Update: Police don't believe "Ek Bang Lamung" who attacked Russian jogger in Pattaya - it was sexually motivated

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Police in Pattaya believe the attack by a local man on a female Russian jogger was sexually motivated.

Region 2 chief Pol Maj-Gen Theeradech Thammasuthee and other senior officers have been interviewing Kantheephop Thanachotsomboon, or Ek, 37, after his arrest on a warrant. 

Elena Y., 38, was brutally assaulted on 18th May at around 8 pm. She suffered multiple injuries but was able to get away and find help from a member of the public.

She has still been unable to give evidence because her injuries were so serious. 

Police used CCTV to trace the assailant's Mazda pick-up.

He claimed that he had stress from work, family and financial worries, reported Siam Rath

He claimed that he self-harmed usually and showed marks on his arms to supposedly prove this.

But on this occasion he decided to take out his frustrations on a stranger. He admitted he had been drinking.

He said that it was only stress relief and further claimed he had no intention of raping the victim.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Theeradech said this was nonsense. The man clearly ambushed the Russian lady and the attack was premeditated and planned.

He had followed her in his pick-up and on seeing that she had entered a quiet and lonely area, made a U-turn so that he could attack her.

He called Ek a menace to society and someone who had damaged Thailand's reputation, what with the victim being a foreigner. 

Ek has so far just been charged with serious assault, the wording of the warrant.

Thai Rath did not say if this would be upgraded to attempted rape. 

Their report contained reference to demands placed on the investigation by RTP chief Gen Suwat Chaengyodsuk and senior advisor Pol Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakpan as well as moves to improve lighting and CCTV surveillance in the area of the attack.

It happened near a reservoir in the Nong Prue police jurisdiction. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

19 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

happened near a reservoir in the Nong Prue police jurisdiction. 

I live a 2 minute walk from the gates on Soi Siam, apart from the street lights on the main road it is as black as the Ace of Spades in there, I wouldn't dream of walking down there at night.

Be good if they installed some lights in there as it forms part of the exercise loop that runners, walkers & cyclists use, the distance is about 12 km I believe, my Mrs regularly does 3 circuits.

I thought this road was only around 5-6km long between the gates. The road is following the lake, and that is just around 4 km long, I assume.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Been a while since I did my own exercise there.

Off topic though.

1 minute ago, thaibreaker said:

I thought this road was only around 5-6km long between the gates. The road is following the lake, and that is just around 4 km long, I assume.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Been a while since I did my own exercise there.

Off topic though.

The cycle track goes all the way around the lake, parallel with the roads, the bit between the gates is perhaps 3 - 4km at most. Don't know where you live at present but if you've never seen the newish cycle/walking track you're missing a treat ????????

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

The cycle track goes all the way around the lake, parallel with the roads, the bit between the gates is perhaps 3 - 4km at most. Don't know where you live at present but if you've never seen the newish cycle/walking track you're missing a treat ????????

Aha, okey! Yea, I thought 5-6 km was stretching it too.. ????

Haven't seen that, so then I have a treat on my next visit. As said it's been a while, but I used to hang around Mabprachan a lot.

Thanks for the info, buddy ????

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

Yea I thought 5-6 km was stretching it too.. ????

Haven't seen that, so then I have a treat on my next visit. As said it's been a while, but I used to hang around Mabprachan a lot.

Thanks for the info, buddy ????

If you Google Pattaya cycling track you should see plenty of info including a report in Pattaya Mail, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

But what is puzzling, why she can't testify. She is seen on the video energetically moving and waving her arms for help. Earlier reports about multiple bruising, including head. Unless it's a brain injury with swelling, resulting in concussion, she should be able to talk.

Thanks, Doc, we're lucky that we've got you to report back after examining her!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He called Ek a menace to society and someone who had damaged Thailand's reputation, what with the victim being a foreigner. 

Thailand has a world-wide reputation... safety of foreigners is not high on the list.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, morrobay said:

Who cares what this lowlife says. What do you do with a dog that bites someone 

I, and everybody else agrees, with you...however, the justice system here is so pathetic, the judge could well feel sympathy for this low life

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

He claimed that he self-harmed usually and showed marks on his arms to supposedly prove this.

Hopefully next time when he’s back out on the street, which will be soon after a few wai’s, he will slit his throat instead of his arms.

Wow, his confession and the supporting CCTV video wasn't enough??  I guess it's hard to pick someone out a police lineup when you're attacked from behind while running at night.

5 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Well done to the cops for getting him.

hope he goes monkey house for a long time.

He's been released, check the link posted by @morrobay a few post above.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Based on the video I saw and report it didn't happen on the SoI Siam side that entrance the gate isn't open to vehicle just on left a small opening for pedistrian and bike.  The video I saw was on the other side of the lake Soi Chopawitti?   Where there is no exercise path I wouldn't  call this a reservoir but the upper portion is more what I call a levee a surface road if one is to exercise that would be the safest area the lower portion lots of tree bushes certainly that time of the evening?

Edited by thailand49