NE woman disappears after trader mistakenly transfers nearly 300K into wrong bank account

webfact

The woman who took the money and ran probably knows the Thai legal system will probably only ask her to make a public apology plus a few heartfelt wais and appear on the news surrounded by police and cameras, and that will be it…probably why she returned a lot of the money it might go in her favour when she’s caught

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, while that may be correct, common sense would dictate asking for someone's real name, prior to transferring a large amount of money, to put yourself in a position to prevent exactly this kind of mishap. It is part survival, part self preservation and just smart business. 

Well, it is actually not correct. When Thai people introduce themselves on non social capacity they mostly if not always use the official names. Nicknames are only used for social encounters.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rockhound said:

THis happened to me about 45 years ago - I was 18 at the time.  A total of 5000 UK pounds was paid into my account - that's about 200,000 baht these days but I reckon it would be nearer a million baht these days.   I immediately informed the bank.  Pretty simple really.

A few years back there was such a case in Australia, money sent to wrong person. For whatever reason a snr police officer mentioned that in such cases the receiver cannot claim that he/she can keep the money and must return it to the sender.

Cop mentioned 'the money was never the legal property of the receiver and still isn't the legal property of the receiver'. Also mentioned that there needs to be a valid legal reason why anybody sends money to anybody (buy a shirt etc.).

Cop also mentioned the same law exist in pretty much every country. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, while that may be correct, common sense would dictate asking for someone's real name, prior to transferring a large amount of money, to put yourself in a position to prevent exactly this kind of mishap. It is part survival, part self preservation and just smart business. 

i transfer 2 million to my gf..she not run away..yet..i guess she think its more to come

4 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

By Thai Culture, Lady got this all wrong. Either pay all back or spend all or disappear with all.
300k is like a lottery win& key to new life if you are in trouble or earning 10-15k month (privately).
300k will get a Thai a simple land / small house built for 150k in remote NE then 100k to Equip & Furnish cheaply with m/ bike. Leaves 50k to live until getting new income stream.

Penalty the same 300 or 150 . love stupid crims

Many years ago, I paid a cheque for Bt25,000 into my Bangkok Bank account. After I had returned home, I realized the clerk had made a mistake and had input Bt250,000. I didn't do anything and the correction was made next time I updated my bank book.

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And as to the original transfer, Wirawan must have been in a hurry. The app clearly states the name of the account holder, prior to transfer. One always has to check that information carefully, especially so when transferring large amounts of money. 

Exactly. If she loses the remaining money then it's entirely her own fault for acting so carelessly. That doesn't excuse the recipient for stealing it, of course, and unless she goes on the run for the rest of her life then she'll eventually pay one way or another.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rwill said:

Also some accounts have the name in English.  So even if they read Thai they may not read English.

And this is just one of the many uses of a translator app. We are talking about transferring a third of a million baht, for God's sake. Some self preservation instinct? Just a tad? 

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

So checking the name that appears after you input the account number won't help you to make sure you've got the right person, if all you know is their nickname.

Would you do business with someone while not knowing their real name? I know the real name of anyone I send money to, be it business or family. And that involves only a couple of thousand. Sending large sums to someone while not knowing their name is madness - as is not checking details before pressing Confirm.

Funny... seeing this story I saw that someone I've never heard of transferred something into my account via PromptPay a couple of days ago... probably by error. Called the bank, they identified the transaction and will contact this person to confirm it was done in error and if he allows sharing his account number with me, the lady would call me back and informed me how to transfer...

And she just called, saying that I bought something and seller couldn't deliver so it was refunded... No idea what that could be (note to self - stop online shopping addiction!), but eventually it wasn't transfer in error.

But what would I do if someone made transfer to me in error? Call the bank as soon as I see it and let them know about it, to send it back. It's the only right thing to do.

And a praise for the lady at SCB call center. She was AWESOME.

• Like 1

The women disappeared. Everybody assumes it is she that has done a runner leaving husband and cats. Well we don't know nor do we know if indeed foul play is involved. The remainder of the money may be very significant for her husband, has he killed her  and disposed of her body ? she gets the blame and he gets away scot free with the money ? who knows but another scenario which given it is Thailand would not be unusual. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

The same sort of low life that that find a huuge amount coming into their account thinks "it is mine and must spend most at once " ????

Yesterday in Japan

A 24-year-old man who was mistakenly paid millions of Japanese yen has already lost the money through online gambling, his lawyer says. The man received 46.3m yen ($357,400; £287,000) in his bank account - money from a Covid relief fund that was supposed to be shared among 463 people.

Had 500k transferred to my Thai bank account in error many years ago before electronic banking. I didn't notice it but got a call from the bank asking me come and help them correct the error which they implied was the customers fault but I think they failed to check the name matched the account number.  Luckily the bank was in the same building as my office. Out of curiosity I asked the bank, if would be committing a crime, if I decided to keep the money or had withdrawn before they called.  They said no but please help us. Of course I had no inerest in keeping the money.

Edited by Dogmatix

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Then on Monday police arrived but only the husband was home. Asked as to the whereabouts of his wife he said he had no idea. 

Did they check under the bed, of course he knows where his wife is, some people would murder for that amount :unsure:

6 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Many Thais only know each other by their respective nicknames (ชื่อเล่น) and never actually know the person's real, full name.

Bank accounts can not be opened in nick names, she is a trader and would have known the real name of who she was paying surely.

If the husband was home the cats hadn't been abandoned.

Did the police actually search the house and gardens for her?  She was probably still hiding at home. 133,439 baht would not last her very long if she was on the run.

But of course if she had actually already spent it, she would be afraid of going to prison. 

Edited by johncat1

4 hours ago, RafPinto said:

She's now on Tinder:

Hello,

My name is lucky. I am a honest woman, looking for love.
I have my own business and do not need your money.
I recently divorced and am looking for a good, honest, loyal man.
Perhaps it's you.
Please no ONS or hookup.
I am serious.

Swipe right and maybe we can see each other soon.

Lucky

Hello Lucky, I am an extlemely Hansom and Sexy Maan, Me widower, i am waiting for money come plobate on my dead wife, so if you can send me 10,000 baht i can come see you for Lomance and Lub. Hope to hear flom you soon. Love Vespa. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think the correct name of any Thai person is on their ID card, which is required by just about any Official body, that would obviously include all Banks. With so many "Lois and Leks", no organisation will accept this as "ID".

In the case of this story, the Sender should have checked the name before pressing "confirm". It's obvious, but somehow that didn't happen.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Hello Lucky, I am an extlemely Hansom and Sexy Maan, Me widower, i am waiting for money come plobate on my dead wife, so if you can send me 10,000 baht i can come see you for Lomance and Lub. Hope to hear flom you soon. Love Vespa. 

Solly Vespa.
I akcepted all leady messatch flom Paul flom Livelpool.
he velly hansom and big mone.
Mabi other time, kaaaa.

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Why would anyone lower their self for any amount of money? Test me, wire me 10 billion into my account and I will wire it right back to you.

I hope that will happen to me after interest rates for savings accounts are at 3%. I will promptly, after 3 or 4 months, return all the money. I will just keep the accrued interest in my account... ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

maybe a motorcycle accident will be her karma… 

When people say karma will get the other person, how do you know it wasn't karma making the sending lady lose her money?  Using karma, the lady that lost out deserved to lose that money...eh?

3 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

Yesterday in Japan

A 24-year-old man who was mistakenly paid millions of Japanese yen has already lost the money through online gambling, his lawyer says. The man received 46.3m yen ($357,400; £287,000) in his bank account - money from a Covid relief fund that was supposed to be shared among 463 people.

Maybe he hooked up with the Thai lady....just saying two peas in the same pod...

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I hope that will happen to me after interest rates for savings are at 3%. I will promptly, after 3 or 4 months, return all the money. I will just keep the accrued interest in my account... ????

There was a movie like this about a  guy who went to jail for robbing a bank. He got a 10 year sentence and when he came out he handed all the money he took from the bank and gave it to the police. He had the money invested in all that was good and made a killing on it. I am sure it was a Alfred Hitchcock movie.

• Like 1