37-year-old suspect who allegedly assaulted Russian tourist in Pattaya released by police due to lack of victim’s testimony

webfact

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its seems quite plausible that considering it was pitch black and no lights in the area that the victim didn't get a reliable clear look at the guy and therefore wasn't able to identify him , that is why I believe it .

Why do you disbelieve it ?

It's not about getting "a reliable clear look at the guy." As others have said, if he murdered her, the police would have to identify the offender by other means, so if the victim, due to concussion, poor lighting etc, could truly not assist police with identifying the offender, they should still be investigating other ways of putting him at the crime scene.

How is it they arrested the guy, if the victim couldn't identify him?  The answer is, there were other ways to identify him, and now they just need to take that identification further, rather than the whole case rely on the victim picking the offender out in a photo ID or parade. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leaver said:

It's not about getting "a reliable clear look at the guy." As others have said, if he murdered her, the police would have to identify the offender by other means, so if the victim, due to concussion, poor lighting etc, could truly not assist police with identifying the offender, they should still be investigating other ways of putting him at the crime scene.

How is it they arrested the guy, if the victim couldn't identify him?  The answer is, there were other ways to identify him, and now they just need to take that identification further, rather than the whole case rely on the victim picking the offender out in a photo ID or parade. 

Yes, but they only have a certain number of days before they either have to charge him with an offence or release him or ask the Court for permission to detain him further .

The Police may have been expecting/relying on the victim to identify the attacker as soon as she was able to and when she couldn't identify him. they had no other choice but to release him .

The Police need to follow laws and procedures 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes

Yes, indeed.

they only have a certain number of days before they either have to charge him with an offence or release him or ask the Court for permission to detain him further .

So ask the Court.   Did they?  If not, why not?

The Police may have been expecting/relying on the victim to identify the attacker as soon as she was able to

Why solely rely on the victim's identification?  There are other ways to put the offender at the crime scene.  It's laziness / incompetence. 

when she couldn't identify him. they had no other choice but to release him .

Wrong. 

You posted another option that was available to them.

The Police need to follow laws and procedures 

Is collecting tea money part of the "law ad procedures?" 

Edited by Leaver

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have already stated as to the possibility's why .

Shall I tell you again ?

"The Police may have been expecting/relying on the victim to identify the attacker as soon as she was able to and when she couldn't identify him. they had no other choice but to release him ."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Yes, indeed.

Why solely rely on the victim's identification?  There are other ways to put the offender at the crime scene.  It's laziness / incompetence. 

Wrong. 

Well the fact that he has been rearrested again and now facing further charges , shows no bribes were paid .

Thats some peoples answer to everything : "Brown envelopes" 

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am a strong believer in if the courts don't prosecute, or find a case not proven, or let them go with a warning, then you take the law into your own hands and dish out the justice yourself, that is if the crime was committed against you, and you witnessed it yourself so there is no doubt he was guilty.

But it seems as though there was only one witness and she cannot remember anything about the attack.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan O said:

Not the same. Retracting your guilty admission is done at trial. Its considered evidence in most all countries., except here apparently.  Theres nothing that says he retracted his admission, the police declined to charge and hold him or issue an arrest warranty due to the victims loss of memory. He could have still been arrested and charged and sorted out at trial . The trial decides innocence and guilt in most countries. 

But to get him to trial the police must have compelling evidence to hand to the Prosecutor who has to decide if the evidence will stand up in court.

It seems as though there was not enough convincing evidence to even get it to the courts, let alone secure a guilty verdict.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have already stated as to the possibility's why .

Shall I tell you again ?

"The Police may have been expecting/relying on the victim to identify the attacker as soon as she was able to and when she couldn't identify him. they had no other choice but to release him ."

It's laziness / incompetence to expect / rely solely on a victim's identification.  

Say they expected / relied solely on a witness identification, and that witness died in a motorbike accident a week later, the case collapses, because they failed to pursue other methods of investigation that go to identification. 

A thorough investigation incorporates some redundancy. 

20 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well the fact that he has been rearrested again and now facing further charges , shows no bribes were paid .

Thats some peoples answer to everything : "Brown envelopes" 

And between arrest, and rearrest, say he fled to Dubai, for example, or committed another crime, possibly murdering someone, where's the justice, and protection of the community?

What would your words be to the victim, or his next victim, while he was released? 

Brown envelopes or not, 3rd World policing in a 3rd World Country. 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

But to get him to trial the police must have compelling evidence to hand to the Prosecutor who has to decide if the evidence will stand up in court.

It seems as though there was not enough convincing evidence to even get it to the courts, let alone secure a guilty verdict.

There seems to be more than enough compelling evidence with his confession to that incident and also a number if others, Video of his vehicle following her and making the u turn to come to her . Only thing missing was her ability to say it was him as a result of the injuries.

They have made similar cases in the past with much less evidence but for some unspoken reason they choose not to charge him and let tte court decide. Its not the same although same end result

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense, it's not "only in Thailand, eh".  Confessions alone, without corroborating evidence such as in this case, don't get past the prosecutor's office in any country.  

sorry Scouse .. wrong

I guess the clothes the woman was wearing were not taken to a lab to see if there was

any of the guys DNA on them.  I seen that in movies, but in the reality of this being Thailand

and all, would make this possibility small.  Maybe that is why the case is not closed yet, and it takes

time for lab results. Hmmm.  My thoughts on this incident. I am hoping that the woman recovers and

can provide more information on her attack.

17 hours ago, Dan O said:

The victim never accused anyone as she has a loss of memory from the attack. The police tracked and identified him and then he admitted it, along with multiple other attacks in the past.  Something else is going on in the background it appears.  It wouldn't be surprising if he knows someone

,  is related to someone or there's some connection somehow 

Probably just the old story , money was exchanged !

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one can like this situation, obviously, but if the police have no actual evidence against him for the attack and the victim cannot testify against him in court, how far do you think a case could go if he pleads not guilty?   It wouldn't even get past the prosecutor's office.

Did he not confess his guilt ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Probably just the old story , money was exchanged !

Yeah, something else is going on. I know that's a shock but TIT.  They've arrested and pressed charges on others with less evidence and only a confession before so its kinda pathetic the handling of this case

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I can take as much as you can deliver you didn't correct a thing all you did like many find a statement quote it back without understanding the legal meaning you basically shot yourself in the foot or more put it in your mouth. 

You got one thing right 4myego! 

The point is, they couldn't charge him, therefore he walks free, no evidence that will hold up in a court of law, what part of that, don't you get ?

I suppose you would believe that cops here don't coerce people into making confessions, hence the reason courts won't accept a confession on their own.

It is in isolation.  There may have been CCTV of him in the area but that is not evidence of his attacking the woman. 

I think we go nowhere with this. I have seen you support those who attack women in another thread and recall we could not agree. I would prefer such predators be off the streets. 

We simply do 'he said she said' as this guy perhaps cruises another area to satiate his admitted need to release stress by attacking women.. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I can take as much as you can deliver you didn't correct a thing all you did like many find a statement quote it back without understanding the legal meaning you basically shot yourself in the foot or more put it in your mouth. 

You got one thing right 4myego! 

12 Awesome Things About Spring Only Horse People Understand

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

Where, specifically, did it state that "he was placed at the scene of the attack"?   Wasn't his vehicle just seen in the area?

Pedantic nit picking. 

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

AFAIK there was no CCTV coverage and no lighting in the area where the lady was attacked.

You are wrong.

I saw some stills at the gates of his vehicle and the road around the lake,  I am not here to do your work for you. 

Anyhow, I am not wasting more time on this  attempt to free the predators to attack daughters, 

Edited by jacko45k

33 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The point is, they couldn't charge him, therefore he walks free, no evidence that will hold up in a court of law, what part of that, don't you get ?

I suppose you would believe that cops here don't coerce people into making confessions, hence the reason courts won't accept a confession on their own.

Oh I get it ego what you don't get is my opinion as noted try blocking one ear,  there is no indication of " coerce " who I know it happens that is what I like to do here for a living. 

Then the confession which you again missed,  since you are so into the way the West operate,  it comes to training if it exist here which when it comes to the Nongprue Police zero got it zero they barely could figure out an accident. 

You take the confusion,  question it over and over again to see if the story changes, location you go there look for signs and evidence to confirm his story,  but of course if you think coerce was used why beat the hell out of the guy then let him go. 

What I do know I live right there from day one to the time I saw the video nothing matches reported it happened on Soi Siam entrance when in fact the video showed it happened at another entrance. 

Whatever evidence is gone tainted one thing we can agree I'm sure!  

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, indeed.

Wrong. 

You posted another option that was available to them.

well it is much practised procedure, perhaps not lawful, but a procedure

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

but of course if you think coerce was used why beat the hell out of the guy then let him go. 

One could say prematurely as they anticipated the victim making a positive ID, in other words, the horse bolted before the cart, over and out on this.

• Like 1

Funny to read the first thread on this where members of AN PRAISE the RTP for their quick arrest and their knowledge of police work and this thread where the same members are blaming the RTP and Thai Justice for the release of the culprit.