Car seats: Traders and parents worried about new law - top doc says make sure you buy a good one

webfact

The cheap car seats on sale in Thailand are of extremely low quality and might not help much if subjected to high impact but hopefully will be better than nothing in a low impact crash. The brand name products are hugely marked up compared to prices in the West by greedy importers. So they are a hi-so unaffordable to ordinary Thais.  But I guess they have to start somewhere. 

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t give up….  Push…  it’s your (extended) family…  

I want to give up too, with Thai friends & kids in cars, with in laws & seat belts…  and every now & then I read a thread like this and I take my own advice… push. 
Next time I see my Thai friends with kids running about a car I’ll ask W.TF…  I care, so they should. 
In laws are a tough nut to crack…  they go in my car, seat belts are not an issue… in their car, never ! 

Totally agree just sometimes you feel like your banging your head on the wall.

My six year old goes to an non government school and I have tried suggesting that they teach the kids about seat belts.

Big smiles and that’s all.

Teaching them how to Wai seems more important

On 5/12/2022 at 1:43 PM, SuwadeeS said:

When it comes to traffic safety, Thailand is still stone age.

No wonder, why they are no.1 in traffic dead 

And just two places ahead of the 3rd place, stone age US, apparently.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 5/12/2022 at 2:37 PM, AndySilverfox said:

....."Retail spokesman Panyaphon said there were supply problems. He helpfully stated that if a family had two kids and needed two seats at 2,000 baht that would be 4,000 baht. "  Yes that was both illmunating and useful to all...thank you...!!

Yes, very "illmunating" [sic]. 

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Going by the opinions of most on this forum, cars in Thailand have tints so dark it doesn't matter what's inside the car, no one can see to check.

Not often I agree with you but you are 100 % correct. The Thai law states 40% tint max for front side windows but never ever seen it enforced. Probably a) The corrupt RTP have no idea of what the law is and/or b) too lazy to fill in the paper work for the report or more likely c) Keener to take a 1000 baht "tip" to do or say nothing.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Excel said:

The Thai law states 40% tint max for front side windows but never ever seen it enforced.

I don't believe that there is any such current legislation that could be enforced.   Which section of the Land Traffic Act covers that?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Probably been stated already but most new car buyers happily drive from the dealership straight to the tire shop and swap their stock rubber and rims for something with more bling for around 20,000 baht average.

But they can't afford a 2000 baht car seat for the sprog.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree just sometimes you feel like your banging your head on the wall.

My six year old goes to an non government school and I have tried suggesting that they teach the kids about seat belts.

Big smiles and that’s all.

Teaching them how to Wai seems more important

Don't forget prostating before their masters