NE woman disappears after trader mistakenly transfers nearly 300K into wrong bank account

webfact

People who discover a windfall usually think this is their luck, like winning the lottery. They won't think of the person who put the money in as that is their fault. They see themselves as blameless. The money is probably the first good luck the family ever had. 

7 hours ago, Rockhound said:

THis happened to me about 45 years ago - I was 18 at the time.  A total of 5000 UK pounds was paid into my account - that's about 200,000 baht these days but I reckon it would be nearer a million baht these days.   I immediately informed the bank.  Pretty simple really.

Yeah the phone apps were much harder to use back then.

All this talk about not being able to read or only knowing nickname, etc. It is simple really. I can't read Thai and I don't know people's government name. When am about to send, I send a screenshot with their account number and name and ask them to confirm that is them.

Many years ago I exchanged some foreign currency into Deutsch Marks, it was about 100000 DM cash, which I took to another bank to deposit. When I arrived at the other bank they put them in the counting machine and said that there was a few hundreds DM in excess...
It couldn't have been, as I had no other DM on me or anywhere. They were counted several times, by hand and with the machine and it appeared that there really were more than I expected.
I took it as a gift ????

10 hours ago, starky said:

Cant open a bank account with a nickname. As clearly stated when transferring money before confirmation the account holders name must be confirmed.

Yes, we use nicknames when we add an account to favorites, bill pay, or Top Off.  We always check their real names before we hit next, send, OK, or whatever.  And the amount sent of course.  But we know what kind of common sense is used here, something my wife and others we know always use.  Plus she contacts the sender and the bank apps immediately.  Apps usually asks if you want to share a message once transactions are completed. Or an SMS.  Kind of idiot proof if That tells us something about the average person here.

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's exactly the point I was making. The nickname, which is often the only name the person making the payment will know, does not appear in the account details.

So checking the name that appears after you input the account number won't help you to make sure you've got the right person, if all you know is their nickname.

I've actually faced this problem myself when paying a builder who had done some work for me. He gave me a bank account number, I typed it in and the name that appeared was not the name I knew him by. So to make sure, I had to call him and ask if that was his real name (ชื่อจริง).

Congratulations, you were smart enough to ask his name before you transferred the money.

I would suggest regardless of the country that if you dont know someones full name they you avoid depositing money into their bank account, and if you only know their nickname you definitely wouldnt do it. But hey, thats just me. 

In an unrelated topic i have a nigerian friend who has millions just waiting to be released. I only know his nickname but if you would just transfer 1000 bucks into his account we could share the wealth!

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Yes, we use nicknames when we add an account to favorites, bill pay, or Top Off.  We always check their real names before we hit next, send, OK, or whatever.  And the amount sent of course.  But we know what kind of common sense is used here, something my wife and others we know always use.  Plus she contacts the sender and the bank apps immediately.  Apps usually asks if you want to share a message once transactions are completed. Or an SMS.  Kind of idiot proof if That tells us something about the average person here.

Yes mate but you add nicknames to accounts you have already confirmed or pay into frequently. 

You dont go and transfer money into an account of a person of whom you dont even know their real name.

And its not just the average person "here" happens everywhere some people just have more dollars than sense. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

They spoke to a neighbor who said they hadn't seen Saowanee or her husband for two days. 

They are having quite the holiday.

I have had money randomly deposited into my account, then I got phone calls begging for it back, but of course could not understand them..... sadly only 200 baht. Put my Mrs on and she was a bit harsh to start with fearing some scammer.... that happens a lot too!

19 hours ago, Rockhound said:

THis happened to me about 45 years ago - I was 18 at the time.  A total of 5000 UK pounds was paid into my account - that's about 200,000 baht these days but I reckon it would be nearer a million baht these days.   I immediately informed the bank.  Pretty simple really.

Immediately informed the bank and then quickly made escape to Thailand (with the $'s) and lived happily ever after. Pretty simple really.   ????

3 hours ago, starky said:

Yes mate but you add nicknames to accounts you have already confirmed or pay into frequently. 

You dont go and transfer money into an account of a person of whom you dont even know their real name.

And its not just the average person "here" happens everywhere some people just have more dollars than sense. 

That is what I said in my 1st sentence.  Your 2nd sentence is moot in my view.

1 hour ago, timkeen08 said:

That is what I said in my 1st sentence.  Your 2nd sentence is moot in my view.

Well your whole OP quoting me was moot in my view as it really had nothing to do with what I was saying.

• Haha 1

Those who commented about not knowing Thai names ….. the Banks have a brilliant system called “Prompt Pay” …. all you need to know is the registered mobile number of the recipient.

especially helpful for the less tech savvy

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 11:50 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Many Thais only know each other by their respective nicknames (ชื่อเล่น) and never actually know the person's real, full name.

I have several relatives whose real names I've never found out and others I've only found out (usually by accident) after decades of knowing them.

For instance I have a 31 year-old niece that I've known since she was born and I only found out her real name last month, when it happened to come up in conversation.

Nothing to do with subject bank transfer error. Full ID Names Only. 

21 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Nothing to do with subject bank transfer error. Full ID Names Only. 

It would help if people read the thread before commenting.

That was the whole point I was making. It was in response to someone who said the person sending the money was at fault because they should have known when the recipient's name came up after typing the account number, that it was the wrong person.

I was responding to that post, and pointing out that seeing the person's full real name probably wouldn't help, because in most cases people don't know a Thai person's real, full name, even of people that they've known for years.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:42 PM, zyphodb said:

If your only earning 10000Bht/month, 300,000 Bht is an unattainable fortune to you. Very tempting to do a runner with, I'm sure. Paying half back while spending the other half shows a basically honest person just unable to resist temptation when put in front of her.

Sad, should have either taken the lot and ran, or returned it all. Now she'll be completely <deleted> over...

Yeh I can totally understand. When da ladyz start fiddling with my joy stick in unable to resist temptation dawg

• Like 1