Thailand scraps quarantine for air, land arrivals from June 1, ‘Thailand Pass’ only for non-Thais

snoop1130

20 hours ago, starky said:

Absolute madness. Happy to let unvaccinated people enter unfettered but still make people apply for a pointless document. Unbeli3vable Thailand deserves what it gets. 

If you want real tourist arrivals get rid of the Thailand pass!

Why is it that only foreigners are desperate to get tourists back, Thais are not bothered.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, garyk said:

It really does not matter what they do at this point. I mean they could open completely and no one would come.

The world is slipping into a recession. They have made every blunder you could possibly imagine for a country reliant on tourism.

Anyone still traveling with any brains will bypass Thailand.  It is a no brainer at this point.

Well said and actually true in my case. I have a fairly good travel stash after 2,3 years of Covid. I am spending up in Bali soon and now in Penang and parts of Malaysia’s East coast where the water is warm and my age and minor infirmity is taken care of. I understand the attraction of young and pretty Thai females. Good on you guys but for us older travellers and foodies, Thai cuisine is just not enough of a pull with the regs and rules still in force now. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nexus99 said:

Bim, you must be an antivaxxer. We all know that vaccines aren't 100% and the unvaccinated are a threat to all, vaxed or not. Its obvious what your opinion is, but yo9u spreading misinformation is immoral and dangerous.

Everyone I know has already had COVID (vaxxed or not) at least once.

What's wrong with you?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Why not just treat everyone equally... 

Tell that to the British government, one of the worst countries in the world for discrimination, but very good at disguising the fact.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I can't make sense of it. Wear a mask on your motorbike, as covid should be your greatest fear in life. But, allow unvaccinated people into the country. Am I missing something here? Are they saying vaccines don't matter? Or are they finally saying we desperately need tourists? And if the latter, why not scrap the stupid Thailand pass? 

Where is the common sense? 

If they should wear helmets as they wear masks on the motorbikes it would save a lot of lives

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why is it that only foreigners are desperate to get tourists back, Thais are not bothered.

Well I'm not desperate to get tourists back I live here. Couldnt give af tbh. I think tat might disagree with you in that regard, or why would they be releasing statements every 5 minutes about how many millions are chomping at the bit to come to Thailand? I would also say there are plenty of Thais connected to the tourist industry that would love to see the joint swarming again as well.

Sure the junta, sorry, elected government probably aren't bothered but that aren't bothered about anything but making more filthy lucre and I'll gotten gains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ther e is an opportubity for someone to make cash under the table whenever there is an old  rule or a new set of rules added and governments know and support that as being an extra avenue of income. We farangs are an excelent source of this extra income... 

Thais that complain about our presence in their country also cried and moaned when there was no farangs present...... confused population     

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I suspect they will drop the Thailand Pass requirement for foreigners next quarter and that it is linked (in government's mind) to the start of the 300 baht arrival surcharge which will help reimburse government hospitals for foreigner's unpaid medical bills. (Which in no way means foreigners will nto still be charged and pressured to pay in full).

As ridiculous and useless as the insurance requirement is, Anutin is fixated on it and will not back down on this point until he has some excuse for doing so.

Of course, could have the insurance requirement without Thailand Pass - -hardly difficult to check vaccination status & insurance at boarding and on arrival , many countries did/do it. Fir that matter, Thailoand does it - most travellers report having these documents checked in addition to the thailand Pass QR.  But they are also fixated on the idea that the Thailand Pass serves a vital function in checking documentation.

What if your a person like me who has significant international medical insurance who is in and out of Thailand all the time? Guess I will be getting stung an extra 300 baht every month despite having a million dollar US medical coverage. Great.

53 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

It's been shown in the UK and elsewhere  deaths from covid are flawed and not accurate as anyone admitted to hospital during this madness was classed as a covid case even if it was a RTA or anything for that matter . Undertakers contacted by government agencies were told to mark down deaths as covid even though they were never tested for covid . Numerous undertakers have clarified this . But you won't see this on MSM . Anyone highlighting this was called a conspiracy theorist. ????

Links?

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Complete rubbish, tourism was 15-20% of Thai GDP. Thais in the tourist industry are desperate for tourism to return. I know a multilingual tour guide who has not had work for two years, survives by running a street stall.

Some foreigners living here would prefer for mass tourism not to return, so they can enjoy the peace and quiet. Others can see the harm dumb government policy is inflicting on ordinary Thais, I guess you are not one of them.

You need to get out a bit more. During the pandemic I have travelled the length and breadth of Thailand and there has been plenty of domestic tourists about. Only places affected are those that cater for foreigners and the only whinging about lack of foreigners is from foreigners on this forum.

Plenty of building sites around here for your tour guide and others to work.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, starky said:

Well I'm not desperate to get tourists back I live here. Couldnt give af tbh.

But quite prepared to rant, your words.

"Absolute madness. Happy to let unvaccinated people enter unfettered but still make people apply for a pointless document. Unbeli3vable Thailand deserves what it gets. 

If you want real tourist arrivals get rid of the Thailand pass!"

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Everyone I know has already had COVID (vaxxed or not) at least once.

What's wrong with you?

I did not get covid , i did stay away from anyone for 2.5y , except for work . And yes you could very well take it literally , no visitor , no restaurant visit , nothing at all for 2.5y .

Having said that ,

So the rules are getting more stronger again , i am fully vaccinated , i did not need a negative test right now to enter , now i need one ... fails me why but ok .

On 5/20/2022 at 8:41 PM, John Drake said:

Still won't let go of the insurance scam.

Ok, I have asked this question to several posters who shout "insurance scam" yet not one has replied. Not a single one.   Maybe you can be the first?

Explain the scam.  That is all I ask.  You can use any insurance company you like - Thai or foreign.  The requirement ($10k cover) is super minimal and has been continually reduced (form $100k to $50k to $20k to $10k).  You are NOT mandated to use a Thai company and I would suggest most foreign tourists buy travel insurance in their own country., so the majority of policies will be provided by foreign companies.   If you are employed in Thailand (as a foreigner) you are covered by social security and don't need further insurance at all.

None of that exactly says scam does it?  A scam would usually have a single beneficiary, no?

So come on, you can be the first.  I know you have collected all your "likes" already for shouting scam so it is job done for you, but it is really boring and I just want one single scam shouter to reply and explain it.  

• Like 2

Some kind of app will probably be permanent.  To get a QR code, like many other countries already.  Very simple  in most cases optimally no more pfaffing about with paper arrival forms that can be lost. Maybe in 15 years they will do away with immigration chops/passport stamps also.????

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:07 PM, Lacessit said:
On 5/20/2022 at 7:33 PM, CartagenaWarlock said:

and no possibility of getting a bride at their age. 

I am quite happy here, I live as I want to. I'd have to be a multi-millionaire in Australia to have a GF 23 years younger than me, as I do here.

You keep banging on about anger and frustration of farangs living here. I'd suggest you are cherry-picking the posters who suit your confirmation bias.

Seems the cherry was well picked !!!....  (apologies... you confirmed the bias which I found entertaining). 

More on topic: The Thailand Pass is outrageously stupid unless it migrates to a ‘visa system’ in which case it’s an evolution to a faster online system which makes the process easier / smarter.... lets see where this goes.

Down the line the Thailand Pass may also serve to ensure Tourists have health / medical insurance which has long been a bone of contention for Thai authorities who easily forget the tourist spend and focus only on the medical costs owed by tourists for inflated treatment they couldn’t afford because they were un-insured when they came off their scooter in shorts and flip-flops... 

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

You need to get out a bit more. During the pandemic I have travelled the length and breadth of Thailand and there has been plenty of domestic tourists about. Only places affected are those that cater for foreigners and the only whinging about lack of foreigners is from foreigners on this forum.

Plenty of building sites around here for your tour guide and others to work.

Quite true, and how much do you think those domestic tourists are spending? Got any figures? On holiday, my observation is a family of half a dozen Thais will occupy a single hotel room.

As far as golf tourism goes, it's dead. Caddies that used to make 9-10K baht/month are now scraping to make 2-3K/month, and I have never seen a Thai tip more than the bare minimum.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:07 PM, Lacessit said:

I am quite happy here, I live as I want to. I'd have to be a multi-millionaire in Australia to have a GF 23 years younger than me, as I do here.

You keep banging on about anger and frustration of farangs living here. I'd suggest you are cherry-picking the posters who suit your confirmation bias.

As for the Thailand Pass, obviously the elite could not care less about the unemployment in the tourist industry, arising from their decision to keep life difficult for the average tourist.

GF? Money friend...She can not wait for you to be gone.

• Haha 1