of new builds that sprang up around us within the last 4 years. 

In hindsight I wish I had hunted down a good townhouse needing redevelopment or remodelling in Dusit or somewhere similarly cherished by the local middle class because some of those structures are well placed in quiet soi's and offer great overall square footage of living space.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rwill said:

Lots of repossessed homes in the mooban I live in.  Some have been vacant for 8 years or more.

Plenty round me that have been on the market for many years, not repossessed, but remaining unsold. Hard to be optimistic about owning Thai property with such obvious lack of buoyancy. Perhaps condos in the Capital not in flood areas is the  best bet.   

1 hour ago, blazes said:

A property costing $500,000 (anywhere in the world) will cost you 272 ounces of gold as of 4 pm Pacific ST on Tuesday May 10.

The gold bugs tell us that when Armageddon finally arrives (assuming we're not already here), we will need loads of gold just to go out and buy a loaf of bread (or bag of rice).

Personally I have not met one person who owns even one ounce of gold (except maybe "accidentally" in a watch or necklace). 

Then you don't know many people who live in Thailand or for that matter invest on precious metals.

However to stay on topic as dar as housing g prices here in Thailand, houses and condos are overpriced. There needs to be a real-estate board and an actual appraisal board that is certified in reality not the stratosphere.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rwill said:

Lots of repossessed homes in the mooban I live in.  Some have been vacant for 8 years or more.

Also gold has not dropped that much.

Must be 20,000 open units in the Pattaya Jomtien area, no? Do the developers investing billions know something we don't know?

I did notice lots of road improvement just south of Jomtien ...Highway 7 exit, major Sukhumvit expansion and didn't I hear something about a skytrain or rail line is headed this way?

I do know Icon Siam Mall is planned near Ocean Marina and heard rumors a long time ago the Disney has eyes on land there. 

There are many beautiful and well-located condos around the country so there are plenty to choose from. These may also appear to very reasonably priced but there are many other costs which need to be considered.

Coupled with this is the plethora of paperwork and formalities of the bureauratic Thai system. To own a property, whether foreign or Thai company owned, you must possess the Chanot and Tabian Baan, ie, the land registry plan and the blue book. Usually, these will be transferred when you pay the final payment for the property. However, some developers, being in financial difficulties, have not transferred them to the owners for more than four years. Owners of units at Amari Residences (The Legend Residence) have been waiting for their chanots to be transferred from Nova Legend Group who appear to be in financial difficulties, having used the chanots as security for a loan from Siam Commercial Bank. An action group has been formed to progress claims.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, blazes said:

The gold bugs tell us that when Armageddon finally arrives (assuming we're not already here), we will need loads of gold just to go out and buy a loaf of bread (or bag of rice) = CBDC

5 hours ago, webfact said:

It remains one of the world's fastest-growing economies and owning property in Thailand has been a fashionable way to profit from the nation's rise. 

Sorry I find both statements hard to believe.