Canned Vegetables. Canned Legumes. Canned Peas. Canned Black Beans. Where to get discount prices for moderate quantities?

Dear Friends,

Ever since the virus hit us, March 2020, I had, and still have, been wanting to buy canned vegetables, including canned black beans, and canned tomatoes, canned green peas, and maybe even canned artichoke hearts.

In my home country, placing an order for such things would have been easy.  However, here in Thailand, ordering directly from the wholesaler seems difficult.  And, from my experience, the same is true of the situation in Japan, meaning ordering like this in Japan is no different than here in Thailand.  The common man is unable to order directly from the wholesaler or importer.  One must buy from a retailer, and the retailer often does not have either the necessary selection nor the quantity required. 

Maybe I am wrong?

No.  I am not wrong.

Here is what I would like to buy, in bulk, for example, and just an example:

image.jpeg.24347b1d66822542743f197672ac267a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6cfaaa1a978d615a045929a62432372c.jpeg

Also, I would like to buy 30 cans of black beans, something that I have not yet found in Thailand, so far, but which are ubiquitous in Mexico.

=====

So, my only question is....  Is there a "one-stop" shop here in Thailand where one can easily order these canned goods?

And, will the same shop provide a very decent price?

I mean a decent price for a fairly substantial order...let's say a minimum order of 250 cans of various canned goods?

I expect a discounted price for a high quantity order.

I have no doubt that others, just like me, are wondering the same thing:  Where to find a good source of canned goods.

If we found this good source, then would we not become repeat buyers, for years?

I am not a prepper.

I just want to find a good source of canned goods.

I know that someone in the Farang Pub knows the answer to this question.

Thank you.

Globule

• Haha 2

In other words:

If one were to buy one can of peaches, at Bt.50 per can, one day,

And then, if one decided to buy 100 cans of peaches, the next day,

Wouldn't one expect a price discount on the second day?

However, so far, I have not found this to be true.

Therefore, is there any way to get a good quantity discount for peaches, in Thailand, if one is just an individual buyer, and not a company?

In the past, I have tried to contact the importers/wholesalers directly.

I even once contacted the distributor for Coca-Cola, back in 2013, and tried to order directly 15 cases to store in my house. 

However, even though they finally delivered directly to my home, yet they never gave me even one baht discount less than the normal retail price.

Why? 

• Haha 2

You will find some of what you are looking for at Villa Market. Since many canned items are imported, they often out of stock of some products for what seems like ages but may only be a month. If you have not done so already, have a look if there is a Villa Market near you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, arick said:

Makro sells pre cooked beans in vacuum packed bags at a fraction of the price as canned beans. Can be found in the dried food section and spices. 

Cooked but not refrigerated? Can you please send a photo of the packs of beans and the location in Makro if you get a chance?  

Thanks,

W

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

The lowest cost way to enjoy beans is to buy them dry in 500g packs and cook them.  Usually I only cook 250g of beans at a time. 

I normally keep Great Northern/Navy/white pea beans (e.g. minestrone), red kidney beans (e.g. chili con carne), pinto beans, and black beans on the shelf for various dishes.  Split peas (e.g. pea and ham soup) and split soybeans are also available. 

Cooking dry beans is easiest in a slow cooker but it does take pretty much a whole day,  You can just cook them on a stove top until they are finished, turn the heat off, put the lid on the pot, then reheat when you want to eat them.

Just two days ago I used up the last of my pinto beans to make refried beans to go with chicken enchalads in salsa verde with cheese and Spanish rice.  Not a restaurant presentation but delicious.

IMG20220517173737.jpg

Magnificent. 

Looks scrumptious. 

Mouthwatering, in all honesty. 

• Haha 1

Even before the pandemic I caught a very mild case of the prepper bug, and started stocking canned goods, both meats and vegetables plus beans in both canned and dried form, together with some rice.  Canned goods generally have a 2-5 year shelf life, and buying in bulk or wathcing for sales gives you good awareness of prices and the ability to spot a good deal where it makes sense to stock up.   During the pandemic this approach reduced the frequency that we had to get out for groceries.  It's become a habit now, to watch for sales and buy in buulk the thigns that we know we will use.  But now the payoff  (other than the convenience of having what we need already pre-stocked at home) will be having bought at preices that are pre-inflation and pre-global-food shortage.

As part of that process I refurbished our pressure cooker and have found it to be excellent for dried beans.  Cooks them much faster, and for older beans it's pretty much the only way to get them soft again.  These days about half of our beans are canned vs. dried, the determining factor being how far ahead we plan our meals.  

I guess that's a long way of recommending a pressure cooker for beans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

In other words:

If one were to buy one can of peaches, at Bt.50 per can, one day,

And then, if one decided to buy 100 cans of peaches, the next day,

Wouldn't one expect a price discount on the second day?

However, so far, I have not found this to be true.

Therefore, is there any way to get a good quantity discount for peaches, in Thailand, if one is just an individual buyer, and not a company?

In the past, I have tried to contact the importers/wholesalers directly.

I even once contacted the distributor for Coca-Cola, back in 2013, and tried to order directly 15 cases to store in my house. 

However, even though they finally delivered directly to my home, yet they never gave me even one baht discount less than the normal retail price.

Why? 

Why you may ask, this is Thailand .You pay the same price for one or 50 they want the lot I have never seen any discounts in Thailand  not even for a car if one pays Cash.

• Haha 1

Currently TOPs has their red and white beans  on promo and they have a good range of other legumes, sometimes on promo too, so they are available and are sometimes discounted. Even Big C carries a reasonable range at our local outlet. Makro, not so much are our particular local store.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

canned foods are not for daily eating but for emergencies. Not that healthy, albeit convenient.

One or two tins per week for emergency or for taste, but not 2 daily, every single day.

Makro has large 2-5kg tins. Would be half price of those 450g. Free home delivery on orders over 3k.

Also on Lazada.

Frozen foods are healthier, cheaper.

14 minutes ago, internationalism said:

canned foods are not for daily eating but for emergencies. Not that healthy, albeit convenient.

One or two tins per week for emergency or for taste, but not 2 daily, every single day.

Makro has large 2-5kg tins. Would be half price of those 450g. Free home delivery on orders over 3k.

Also on Lazada.

Frozen foods are healthier, cheaper.

Dried beans are better, but there's nothing wrong with canned beans.  If concerned about additives, salt, sugar, etc, as if not adding yourself when cooking, simply rinse them off.

Frozen are better, and I do buy many veggies frozen, corn, carrots, peas, and some fruits.  Fruits & veggies here are poor quality sometimes, and don't last long.

If going the fresh / dried bean route, then definitely invest in a pressure cooker.

you can't wash from beans because they are soaked for years.

Yes, canned beans are convenient, but not every day. I have stopped cans, bar 3.5kg black olives in brine, because 700g in glass jars are expensive. Can't find dry black olives with stones - my favourable.

Fruits definitely fresh/frozen, not canned - on top of natural sweetness they are in sugar syrup.

I buy frozen only if fresh are not available or if much more expensive. Mostly many different berries, avocado

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

you can't wash from beans because they are soaked for years.

"Does rinsing canned beans remove sodium?

All brands and all varieties of canned beans tested demonstrated reductions in sodium content per serving after draining and draining and rinsing. Across all canned bean varieties and brands tested, the mean reduction in sodium content per serving resulting from draining and rinsing was 41%."

https://beaninstitute.com/to-rinse-or-not-to-rinse/#:~:text=Many people wonder if they,drain and rinse canned beans.