Friday 13th: Instructor shot dead at rifle range - beginner student thought it wasn't a live round

webfact

Of the ranges that I’ve been to in Thailand mostly military, I have noticed they were well supervised and never seen ammunition lying around on the floor and never seen dummies distributed the gun had live rounds or empty with demonstrators giving instructions on safety 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, connda said:

They are real.  They are called "snap caps."  You can use them for dry firing, or they can be useful when working with a student to get them use to clearing an unexpected misfire. 

th-797575740.jpeg

Very valid points, but the snapcaps would be easily identified as being such.  I have used and taught with dummy rounds that, apart from weight and absence of a primer, do resemble a normal round to a greater extent than snapcaps.  However, both snapcaps and dummy rounds are only used when teaching practical courses to advanced students to simulate a stoppage and the student needs to react and clear quickly and efficiently.  

The original story says it was a beginner area/course and there would be no justification in using them even if the range had them.  She sounds a bit more advanced than a beginner as she obviously knows how to load a magazine, fit it in the weapon and then cock it to facilitate firing.

Her story sounds a little dodgy to me.  Perhaps a check on how well she knew the instructor would be informative.  Instructors and students do get in close proximity when teaching, and afterwards on occasions. 

Either the range ignored or did not enforce all reasonable safety precautions (this is Thailand) and left live rounds lying on the ground, or the woman found what she thought was a foolproof way to commit murder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I guess the instructor never told her the very first rule of never pointing a gun at anyone, whether it is loaded or not.

Many decades ago whilst doing my annual range firing practice, the first rule we were taught every year was NEVER, NEVER point any weapon at a person unless you mean to kill them. If you have a problem with the weapon and you cannot clear it, ALWAYS point it down range, flat and no fingers on the weapon, raise your hand  and shout weapon jammed etc. The Range Master will order cease firing, and after firing ceases, he will approach the weapon and attempt to clear it.

I have been waiting for my turn and I saw one guy turn with his gun, and heard his scream when the Range master kicked him in the ribs. A lesson was well taught that day.

The last time I handled a weapon was in 1983 and I never want to handle one again. Its sole purpose is to kill and nothing else.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Where was the Range safety Officer,

As a former Range Safety Officer with an Army unit  with students using anything from pistols, rifles, machine guns and even grenades safety was most paramount

Safety in Thailand - non existent

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Because she’s a halfwit?

Reads like you have never been trained in the use of firearms, the same as this lady.

The blame lays squarely on the shoulders of the deceased...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A stupid and wholly avoidable accident.

I've only been to that range once, when it just opened. They regularly run IDPA matches and the people involved are, as far as I know, not cowboys (no pun intended).

However ... pistol ammo in Thailand is a mix of what's called 'look sorm' ลูกช้อม and 'look jing' ลูกจริง: 'practice' and 'real'. To an absolute novice, ammo described as 'practice' might conceivably be mistaken for inert rounds, especially if the novice in question has never pulled the trigger on a 'practice' round. There are also people here making and selling 'dummy' inert rounds out of live rounds (drilling the case and removing the primer). 

The 'practice' rounds are typically basic lead bullets, sometimes coated / painted, sometimes just bare lead. But, in 9mm, they are not far short of a basic jacketed round in velocity, around 1,000 fps. 

Glock platform is very popular for training with minimum of controls to learn. Striker fired so consistent trigger pull weight. No side-frame external safety to mess with. Flip-side (to me) is that with safety built into the trigger system, it is literally just point and shoot. Plus, being striker fired, there's nothing obvious like a cocked hammer to indicate readiness to fire.

Ultimately the instructor (an army Captain, RIP) has to take some of the blame because it's the instructor's job to oversee everything a student does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it has been awhile since i have posted, i do read this everyday. if the instructor was shot in the shoulder, how did he die? the bullet could have been deflected by the bones and went up and nicked an artery or when down to his heart.

This has been said,

1) Always treat a gun if it loaded

2) Only point your gun at what you intend to shoot.

3) Never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to shoot

The events that have been stated seem to me to be incredulous and untrue.

Waiting for further information!

• Like 2

Sounds very suspicious to me and why was she pointing the weapon at the individual the only ammunition to be on the floor should be spent cartridges that was fired from the weapon RIP to the instructor 

• Like 2

I am a retired American Police Officer and handling firearms hasbeen a part of my life for almost 40 years. I have never been to a firing range in Thailand(probably won’t) and do not know how Safety procedures are enforced.  Rule #1 to me has been “never point your weapon at anyone or anything that your are not willing to kill”.  

On another note Alec Baldwin knows how this shooter must be feeling now?  

• Like 2

Now this story makes it even crazier!  So she shot at the target but hit her instructor??? And she hit him in his FOREARM and it killed him? Did he die of shock? Heart attack?  Did no one know how to treat him until the EMTs showed up? <deleted>??? 

https://thainewsroom.com/2022/05/13/bullet-mix-up-leads-to-student-killing-instructor-at-shooting-range/

Edited by David T Pike

lack of Education and fatal instruments.

Give everyone anything that will cause harm, and people will be harmed.  Hey, I wonder if I can eat this knife?  nope.   Hey, can I use this acid on my skin like cream?  nope.   Hey....

the problem is that this Darwin award winner might be next to you.......

• Haha 1