Labor has won the 2022 Federal Election

53 minutes ago, steven100 said:

God help Australia ......      because they'll need it    !

Aussies really don't think sometimes ....     You made your bed Australia.

it is better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Unemployment was at it lowest in years.

Morrison was tough on China ... and especially border security,  so now you have a guy named Albanese ...lol.   What do you think China will do now ? they will be rubbing their hands together with glee.

So now we go back to the revolving door of Aussie PM's again.  Gillard, Rudd, Abbott, Turnbull .....  and now Albanese .. all in the space of 4-5 years.    

Morrison was 'tough' on China by way of rehtoric, but didn't actually do anything meaningful other than increase Defence spending so Oz could fire a few more missiles than before against a nuclear armed PRC.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

God help Australia ......      because they'll need it    !

Aussies really don't think sometimes ....     You made your bed Australia.

it is better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Unemployment was at it lowest in years.

Morrison was tough on China ... and especially border security,  so now you have a guy named Albanese ...lol.   What do you think China will do now ? they will be rubbing their hands together with glee.

So now we go back to the revolving door of Aussie PM's again.  Gillard, Rudd, Abbott, Turnbull .....  and now Albanese .. all in the space of 4-5 years.    

No need to panic, pretty much nothing has changed. Both main parties have policies which probably overlap 95% and are getting paid by the same donors.

Albo seems like nice progressive guy but he is a typical Aussie politician who haven't had a proper job in his life.

Big chunk of the populace has been brainwashed that the only way to get rich is to "climb the property ladder",  and one of the main tunes of the campaign was how to find more money to pump in residential property.

So...yawn. Actually there is a breath of fresh air with so many independents elected and the advance of the Greens, but in the end they probably won't matter much.

2 hours ago, Wagga said:

FYI...It's called a 'bonnet' and 'boot' in Oz. Get ya facts straight

Well, yes, that's what I always thought, that Australia was using Commonwealth English or British English, but when I saw Labor, not Labour, I started to wonder whether things had changed.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:43 AM, Puccini said:

Seeing the slogan "Labor" on posters in BBC World News today I was wondering if the new Australian government will make Latin the new official language of the country, or perhaps that slogan and party name is in US English.

I seems that I was wrong in thinking that Australian English was "colour proof", ie colour, not color; labour, not labor; honour, not honor; etc, with a car bonnet and boot, not hood and trunk, etc.

Originally spelt 'labour', but changed to 'labor' in 1912 to try and differentiate from British Empire association. With usual meanings it's spelt 'labour', 'colour' etc in Australia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Originally spelt 'labour', but changed to 'labor' in 1912 to try and differentiate from British Empire association. With usual meanings it's spelt 'labour', 'colour' etc in Australia

How's this "empire disassociation" going then?

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How's this "empire disassociation" going then?

Multiple referendums failed to get over the line for a Republic☺️ perhaps Labor will have another try...

Edited by simple1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:28 PM, Meat Pie 47 said:

I guess they don't have to, but people have a short memory now they complain about .25 % interest rate when I bought my first home I paid 17.5 % interest under Labor and Keating said that is the recession we had to have.

Old man, your time has passed. Australia just voted out right wing anti science, anti truth religious <deleted>nuttery. My guess is you’d be better served forgetting about Australia and hooking your wagon to the Trump assclowns in the US - all that q anon dimwittedness will suit to a tea. ????????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:

A very sad day in Australian politics.    Well Australia,  you made your bed again just when Morrison was handling things pretty good and the economy was just starting to tick over again.  

Scott Morrison was tough against China and he was adamant about military defence and having US bases in the top end.   I think he's a better leader than Albanese ........  

The problem with Aussies is they don't think about Australia's border security ....  they just think, oh she'll be just fine.  Well  lets see if the illegal smuggler boats start again and China will be rubbing their hands at a new PM.    

Australia's opposition to China should be #1  as just look at what happened with the Solomon Islands and China.  

You'll all be eating fried rice within the next 10 yrs. 

Labor will be fine with border security, it would be political suicide otherwise. Morrison made a huge error of judgement with the Soloman Islands. Also totally screwed up by letting off the corporate world for ripping off the tax payer for more than $30 billion for Covid support. Let alone the submarine contracts which were a massively expensive fiasco as well as other Defence purchases.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Labor will be fine with border security, it would be political suicide otherwise. Morrison made a huge error of judgement with the Soloman Islands. Also totally screwed up by letting off the corporate world for ripping off the tax payer for more than $30 billion for Covid support.

I think the Solomon Island - China linkup was arranged well by the Chinese, possibly over a period of secret phone calls and meetings and I imagine a suitcase full of cash with promises of economic expansion bla .. bla ... bla  and I really doubt any Aussie PM could have persuaded the Solomons to do otherwise.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, simple1 said:

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Wow, how I’ll informed and incorrect are you….Morrison is insanely unpopular amongst the Australian people and also with large sections of his own party. Liberal politicians  tried to get him to resign 6 months ago so he didn’t take the whole party down with him. He was <deleted> weak against China - he is directly responsible for China’s increased presence in the Solomon Islands as all he ever tried to do was politicise foreign policy for electoral advantage - all to the detriment of Australias national security and economy. As for the dog whistle racism of border security - it’s over mate, no one is buying that nonsense anymore, Pauline Hanson may very well lose her Senate seat and Palmer spent 80 million all for naught. Then again it’s not as if we should have expected any better from you, being Prayuth’s number one fan and all. Biden beat Trump , Albanese beat Morrison…care to guess what Prayuth has coming?

wow.... you have an answer for everything and only 8 posts.  Ignore button for you ......

As poster @gearbox mentioned earlier,  their policies are not that much different anyway.  But I certainly hope Albanese keeps on top of the China threat.  Last weeks Chinese military vessel scouring the coastline for intel gathering is a prime example of the seriousness of the issue.  I have said all along that Australia needs more larger US military bases in the top end, even if only as a deterrent. 

Solomon Island now .....  what next ?   PNG  ....   it's certainly possible.

Edited by steven100

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

As poster @gearbox mentioned earlier,  their policies are not that much different anyway.  But I certainly hope Albanese keeps on top of the China threat.  Last weeks Chinese military vessel scouring the coastline for intel gathering is a prime example of the seriousness of the issue.  I have said all along that Australia needs more larger US military bases in the top end, even if only as a deterrent. 

More military bases in the Top End… that wouldn’t be the same place that Morrison and the Liberals signed a 99 year lease for the Chines to take over the port of Darwin would it? How much Kool Aid have you actually drunk gramps?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

There is a China threat, but not as the pollies present it to their high school dropout populace. The China threat is technological, not military, and none of the parties have a clue how to approach this. The trade patterns between China and Australia are that of first world country trading with third world one, guess which one is the third world.

The Chinese are massively deploying solar wind and nuclear energy, the time will come sooner or later when they won't need our coal and gas, we better learn how to make thongs and t-shirts to be able to offer something in exchange for their goods.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

You don't think Oz assets are monitoring PRC for intelligence e.g. submarine tapping under sea cables,