Covid extension in May?

Does anyone know if they are still giving covid extensions now that the country has opened up? 

And if not have they started giving visas at Vientiane Laos again? 

Edited by JRisP

8 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Yes they are still issuing Covid Extensions.

But due to the country opening up, and most restrictions being dropped we do not expect the covid extensions to be extended past May 24th, so it is highly advisable to apply before the 25th.

Visa runs are still possible, but covid extensions are less expensive, and much easier.

You are guessing this? Or you have some inside contact that hinted at this?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

You are guessing this? Or you have some inside contact that hinted at this?

Please read my comment again.

Anything can happen, but it's highly likely that there will not be another extension unless they extend the state of emergency which currently ends on May 1st. 

Covid extensions are related to this state of emergency, and it does not seem likely that you can have the nightlife restrictions lifted on July 1st with a state of emergency in place.

This is my opinion based on all the information we have access to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correct me if I'm wrong . . but "visa runs" will probably involve a lot more than they used to.   To re-enter Thailand, I'm assuming we'll be required to register in the Thai Pass system, purchase covid insurance (again), cross our fingers and then hope the system doesn't break down and we get approved in a timely manner, etc etc . . ?    

Edited by ArtVandelay

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

To re-enter Thailand, I'm assuming we'll be required to register in the Thai Pass system, purchase covid insurance (again), cross our fingers and then hope the system doesn't break down and we get approved in a timely manner, etc etc . . ?    

At the present time yes, this is the case.  The wise thing to do is get the Thailand Pass before departing the country so you are assurred of smooth re-entry.

Sooner or later it is expected that the Thailand Pass wil be dropped as a requirement. If I had to bet, I'd say July. But that is just a guess.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Yes, and the extensions are expected to continue until further notice, probably at least until the end of the year.

Expected to continue by who? 

Certainly not in my book. 

4 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Correct me if I'm wrong . . but "visa runs" will probably involve a lot more than they used to.   To re-enter Thailand, I'm assuming we'll be required to register in the Thai Pass system, purchase covid insurance (again), cross our fingers and then hope the system doesn't break down and we get approved in a timely manner, etc etc . . ?    

The Thailand Pass system has been improved.

Approvals are guaranteed within 48 hours (as long as you submitted the correct information).

But like Sheryl said you can apply for the Thailand Pass ahead of your trip while you are still in Thailand, the only issue you may run into is obtaining insurance while in Thailand. Some companies allow it, but many of the Thai companies do not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Expected to continue by who? 

Certainly not in my book. 

The emergency decree is still in force. The General will keep it like that until the elections next year. Maybe by then they will also abolish the Covid extensions.

Trust me. I know what I'm talking about.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am currently in Phuket. I arrived on March 22 with Visa On Arrival. Renewed the extension on April 20th. Will I be able to renew again by May 20th? If required to do a Visa run where can I travel to? Hopefully a country near to Phuket. Can I extend again by doing a Visa run? I'm so confused. 

6 minutes ago, replicant said:

I am currently in Phuket. I arrived on March 22 with Visa On Arrival. Renewed the extension on April 20th. Will I be able to renew again by May 20th? If required to do a Visa run where can I travel to? Hopefully a country near to Phuket. Can I extend again by doing a Visa run? I'm so confused. 

You can obtain a covid extension prior to May 20.

I would apply asap. 

You do not have to wait till last day of your permit. 

BTW you arrived visa exempt and subsequently obtained a 30 day extension.

Now you will be applying for a covid extension. 

Edited by DrJack54

13 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Please read my comment again.

Anything can happen, but it's highly likely that there will not be another extension unless they extend the state of emergency which currently ends on May 1st. 

Covid extensions are related to this state of emergency, and it does not seem likely that you can have the nightlife restrictions lifted on July 1st with a state of emergency in place.

This is my opinion based on all the information we have access to.

I feel like they will extend the state of emergency to retain the ability to make sudden policy changes if some new unexpected covid variant pops up.  What that will mean in regard to the covid extension program is anyone's guess. So yes, anything can happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, audaciousnomad said:

I feel like they will extend the state of emergency to retain the ability to make sudden policy changes if some new unexpected covid variant pops up.  What that will mean in regard to the covid extension program is anyone's guess. So yes, anything can happen.

This is possible as well, but it would be hard for them to fully open up nightlife, and remove all entry requirements with an extended state of emergency as they are pushing to consider covid as endemic. I find it hard to believe that they will consider covid as endemic, and be in a state of emergency simultaneously. It's also possible this is the last time they extend it because there is still a small window where state of emergency will still be active.

We still advise to apply soon if your intention is to get one of these extensions to avoid a negative outcome, there is another meeting on May 20th which will talk about further reductions of entry restrictions.

We will have to wait, and see.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RedReding said:

What are the requirements for those covid extensions in Chiang Mai if on a extension of visa exempt ? Any direct experience from someone ?

Should be very easy, especially if all you have done is 

30 day exempt -> 30 day extension

You will easily get your extension.

Yes, it's all I have done. Entered visa exempt and got an extension 2 weeks ago that lets me stay until the 4th of June.

You will easily get your extension.

What are the exact requirements though ? I was under the impression that a letter from the embassy was needed ?

27 minutes ago, RedReding said:

What are the exact requirements though ? I was under the impression that a letter from the embassy was needed ?

You require pretty much same as you provided for your current 30 day extension.

Photocopies of identity page, TM6, entrance stamp. Stamp of previous visa (if any), TM7 form with photo and 1900 baht.

They may also require TM30. 

You will also sign an affidavit.

Some tick box 2 on that form.

There are couple of rogue offices that were requiring applicants to provide letter from their embassy.

Hua Hin being one. As usual 5k to an agent got around that. 

Hopefully CM do not.

You should go asap. 

Here is link for affidavit.

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659

Edited by DrJack54

Thanks for the precise info as well as for the link for the affidavit. I will think about it and go before Friday if I decide to go for it.

Was more thinking of doing a visa run in the first place but let's see. It's my first entry in Thailand since 2 years and also my first 30 days extension, a trip to Laos and come back 1 week later is an option too I suppose. Happy to be proved otherwise though.

1 hour ago, RedReding said:

Thanks for the precise info as well as for the link for the affidavit. I will think about it and go before Friday if I decide to go for it.

Was more thinking of doing a visa run in the first place but let's see. It's my first entry in Thailand since 2 years and also my first 30 days extension, a trip to Laos and come back 1 week later is an option too I suppose. Happy to be proved otherwise though.

If you have not done the 30 day extension yet, then the covid extension is a moot point.  They would first issue you the standard 30-day extension before anything else.

7 minutes ago, RedReding said:

I've done the standard 30 days extension already like said above.

FWIW...Thinking visa run is very poor second to obtaining a covid extension. 

TBH can't follow the reasoning.

But as they say different strokes for different folks

Edited by DrJack54

Just thought that I rather not be in the system as someone with "covid extensions" as I want to stay in Chiang Mai long term in the future. This is the only reason really. I was already stuck in Laos for 2 years before being back in Chiang Mai now so I have a lot of "covid extension stamps" from Laos in my passport as well. Not sure if immigration likes that either even though it has no relation with Thailand directly.

Stop me If my reasoning makes no sense. 

Edited by RedReding

4 minutes ago, RedReding said:

Stop me If my reasoning makes no sense

Yes STOP.

Covid extensions will not be an issue for you in the future.

Some folk in Thailand had some issues with agent arranged non O volunteering. 

Covid extensions different kettle of fish 

You state remain in CM long term.

You will need a plan for that.

Won't be any issue with covid extensions. 

I went to do it yesterday at CW and they have now changed to a devious system. Seems like they're taking the <deleted> with this but you can still get it. Just need to go to immi 2 times which is really nonsense. 

The officer told me kindly that they have changed the policy recently and now they give you a 3 week "under consideration" stamp and you have to come back in 3 weeks to get it signed to get the +60. They said the extension is already confirmed so no worries but you have to come back in 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

I went to do it yesterday at CW and they have now changed to a devious system. Seems like they're taking the <deleted> with this but you can still get it. Just need to go to immi 2 times which is really nonsense. 

The officer told me kindly that they have changed the policy recently and now they give you a 3 week "under consideration" stamp and you have to come back in 3 weeks to get it signed to get the +60. They said the extension is already confirmed so no worries but you have to come back in 3 weeks. 

Thanks for letting us know. Does anyone have direct experiences with immigration in Chiang Mai by any chance ?

One more thing is we are not yet sure about is if you can get the 2nd extension with the completion stamp if the program is not actually extended.

This may only be an issue for some provinces where they issue an under consideration stamp which can range from 10 to 30 days, and you have to come back for the 2nd stamp for the full 60 days.

If you need help with a full 60 day extension you can contact our team via LINE.

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Haha 1