With gold falling is buying Thai real estate a better bet

webfact

4 hours ago, starky said:

Analysis? Pigs Harris.

It's the normal theme with this guy, ask a question and expect the posters to do the analysis. Does keep a dying forum going a bit though.

He is our own Dr Yong, read about what everyone else is doing, then regurgitate the news as your own.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blazes said:

The gold bugs tell us that when Armageddon finally arrives (assuming we're not already here), we will need loads of gold just to go out and buy a loaf of bread (or bag of rice).

Gold will be worthless by then, guns and lots of ammunition is what you will need at that stage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Would it be presumptuous to assume the author is in the real estate business?

No idea, but he claims to have some journalistic skills,

Still waiting to see them though ????

I bought a condo in 2006. It's probably only worth the same now 16 years later (if i could sell it). Certainly thai real estate is not an investment. But then gold is no better, the same price now as in 2012.

Edited by Henryford

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

Must be 20,000 open units in the Pattaya Jomtien area, no?

20,001 including mine.

Advantage of Thai property is that owning an unoccupied condo is very cheap, with no council tax, amazingly low juristic fee, tiny fixed charges for electricity and water and a negligible (for now) annual property tax.

Then again, in the 3 years since I bought it, the value of my lovely Thai condo in a great location must have dropped around 50%, whereas my daggy flat in a poor location in Australia has increased 50%. Did choose the worst possible time to buy the Thai place of course.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I owned 49% of a house at one time before an ex-wife & Thai courts took it.

Is it a joke? Or did you seriously completely lose your 49% take without compensation?

Thailand is one of the world's fastest growing economies? Huh? Nobody knows the true extent of the hit that Thailand has taken not only in the past 2 years from covid, but in the past 8 years from the goons. No question the nation is moving backwards. I think the real estate market is in for a huge correction, as that appears likely worldwide, and many nations around the world do not have nearly the same issues as Thailand, with the willful sabotage of tourism, Japanese companies beginning to shift elsewhere, etc. 

Anyone looking to invest in real estate now, might consider waiting on the sidelines for awhile, to see what happens. Especially as it pertains to condos. Unless you are able to get 40-50% off the asking price. This is definitely a buyers market here, and it will only become more so, in the near term. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I bought a condo in 2006. It's probably only worth the same now 16 years later (if i could sell it).

Same with ours from 2008. Units on the market are asking pretty much the original sales price but they are not selling. Any one i know who did sell just took a lowball offer to get out. Trend i usually see in condos is the sales price peaks a few years after the project is complete and then starts falling off as it gets older and less desirable to thai's. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warrima said:

Same with ours from 2008. Units on the market are asking pretty much the original sales price but they are not selling. Any one i know who did sell just took a lowball offer to get out. Trend i usually see in condos is the sales price peaks a few years after the project is complete and then starts falling off as it gets older and less desirable to thai's. 

Yes it's strange, some of the new condos around me are asking 2 or 3 times per sqm as mine, and are REALLY small. 

• Like 1

CNBC online yesterday had an article about the (mostly political) risks associated with rising food and other inflation in SE Asia, and the push this will give to central banks thinking of raising rates. However, they don't see Thailand raising rates soon, "because it has been a big laggard in terms of the growth of recovery". Computer dumb me doesn't know how to easily include a link, but the article is titled 'Southeast Asia may Face a "big risk" of social unrest if food prices keep surging'. My guess is this means there is a lot of potential for negative outcomes remaining, including in the RE market.

But I just follow these things out of curiosity from having a degree in Econ I never directly used; I'll never buy here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WebbFact---Who actually writes these finance pages.

I am not in the stock-market --dont have any Bitcoin Gold etc.  But in-between being told here how the Baht is Crashing , when it seems to be getting stronger against all currencies except the run-away $US --there is now this report--- gold has gone down about $us4.... if you are buying  in Thailand--then the strength of the $US which Gold is measured in, means it has gone up.

..........................Permission to Panic Sir...........:w00t:

4 hours ago, 10baht said:

Right now the location is in the US stock market if you have the balls to buy the dip.

Haha, my hair was jet black a couple of weeks ago. Now white as snow...  

I get a kick out of it.

1 hour ago, whiteman said:

and heard rumors a long time ago the Disney has eyes on land there. 

Why would Disney come here to Thailand the whole place is one big Disney fun fair park all ready 

Family tourism with the merry go round being Pattaya....the tea cups being in Bangkok.....