Thai PM receives warm welcome from US President, discusses bilateral and multilateral cooperation defense with US Defense Secretary

webfact

I cannot see the unelected PM having the brains to speak good English, it is now about 8 years since him and his soldiers stole the country, surely time enough to learn even a little English.

Maybe he has a translator following him around.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

One senile fellow was given the opportunity to walk the secured garden while the other one should have considered seeing a professional tailor above the porky pig niveau ???? 
Wondering what they discussed and just hope that the did not get "lost in translation"! 

I have never seen anything to suggest how competent the unelected PM's English is like.

But being educated at a Military Academy I have a good idea, even though he has had 8 years to learn.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I cannot see the unelected PM having the brains to speak good English, it is now about 8 years since him and his soldiers stole the country, surely time enough to learn even a little English.

Maybe he has a translator following him around.

That would be the case, for sure.

It's well understood that his comprehensive and conversational English is embarrassing at best. 

There are numerous instances/examples caught on video as to his child-like inefficiency of the language. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I wonder if Mr Biden knew about what Thailand's unelected PM and his soldiers did to Thailand in 2014 before he came to America.

I wonder if he cares.

But you can always contact the President via his contact page to let him know  about what Thailand's unelected PM and his soldiers did to Thailand in 2014 before he came to America.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Apart from the Burmese unelected PM or whatever they call him, the Thai unelected PM is the only person in South East Asia who illegally took over their countries by default. I wonder if the majority of the American people knew what Prayut did when the see it in the news how Mr Biden has welcomed him to their country.

The majority of American people could not point out Thailand on a map.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have never seen anything to suggest how competent the unelected PM's English is like.

But being educated at a Military Academy I have a good idea, even though he has had 8 years to learn.

Maybe he studied Chinese.

Why don't they ask the opinion of Thailand backpackers with no money????

Biden is worth billions, controls the world, access to anything on Earth........but the backpackers know where to get the 20 baht noodle soup bowls for only 15 baht!!!!  Backpackers get old, too.  

If the PM and Biden are listening........  we have a voice!!!   TVFM would like a discount on Large Leo Beers on Monday!!!  If not, we will post mean stuff about you and I'm sure you will cry all day and get poor.........or not.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I wonder if Mr Biden knew about what Thailand's unelected PM and his soldiers did to Thailand in 2014 before he came to America.

And what might that be? Seriously. I can't remember any bloodshed, or any indefinite imprisonments. Certainly nothing like what's going on in Burma now. Would the country have been better off, had Yingluck been allowed to continue? Maybe. Maybe not. Prayut, I believe, has had, and continues to have, honorable intentions (but his beginnings were tainted, and this will be the only factor in many folks' minds). Unfortunately, Covid has prevented any meaningful progress, from him or from anyone else in his position. Yingluck would have experienced the same roadblock.

Prayut doesn't have warlord intentions -- his intentions, I believe,  are honorable; and he'll retire soon enough. Then we can compare him to his successor.

Bloodless coups are ingrained in Thai culture. Most, actually, have been for the betterment of the country. These have been the equivalent of impeachments. Maybe America can learn from this, should Trump get re-elected in 2024 -- with a little luck, it won't be bloodless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yes, and thankfully so. It's nice to have high ideals. But to have these ideals trump realpolitik would have the US void of the "friends" it needs around the world to keep matters to the US's advantage. And keeping Thailand the friend that it's been ever since the King offered elephants during the Civil War makes complete sense, regardless of what the idealists think of their current government------

------which, by the way, comes across squeaky clean in their last election, compared to the US, with their insurrection and deaths at the Capitol.

No, the US is in no position to criticize the current Thai situation -- at least they don't have a Thaksin cult similar to the Trump cult. Yes, it denies some freedoms allowed in the West; but so too does Singapore (which the NGOs also attack, but we never read about it, since it's such a non event in this part of the world with managed democracies).

No, the US and Thailand make a good friendship fit. Just hope the State Dept keeps on its realpolitik path, and doesn't deviate into idealism, as it did under Obama.

Hope Prayuth and Biden had a good meeting.

Thank you for the meaningful insight but it also shows hippocracy when they condemn Myanmar for Junta but mum in case of Thailand. They are fine with Saudis ruling but have issues with Mullahs running Iran or Bassad running Syria because they doenst comply with US demands? As far as US democracy is concerned, this year elections showed that this model is as flawed as other part of the world and only way US can fight communism with allies is when it make clear that focus is not to preach democracy but fight Xi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yes, and thankfully so. It's nice to have high ideals. But to have these ideals trump realpolitik would have the US void of the "friends" it needs around the world to keep matters to the US's advantage. And keeping Thailand the friend that it's been ever since the King offered elephants during the Civil War makes complete sense, regardless of what the idealists think of their current government------

------which, by the way, comes across squeaky clean in their last election, compared to the US, with their insurrection and deaths at the Capitol.

No, the US is in no position to criticize the current Thai situation -- at least they don't have a Thaksin cult similar to the Trump cult. Yes, it denies some freedoms allowed in the West; but so too does Singapore (which the NGOs also attack, but we never read about it, since it's such a non event in this part of the world with managed democracies).

No, the US and Thailand make a good friendship fit. Just hope the State Dept keeps on its realpolitik path, and doesn't deviate into idealism, as it did under Obama.

Hope Prayuth and Biden had a good meeting.

So Realpolitik like when the Americans were allies of the Khmer Rouge after the killing fields? 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

One senile fellow was given the opportunity to walk the secured garden while the other one should have considered seeing a professional tailor above the porky pig niveau ???? 
Wondering what they discussed and just hope that the did not get "lost in translation"! 

Maybe they talked about Pfizer profits, and the possibility of Thailand supporting the US against Russia, but Prayut say no talky about Putin, Mr Zi no like. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, JimGant said:

And what might that be? Seriously. I can't remember any bloodshed, or any indefinite imprisonments. Certainly nothing like what's going on in Burma now. Would the country have been better off, had Yingluck been allowed to continue? Maybe. Maybe not. Prayut, I believe, has had, and continues to have, honorable intentions (but his beginnings were tainted, and this will be the only factor in many folks' minds). Unfortunately, Covid has prevented any meaningful progress, from him or from anyone else in his position. Yingluck would have experienced the same roadblock.

Prayut doesn't have warlord intentions -- his intentions, I believe,  are honorable; and he'll retire soon enough. Then we can compare him to his successor.

Bloodless coups are ingrained in Thai culture. Most, actually, have been for the betterment of the country. These have been the equivalent of impeachments. Maybe America can learn from this, should Trump get re-elected in 2024 -- with a little luck, it won't be bloodless.

Well done, that is some of the most uninformed nonsense I have ever read on this forum. 

• Thanks 2

a so called leading democratic country receiving/dealing with a military grabbing power coup leader just wonder why the US didn't invite the military coup leader of Myanmar, after all he just follow Prayut's actions, what's the reason to segregate

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

but I have no time for anyone who thinks it is OK for anyone with soldiers and guns behind them to just walk in and oust an elected government,

Well, replace "elected" with "legitimate" -- elected wasn't a process in the 18th century -- and we have the American Revolution. So, certainly there are situations where the sitting government needs to go -- for the betterment  of the citizens. Thus, glad I'm the product of  a coup, and not still a Brit or Old Worlder.

Yeah, a little too dramatic. Prayut is not G. Washington. But neither is he that butcher next door in Burma. Living in Thailand since he came onboard hasn't affected my life at all, nor that of my Thai neighbors. I still maintain that a democratically elected follow on to Yingluck would not have made a noticeable improvement to Thailand's situation in 2022. We'll never know, however. Democracy in today's world ain't what it used to be -- switch on your reality button, and temper your idealism thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Well, replace "elected" with "legitimate" -- elected wasn't a process in the 18th century -- and we have the American Revolution. So, certainly there are situations where the sitting government needs to go -- for the betterment  of the citizens. Thus, glad I'm the product of  a coup, and not still a Brit or Old Worlder.

Yeah, a little too dramatic. Prayut is not G. Washington. But neither is he that butcher next door in Burma. Living in Thailand since he came onboard hasn't affected my life at all, nor that of my Thai neighbors. I still maintain that a democratically elected follow on to Yingluck would not have made a noticeable improvement to Thailand's situation in 2022. We'll never know, however. Democracy in today's world ain't what it used to be -- switch on your reality button, and temper your idealism thoughts.

You are an American so I don't know how the US dollar was in 2014, but the GBP was around 50 Bt then, now 8 years it is around 42 Bt now. It is not just a coincidence how that has happened.

i am no financial expert, but IMO the unelected PM and his soldiers have been manipulating the Thai Bt since they stole the country.

17 hours ago, pegman said:

So Realpolitik like when the Americans were allies of the Khmer Rouge after the killing fields? 

Yeah, considering that they were the principle creator of the Khmer Rouge - allying themselves would come natural. 

Seems to be a repeated history of American foreign policy.......maintaining and inventing relationships with unsavoury types.