NE woman disappears after trader mistakenly transfers nearly 300K into wrong bank account

webfact

In 1998 at Bangkok Bank ATM Nathon Town Koh Samui the receipt, after I withdrew 10,000 baht, said "18,xxx,xxx' balance. I laughed and contacted the UK bank card issuer on my return to London. They said that yes it was an incorrect balance but i would have been able to withdraw multiple times up to the stated receipt balance. They blamed the Thai banking system.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

The case was handled incorrectly from the start…should offered her 10k baht for the inconvenience - incentive stop temptation of greed

she is a low life for abandoning her cats b/c she thinks she has hit it rich….no thought given for living things depending on you…

maybe a motorcycle accident will be her karma… 

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10
  • Haha 1

Did she use PromptPay? Then just one wrong digit can mean a wrong receiver. I think Thai bank account numbers do have a checksum. At least the digits are structured. If one digit is changed, the account number would be invalid. Safer but not as convenient as using phone numbers. 

• Like 2

It ain’t only Thailand…this just happened in Japan for a bundle more than 300K THB. This Japanese dude swiped a cool ¥46,000,000 (thats 12.3 million baht) that was mistakenly transferred into his account by a government official transferring covid relief funds. Japan, apparently known for its honesty and generally not nicking other people goods seems to have a ceiling.

https://japantoday.com/category/national/man-mistakenly-sent-46.3-mil.-yen-in-covid-funds-gambles-it-all-away

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stefanix said:

Did she use PromptPay? Then just one wrong digit can mean a wrong receiver. I think Thai bank account numbers do have a checksum. At least the digits are structured. If one digit is changed, the account number would be invalid. Safer but not as convenient as using phone numbers. 

Thai bank account numbers do not have a "chechsum"

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Many Thais only know each other by their respective nicknames (ชื่อเล่น) and never actually know the person's real, full name.

I have several relatives whose real names I've never found out and others I've only found out (usually by accident) after decades of knowing them.

For instance I have a 31 year-old niece that I've known since she was born and I only found out her real name last month, when it happened to come up in conversation.

And everyone has a different surname.
Khomkong

Khomkung

Komkong

Komhung

All brothers and sisters.

They can trick you easily and especially with their line and facebook accounts.
If they don't want you to find them, it's all in thai language and many nicknames.

• Confused 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

She invested in a new beginning and fled the scene of the crime.....after all she fled with the proceeds from the pork and I don't mean the fat....

She's now on Tinder:

Hello,

My name is lucky. I am a honest woman, looking for love.
I have my own business and do not need your money.
I recently divorced and am looking for a good, honest, loyal man.
Perhaps it's you.
Please no ONS or hookup.
I am serious.

Swipe right and maybe we can see each other soon.

Lucky

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rockhound said:

THis happened to me about 45 years ago - I was 18 at the time.  A total of 5000 UK pounds was paid into my account - that's about 200,000 baht these days but I reckon it would be nearer a million baht these days.   I immediately informed the bank.  Pretty simple really.

Not that simple, I had the same 2 years ago on the account of my kid. Regular payments came in from an unknown person and I contacted the bank. They said they couldn't do anything (they can't block someone to transfer money to you, they cannot contact the person directly). I trasferred the money back a few months with a text that it was wrongly transferred, but the money kept coming. So I saved it up till it was a large enough sum that they would notice if i transferred it back and only then it stopped.

21 minutes ago, starky said:

Cant open a bank account with a nickname. As clearly stated when transferring money before confirmation the account holders name must be confirmed.

That's exactly the point I was making. The nickname, which is often the only name the person making the payment will know, does not appear in the account details.

So checking the name that appears after you input the account number won't help you to make sure you've got the right person, if all you know is their nickname.

I've actually faced this problem myself when paying a builder who had done some work for me. He gave me a bank account number, I typed it in and the name that appeared was not the name I knew him by. So to make sure, I had to call him and ask if that was his real name (ชื่อจริง).

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The police in Samut Sakhon issued a summons. 

But what does the law say exactly?

Shouldn't the reporters ask a lawyer for the legalities?

In my home country you cannot force anyone to pay back wrongly transferred money: it is on you to fill in the correct account number. Sure you can sue someone over it, but is there anything that makes the receiver legally obliged to return the money here?

• Haha 1