Car seats: Traders and parents worried about new law - top doc says make sure you buy a good one

webfact

5 minutes ago, SuwadeeS said:

Hey Thailand. Then dort complain about the Skype Rock hogh dead toll.

I know, Thailand is tolally learning resistent and in dental.

Never mind.

I tried to read & understand your message, but just got more confused.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SuwadeeS said:

Amazing Thailand.

When it comes to traffic safety, Thailand is still stone age.

No wonder, why they are no.1 in traffic dead 

I think they were treated 5th then went to 2nd and may be back to 5th again.  Still with a bit of effort.

'To be Number One'

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Mum Prarathana, 29, said she has three children, two under 6.

She said the law change was a good idea but she would wait and see if the law was actually enforced.

Say no more.

However, I can just picture it now. A police checkpoint, eight adults in the back of a pick-up, five of them are Women holding babies, Six people inside the cab, plus the driver. One woman holding a baby. She gets fined for not using a child seat......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Most Thais I know don't have cars only scooters so should they be worried as these laws come in very fast?

No - but they should be worried about the trucks that come in very fast....

I have not seen any mention of where the car seats should be placed - front seat or back seat. In the western countries car seats are supposed to be placed in the back seat. If a child is in a car seat on the passenger's side in the front, there is a danger that the child could be smothered by air bags if there is any kind of impact from a collision. 

From what I have observed over the years, most motor vehicles laws are for show. Anyone will tell you the laws in Thailand are enforced arbitrarily in certain places at certain times. How can we think the car seat requirement for children will be any different?

We will not have safe roads in Thailand until vehicles are programmed on tracks or "smart roads" and run by computers, It is easy to change a law, swear you will enforce it with zero tolerance and then lay on the PR; However, it is not so easy to change the road culture in Thailand.

33 minutes ago, NemoH said:

Before all of you shout - hurray for safety ... this is an impractical law and again a sign of over regulation by your parent the Government. 

I have not seen the details but does children under 6 include infants 1-2 years old? Do you think a 1, 2 or 3 year old will sit still silently in a car seat ? Why not have an alternative option of seat belts for children younger than 5 years in lieu of car seats? Airlines don’t even allow 1-2 year old infants to have their own child seat!! 

Also all of us will now need to consider buying 7 seaters car because with this law, children will be treated as adult with car seats. So a family of more than 5 can no longer travel in a 5 seater car.. think about it...

An unfortunate consequent, no doubt, will again result in the enrichment for the enforcers of this law... 

Airlines supply extra seat belts that clip onto the main seat belt for infants on the passengers knee

Never happen, no brainer, no seatbelts in the rear of cab space picksups, what do motor bikes do?? Can average Thais afford proper child seats at 2 - 10,000 B per seat. Cost of upgrades to vehicles with out anchor points. etc, etc.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

. He helpfully stated that if a family had two kids and needed two seats at 2,000 baht that would be 4,000 baht

Thank God this man is here to guide  the thais in these difficult times. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Parents here should be more worried about their kids refusing to use the car seats, after being spoiled rotten for the first few years, and being able to move around a fast moving car like an ape in the forest. That will be the biggest challenge for the people who say they are parents, but refuse to behave like one. 

There is definitely the ‘oh they don’t like it and cry’ mentality towards car seats... so they just end up not being used. 

I recall my mother in law (Thai) a few years back suggesting that we take our son out of his car seat because he doesn’t like it !!!.....  (he was crying)... I tried to point out that if he’s crying he’s fine !...  

The logic amongst many here is upside-down...  they want to take the child out of the car seat because they don’t like being restrained. Speak to any (most) western parents and they’ll point out how they had to take their child for a drive in the car seat to get them to go to sleep !!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Parents here should be more worried about their kids refusing to use the car seats, after being spoiled rotten for the first few years, and being able to move around a fast moving car like an ape in the forest. That will be the biggest challenge for the people who say they are parents, but refuse to behave like one. 

Totally agree with you.

Had this out with the Wife 25yrs ago with my two step kids 2 & 4 yrs old,i was frowned at and nothing was done!

Now two grandchildren,i mentioned it again yesterday!

See what happens!

• Thanks 1

The woman quoted in the article probably reflects the general attitude of the local parent drivers: Agree it's a good idea but wait and see to if they can just carry on and avoid the fines somehow. 

They don't understand each time the kiddos are in the car, they're playing Russian roulette with the lives of the children.

In the US, not putting the children in the seat is unthinkable anymore and equates to child abuse. Ironically, even the idiots that bake their kids in hot cars always have them strapped in in car seats.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Pedestrian crossings anyone?

Not if you allow vehicles to traffic 80 with no enforcement which means they go over a 100, then some stupid ass put a crosswalk that is like telling people it is OK to walk to the other side during the Daytona 500????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NemoH said:

Before all of you shout - hurray for safety ... this is an impractical law and again a sign of over regulation by your parent the Government. 

I have not seen the details but does children under 6 include infants 1-2 years old? Do you think a 1, 2 or 3 year old will sit still silently in a car seat ? Why not have an alternative option of seat belts for children younger than 5 years in lieu of car seats? Airlines don’t even allow 1-2 year old infants to have their own child seat!! 

Also all of us will now need to consider buying 7 seaters car because with this law, children will be treated as adult with car seats. So a family of more than 5 can no longer travel in a 5 seater car.. think about it...

An unfortunate consequent, no doubt, will again result in the enrichment for the enforcers of this law... 

A child 1-2 years old is classed as under 6.

My 2 year old sits quietly and enjoys being in his car seat, and usually goes to sleep.

What do you mean by 'alternative option of seatbelts for children under 5.   A 6 month old baby with his own belt???

So a family of more than 5 can no longer travel in a 5 seater car.. think about it.....I am. What a silly statement.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Looks like my vasectomy is starting to pay off now. ????

Maybe so. But have you actually tested your theory with a live woman?

Nope. Didn't think so.

3 hours ago, b2bme said:

I see countless numbers of these out on the verge for rubbish collection or with a "for free" sign on them in Australia. Nothing wrong with them except no longer required and seems most people here want new items for their new born or infants and not used. You struggle to give stuff away most times just because people want new stuff. Cots, prams/push carts, change tables, baby car seats, booster seats and so on. Guess it is similar in other Western countries. You can literally furnish a house with the stuff that gets thrown out here.

A few years ago I saw a place in Chiang Mai selling very good quality used products from Japan including car seats push chairs etc

We bought a very good quality timber “ high chair” for our daughter which is still in use and  has been passed on a couple more times.

Maybe you could send out a container full and I will be your agent here !!!!! 

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is definitely the ‘oh they don’t like it and cry’ mentality towards car seats... so they just end up not being used. 

I recall my mother in law (Thai) a few years back suggesting that we take our son out of his car seat because he doesn’t like it !!!.....  (he was crying)... I tried to point out that if he’s crying he’s fine !...  

The logic amongst many here is upside-down...  they want to take the child out of the car seat because they don’t like being restrained. Speak to any (most) western parents and they’ll point out how they had to take their child for a drive in the car seat to get them to go to sleep !!!! 

All the child has to do is cry, and they get whatever they want, from a parent who has no idea they are the boss. Just say NO! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, digger70 said:

I don't understand the mentality of the people winge about the cost of a  child car seat. But they All got an I Phone and big screen TV's.

Priorities comes to mind. same as Helmets and Seatbelts and no people in a cargo area of a Ute and Follow the Road Rules .

Then Who's gonna enforce the Law/Rules . 5555

That is an extremely pertinent point: 

Any parent who owns a 5000+ baht phone but complains they can’t afford a car seat for their child is an absolute a$$....  In fact, any person that can afford a car, can afford an infant and a child car seat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

All the child has to do is cry, and they get whatever they want, from a parent who has no idea they are the boss. Just say NO! 

Indeed...   when I have heard people point out that they [the infant / child] complains or cries....  I point out that if they are crying they are fine !!!... its when they go silent to start worrying !!!... 

In the ‘west’ we know...... we absolutely know that without any hint of doubt that a child will be fine sitting in a car seat, they’ll get used to be because there is no other option.... 

As soon as parents allow the ‘seat vs no seat’ to become even a possibility, children start ruling the roost....  the parents weakness places the child in direct danger. 

• Like 1