Face masks to be still needed in Thailand even after the emergency said Minster Anutin this week

webfact

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are cancelling a holiday because you may be in areas were wearing a mask in public is expected??....   erm... :whistling:

Its not as if mask wearing in the beach, pool, resort etc is expected... 

In resort area’s no one is wearing a mask (except walking into breakfast)...  But, if you go on to the BTS, into a shopping mall, supermakert, 7-11 etc... you are expected to pop on your mask. 

Its hardly worth 'cutting your nose of to spite your face’ and spoiling your holiday in a childish petulant manner of protest...  

The police don’t care... no one is getting charged for non-mask wear. 

Wouldn't go as far as childish and petulant as i haven't got steam coming out of my ears, more like 'pffft i can't be asked with all that <deleted>'.

Masks are the only thing that have wound me up during this pandemic, if people want to walk around like sheep with what looks like a tampon over their gob whilst all the time turning their ears into handles the FA Cup would be proud of,( not forgetting it doesn't help you re: covid neither) thats their choice and good luck to them but i'm at an age where i don't need any hassle.

You say the police aren't bothered, maybe a massive majority aren't but there's always a rogue out there who would want to rinse you.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Flink said:

I think the underlying issue here is not the wearing of mask but the threat of making them legally compulsory. So much for freedom of choice. Having said that, helmets are a legal requirement when travelling on a motorcycle and no one takes a blind bit of notice of that law, (or the new car seat law would be my guess). It's such a contradiction though - "We'll declare Covid endemic", "You must wear a mask". Utter nonsense. Influenza is endemic, Measles, Mumps, Rubella are all endemic but they have never enforced mask wearing for those. They're using Covid as an excuse to maintain control and nothing more. Once Covid is endemic the Emergency Powers SHOULD be rescinded, but they won't be.

My thoughts exactly - a perfect reason for banning street protests and gatherings of any people that are anti Government. Democracy??? Pfft! 

8 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm starting to ridicule the Thais I know who still do this. They know it's stupid but they feel some sense of greater duty to the mission.

the problem here is that none of them are willing to go first and buck the crowd.

one person see without a mask is considered out of the flow

two or three w/o one is a new trend that's ok to do...

On 5/13/2022 at 1:13 PM, fxe1200 said:

There is plenty of scientific proof a particle of 0.0001 mm is subject to Brownian motion; i.e it cannot be projected effectively across any meaningful distance.

Here's a simple experiment to help you understand.

See how far you can throw a pea, with the same level of force you would use to throw a golf ball.

Masks work because they limit the spread of much larger particles of sputum and snot the virus is attached to.

Show me your data on effectiveness of a mask slap bang middle of a national park or on a scooter.

Malaysia dumped masks in a month of opening outside as their public sector have 2 brain cells to rub together...one more than him.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Control control control. Wonder how many heart attacks and stress these horrible things are causing to people in a hot country, let alone the waste and pollution. At least make it only mandatory indoors. Having a lone cyclist in the middle of nowhere mask up is a little extreme, no?

Children!

The thing is, and I know this isn't really a complete solution, but if you're not concerned about wearing a mask for protection, you can wear a <deleted>ty reusable fabric mask and you'll probably be able to breathe OK.

• Haha 1

Great news!  We really need to continue to see Thais not really caring if Thais wear masks but losing their <deleted> when a foreigner doesn't.  And we still get the chance to be reminded that we are dirty foreigners who all have covid when Thais do their mask checks when they see us.

I guess the new motto is "Keep them scared; keep them compliant!".

[quote]

i always ask the same question "was you wearing them before covid?"  and obviously the answer is no.  

[/quote]

Hang on a moment.  Why do you say that obviously the answer is no?  That's not an obvious assumption.

Prior to Covid, I wore a mask outdoors in the burning season to protect my lungs from soot particles etc.  I also wore a mask inside shops to protect my lungs from airborne infections from the unhealthy bunch in those shops!

Perhaps I've been living in Asia for too long, but I never found wearing a mask an issue in the above scenarios.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, darrenr said:

No mask here in Bali ! Walk the streets, go into bars , at my hotel no Mask!

not coming to Thailand again until they get rid of the mask mandate 

May as well stay home as no mask in Qld excepts hospitals 

Same here in Spain. No masks.

I understand that the population of cities in most Asian countries wear masks due to the air pollution. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RamenRaven said:

I still prefer to keep putting on an N95 mask because of the horrendous air pollution, not because of the virus.

It is rainy season.  Not great AQI #s yet, but horrendous is a stretch:

image.png.7fdab34801b76e675c1d52bb2be54f9a.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It is rainy season.  Not great AQI #s yet, but horrendous is a stretch:

image.png.7fdab34801b76e675c1d52bb2be54f9a.png

Not just because of the overall air quality as reported on IQair, but mostly because of local agricultural and trash burning everywhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flink said:

I think the underlying issue here is not the wearing of mask but the threat of making them legally compulsory. So much for freedom of choice. Having said that, helmets are a legal requirement when travelling on a motorcycle and no one takes a blind bit of notice of that law, (or the new car seat law would be my guess). It's such a contradiction though - "We'll declare Covid endemic", "You must wear a mask". Utter nonsense. Influenza is endemic, Measles, Mumps, Rubella are all endemic but they have never enforced mask wearing for those. They're using Covid as an excuse to maintain control and nothing more. Once Covid is endemic the Emergency Powers SHOULD be rescinded, but they won't be.

freedom of choice? TIT bro, wake up and smell the coffee.

Edited by Lemsta69

On 5/13/2022 at 5:50 AM, peter zwart said:

Certainly works for bacteria in my personal experience. Dunno whether that translates to effectiveness for viruses.

I have a lung condition called bronchiectasis (not bronchitis). It's deformation of the aeoli in the lungs (those are the twig-like structures in the branches of the lungs that transfer oxygen to the blood). The deformation creates excessive amounts of sputum and bacteria love to live in sputum. Bacterial infections are easily caught by sufferers and some of them can turn nasty - like into pneumonia.

Prior to the masking requirements and over the course of the 6 years of my bronchiectasis (spent in Thailand) before Covid I would typically get 2 to 4 bacterial infections a year, one of which would be serious and half of those one a years would require hospitalisation. Since covid, ie the last 2 years I have had nil bacterial infections.

Go figure why - ok some of it because I was less social but I think some of it was also down to the effectiveness of masking against bacterial invasion.

• Like 2

I have no problem with masks inside a public place or in a crowd ....  the messenger in this announcement aside. 

I wore masks when I did construction and they never made me cry and whine.

Edited by ding