Thailand scraps quarantine for air, land arrivals from June 1, ‘Thailand Pass’ only for non-Thais

snoop1130

Covid policies in any country should not be based on who you are.  
In reality it’s inferring that non - citizens don’t belong here. 
But to be fair.  All countries will take care of their own compared to “ outsiders “. And  a countries first responsibility should be to its citizens . 
I  also feel that all visitors and expats should be required to have health insurance coverage during their stay in any country.  Not depend on the theory they might never get injured or seriously sick.  Because if you don’t have enough cash.  That country should not be responsible to “eat” your medical bill. 

15 hours ago, starky said:

Absolute madness. Happy to let unvaccinated people enter unfettered but still make people apply for a pointless document. Unbeli3vable Thailand deserves what it gets. 

If you want real tourist arrivals get rid of the Thailand pass!

The government doesn't prioritise well, does it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

Covid policies in any country should not be based on who you are.  
In reality it’s inferring that non - citizens don’t belong here. 
But to be fair.  All countries will take care of their own compared to “ outsiders “. And  a countries first responsibility should be to its citizens . 
I  also feel that all visitors and expats should be required to have health insurance coverage during their stay in any country.  Not depend on the theory they might never get injured or seriously sick.  Because if you don’t have enough cash.  That country should not be responsible to “eat” your medical bill. 

all countries will take care of their own except outsiders you say 

i suggest you go look at the UK where its totally the opposite Where immigrants get everything and the people from that country get sweet sod all....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

all countries will take care of their own except outsiders you say 

i suggest you go look at the UK where its totally the opposite Where immigrants get everything and the people from that country get sweet sod all....

Well said, but just to correct you, its illegal immigrants get everything!

So Zarathustra (Thai name is  Anutin) spoke ......

You cannot be careful enough with all those dirty farang and alien ???? 

Explains the empty bridge in Nong Khai with hardly any Lao buyers. Makro, Big C and Lotus's are as empty as before. Makro had increased the price for fresh salmon to 735 Baht a kilogramme - in anticipation of the avalanche of Lao buyers of salmon. Well, nobody came and the same fish was available, trimmed and cleaned, at 600 Baht a kilogramme to - most likely - avoid throwing away tons of Norwegian fish. 

Mysterious are the ways of the East! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The vaccines do reduce transmission markedly so you're wrong on the facts there. I previously posted the link so not doing it again. I took my mother on several overseas trips in her late eighties so your comment about old people not flying is absurd. Pelosi recently went to Ukraine in her eighties so there's another example.

10% or less of the eldery people is not representative for all elderly people.. You give 2 examples... I can give another of a woman of 100 years old did skydiving.. Does that mena that all old people are skydiving??

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense, as according to today's Bangkok Post:

"TAT upgrades tourist arrivals forecast

(...) As of May 19, Thailand has welcomed 1.1 million tourists, of which 86,420 came from India, followed by the UK (85,926), Germany (71,173), the US (61,788) and Russia (59,591) (...)"

Wonder, where the (bulk of the) remaining, unmentioned 735,102 tourists came from. Microstates, San Marino, or ...? My bet is that roughly half of them came from the land of unexplainable statistics. After all, all arrivals, incl. returnees (Thais and expats) seem to be counted as 'tourists'...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Why do ex-pats need it if they have 800K in a Thai bank?

Ex-pats using non Imm. 0 visas (marriage/retirement) don't need.  If uising 0-A visa, that may be a different story.

Many expats don't have 800k in the bank, or insurance, or an oops fund. 

Can't fix stupid ... IMHO

The mysterious black [or rather brown] box of Thailand Pass! The child of advanced AI breakthrough technology conceived in bright minds of local engineers and developers! Combining OCR, AI, Big Data, Cloud computing, multi threading and eco-friendly hosting - the amazing achievement on new generation of Thai IT industry in cooperation with Thai MoH and Royal Thai Immigration! All Hail!

Just now, Lacessit said:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Vaccines reduce transmission markedly because the period a vaccinated person is contagious is much less than an unvaccinated person.

COVID is dangerous to everyone, there are healthy people of all ages who are dying from it. The statistics are saying an unvaccinated person is far more likely to be occupying an ICU bed or ventilator than a vaccinated person.

Yeah in theory that's all true. I watched COVID numbers during the vaccine rollouts and it didn't make any difference anywhere in the world. Literally no country has escaped rising infections thanks to these vaccines.

Young people are only dying in the news media. I'm sick of posting my NYC link and CDC stats since it's no match for the media anyways. Have fun with the pandemic but I'm over this.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Ex-pats using non Imm. 0 visas (marriage/retirement) don't need.  If uising 0-A visa, that may be a different story.

Many expats don't have 800k in the bank, or insurance, or an oops fund. 

Can't fix stupid ... IMHO

They still need 400K in the bank, IIRC.

IMO it's a matter of media exposure, impecunious farang cannot pay his hospital bills gets a headline. Shock, horror.

There's no news value in any farang that pays their bills either from their bank account, or via an insurance policy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

10% or less of the eldery people is not representative for all elderly people.. You give 2 examples... I can give another of a woman of 100 years old did skydiving.. Does that mena that all old people are skydiving??

You're trying to make the case that elderly people are disposable to support your preferred lifestyle. Give it a rest, it's reprehensible,

2 hours ago, thetravelbee said:

How crass! So racist and unbelievably ignorant regardless your nationality dude! Shame on you

Just as crass, racist and unbelievably ignorant as are the constant references to fragile (Thai male) egos by the Thai-bashing brigade on here, of course.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

They still need 400K in the bank, IIRC.

Entirely depends on which Imm Office you use.  Mine, marriage 40k a month, using now, and In Nov, will switch to retirement @ 65k a month.  Money comes in every month, I spend it every month.  Rarely carry a balance > 5k baht.

Too simply and do you really want to live here on less, if not having insurance or an oops fund.

IMHO ... if you can't rustle up 400k or 800k, you probably really shouldn't be living in a foreign country, without insurance, or that 400k oops fund.  

Edited by KhunLA