Proof of address paperwork

KarenBravo

Tried to do a Search on this, but for some reason the function has turned into rubbish.

I will be opening a new bank account which is the reason why I need the letter from immigration.

Anyone here that can post all the paperwork needed? Thanks in advance.

If it helps, this is the criteria for opening an account with the Bangkok Bank, foreigner, no Work Permit.

2. Foreigner without work permit    

• Passport    
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document     
    • Embassy located in Thailand or Certified Letter (Bank Form A)      
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT, reference requirements (Bank form C)   
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank or Letter of Reference for Foreigners (Bank form B)
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.    
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.    

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).  

On 5/19/2022 at 5:08 PM, pagallim said:

If it helps, this is the criteria for opening an account with the Bangkok Bank, foreigner, no Work Permit.

2. Foreigner without work permit    

• Passport    
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document     
    • Embassy located in Thailand or Certified Letter (Bank Form A)      
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT, reference requirements (Bank form C)   
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank or Letter of Reference for Foreigners (Bank form B)
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.    
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.    

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).  

Thanks Pag. I got back from Bangkok Bank in Phang-Nga road.

They only really need my passport and the proof of address letter.

I'm opening up a US dollar denominated account. Foreign currency accounts are held at the head office in Bangkok, but you can open one here and then they sent the paperwork.

• Like 1

You might want to consider the location of your new bank. My Krung Thai book is full and I need a new one.  The Chalong branch said that I have to go to Phuket Town - where the account was opened - to get a new book. 

Edit:

Just saw your last post - my Krung Thai branch is in Phang Nga road!

Edited by JetsetBkk

I have accounts with Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and SCB. I can get a new book in any branch. I even opened my Bangkok Bank account almost 30 years ago in Hua Hin. No problem to get a new book either.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Roel said:

I have accounts with Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and SCB. I can get a new book in any branch. I even opened my Bangkok Bank account almost 30 years ago in Hua Hin. No problem to get a new book either.

Sorry, what's your point?

Maybe read my first post. It has nothing to do with bank-books and everything to do with getting a letter from immigration that the bank needs to open another account.

Once the bank account is created, then I'm sure I'll get a bank book.

23 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I will be opening a new bank account which is the reason why I need the letter from immigration

I assume the letter from immigration is a CofR. 

A resident certificate is issued from immigration. 

Do a Google search but most times

I've been asked for 

Photos 

Passport copy and visa

Blue house book or lease if renting (if you have a driver's license your address is shown on the back) 

300 baht 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

ALWAYS check your LOCAL IO for THEIR required documents.

I have received one certificate of residence with PP and TM-30 and photos,  have received another one with PP, TM-30, lease, photos and copy of owners ID.

Same goes for bank, ASK the bank. Opened present account ( in BKK ) with PP and Retirement stamp...4 months later was asked to supply address, no docs required. Have received 3 new bank books at 2 different branches in Korat, my Thai bank card no charges at ANY ATM

Edited by edwardflory
spelling

22 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I'm opening up a US dollar denominated account. Foreign currency accounts are held at the head office in Bangkok, but you can open one here and then they sent the paperwork.

KB, can you update this on what was needed to open the USD account when complete?

I tried at SCB about 10 years ago and it was so complicated I gave up.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:
1 hour ago, Roel said:

Sorry, what's your point?

Maybe read my first post. It has nothing to do with bank-books and everything to do with getting a letter from immigration that the bank needs to open another account.

Once the bank account is created, then I'm sure I'll get a bank book.

Sorry, my fault! ????

I digressed to talking about getting a new Krung Thai bank book and complained that I have to go to the original branch in Phang-nga Road. The Chalong branch wouldn't do it.

Seems like it's not a problem with some other banks. ???? 

1 minute ago, beechbum said:

KB, can you update this on what was needed to open the USD account when complete?

I tried at SCB about 10 years ago and it was so complicated I gave up.

KB can you also say what the advantage is of having such an account. I let my pension money and other monies grow in my UK bank and then periodically use SWIFT to transfer it to my Krung Thai account.

Thanks if you can.

Okay. Firstly, it was Bangkok Bank that insists that they need the CofR. They also needed one for each account I opened with them (one for daily expenses and one for the 800k)

I went in yesterday with just my passport to open the US dollar account.

Meanwhile, they are preparing all the paperwork that will be forwarded to their head office in Bangkok.

Next Monday, I'll stop by the bank to make sure everything is OK, then to immigration for the letter. Then back to the bank to hand it over.

They estimate that it will take two days to open. They will give me a call when it's ready so that I can pick up the book. Minimum amount for first deposit is $1000, though, this can be paid in Baht. After that, deposits must be in US dollars. Minimum balance is only $250.

The reason I'm doing this is that I received an email from Barclays Bank UK that from the 1st June, they will be charging me 40 pounds sterling every month on each account because I haven't got 100,000 pounds (or equivalent) in the account. I have two accounts with them; sterling and US dollar. I don't need the sterling account anymore as it was only opened when I frequently worked in Africa as I was paid in sterling.

The majority of my work was paid in dollars.

If I don't do a thing, they'll be taking 80 pounds sterling per month.

I have already checked other British banks and they all charge (like wounded bulls) exorbitant amounts for the privilege of  being a customer. I'm not going to go along with this blatant rip-off.

Skatewash has already provided the link to the Phuket immigration web-site which lists the paperwork needed.

The letter is not 300Bt, it's free. I usually pay the 200Bt requested, but, this time I'm not going to accept one rip-off to remedy another rip-off. I speak some Thai, so I'll tell them I know it's free.

If you make a song and dance about it, they always give in and as I've already just done my extension, I don't think that in a years time they will remember me so that they can be "awkward".

I'll update this thread as necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Minimum amount for first deposit is $1000, though, this can be paid in Baht. After that, deposits must be in US dollars. Minimum balance is only $250

Good figures. 

I have a US dollar account with Kasikorn Bank, minimum balance is $5000.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:20 PM, KarenBravo said:

I have just opened up 2 new bank account with SCB.  They just wanted a copy of my passport and a copy of my TM30 slip.  No mention whatsoever for a residency certificate.  

Oh and KB, how much did you have to bribe immigration at Phuket to issue you with a RC.  It used to be 500thb more than a decade ago....supposed to be free.

Edited by Adumbration

4 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I have just opened up 2 new bank account with SCB.  They just wanted a copy of my passport and a copy of my TM30 slip.  No mention whatsoever for a residency certificate.  

Oh and KB, how much did you have to bribe immigration at Phuket to issue you with a RC.  It used to be 500thb more than a decade ago....supposed to be free.

The last time I got a CofR, if I recollect correctly, was 200Bt, though it might have been 300Bt. It certainly wasn't higher than that.

Several regular posters on the Phuket sub-forum got the letter free after kicking up a fuss. They always give in as they are scared that you will complain higher up about corruption.

Don't know if he's still there, but a while back, the head of Phuket immigration addressed this issue and said that the CofR was free and that he would not tolerate corruption.

Either that was just for the media, or he has moved on because they are back to there old tricks.

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

The last time I got a CofR, if I recollect correctly, was 200Bt, though it might have been 300Bt. It certainly wasn't higher than that.

Several regular posters on the Phuket sub-forum got the letter free after kicking up a fuss. They always give in as they are scared that you will complain higher up about corruption.

Don't know if he's still there, but a while back, the head of Phuket immigration addressed this issue and said that the CofR was free and that he would not tolerate corruption.

Either that was just for the media, or he has moved on because they are back to there old tricks.

I haven't got one at phuket now for going on 15 years.  But last time I did they charged my 500baht, despite my protests, but they took care to tell me I would get two signed copies not just one.

Last time I got one from Patong Immigration office the CofR was indeed free, however... 'Express administration' was 500baht (Kick up a fuss) they did not give in was told ok Mr come back next week will be leady...  over two years ago but I wager you want it there & then you can kick up what you like I dont know anyone who has not had to pay, everyone I ask pays it if they want it on the day

Guest truthman
On 5/20/2022 at 1:50 PM, Roel said:

Same with me. I can get a new book at any SCB branch.

Ever heard that song "If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all"?

Could have been written for me.

Went to immigration this morning. No electricity for the whole day. They can't actually print the CofR.

PIV said come back Monday. No way. Monday will be pandemonium.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Ever heard that song "If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all"?

Could have been written for me.

Went to immigration this morning. No electricity for the whole day. They can't actually print the CofR.

PIV said come back Monday. No way. Monday will be pandemonium.

Sorry to hear that, KB. There have been a lot of PEA trucks around Chao Fah West in Chalong recently, working on the cables, insulators and/or transformers. I had a day without power last week.

Edit:

My next door neighbour has a diesel-powered electricity generator. You would think that if he could do it for his house, that the very important Immigration office......

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1