37-year-old suspect who allegedly assaulted Russian tourist in Pattaya released by police due to lack of victim’s testimony

webfact

Absolutely disgusting behavior from the police, and I can’t even believe that it’s legal. This is not a guy stealing a bottle of Sangsom , it’s a brutal attack. Doesn’t matter from where the person comes, or what age,. The attacker said himself he was guilty, that he had to vent his anger . To me, this sounds like the guy needs serious help and doesn’t belong on the streets. 
Shame on the police, I hope this goes out as a warning to all tourists wanting to visit the country. Needs public outrage from locals too. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um, have you ever heard of coercion ?

This is why they need the victim to also identify him, as it backs up his statement.

A statement by the alleged perpetrator would be kicked out of court based on insufficient evidence. i.e. a statement on it's own is in admissible. 

First you didn't comprehend my statement!  Your remarks are based in the West!  There is no evidence in any of the reports including this one of any Coercion so that is quickly out of the window!

Then this is Thailand I know you have heard of that one!  Since there is no evidence of Coercion once his vehicle was located and the owner quickly admitted it was him due to stress as I noted that admission and Thailand they should be able to hold him longer until his admission and information provided by the victim can be investigated his details are verified. As one noted here DNA, in a attack like this there should be something but if you know the Nongprue police I seriously doubt any of them have a clue where to start their assets is drinking, playing on their phones, and double up riding collecting protection money daily whatever DNA has already been destroyed on their part without knowing thus as you noted her statement is admissible.

There is no law that I know that says the police can only hold him for a specific amount of hours? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

There is no law that I know that says the police can only hold him for a specific amount of hours? 

A suspect arrested in Thailand can be detained for up to 48 hours in the Police Station for investigation. The Arresting Officers must present a Warrant of Arrest or have informed the suspect of his offence. Police may conduct searches and seizures without a warrant when they have reasonable grounds to consider.

You cannot be arrested without evidence. In order to be arrested for a criminal offense a police officer must have probable cause. Probable cause is a legal standard less than reasonable doubt.

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

No you not confused the problem is your EGO????

I believe your EGO is bigger than mine.

You made a big statement and I corrected you, can you live with that ?

2 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

I think she did it by her self.

The Thai man must be not guilty. 

Thai man don't do things like this to women or other humans or animals....

A silly  comment- rules of evidence  and police  procedure is being discussed here- not adolescent, prejudices. To put your view  in context  read the article from the UK Independent referencing  the lamentable state of prosecution in the UK for crimes of violence.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

First you didn't comprehend my statement!  Your remarks are based in the West!  There is no evidence in any of the reports including this one of any Coercion so that is quickly out of the window!

Then this is Thailand I know you have heard of that one!  Since there is no evidence of Coercion once his vehicle was located and the owner quickly admitted it was him due to stress as I noted that admission and Thailand they should be able to hold him longer until his admission and information provided by the victim can be investigated his details are verified. As one noted here DNA, in a attack like this there should be something but if you know the Nongprue police I seriously doubt any of them have a clue where to start their assets is drinking, playing on their phones, and double up riding collecting protection money daily whatever DNA has already been destroyed on their part without knowing thus as you noted her statement is admissible.

Because  you know nothing about the law! LOL

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...or the police do not have any empirical evidence against him, which they would need.  An accused can retract an admission at any time

Not the same. Retracting your guilty admission is done at trial. Its considered evidence in most all countries., except here apparently.  Theres nothing that says he retracted his admission, the police declined to charge and hold him or issue an arrest warranty due to the victims loss of memory. He could have still been arrested and charged and sorted out at trial . The trial decides innocence and guilt in most countries. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

A suspect arrested in Thailand can be detained for up to 48 hours in the Police Station for investigation. The Arresting Officers must present a Warrant of Arrest or have informed the suspect of his offence. Police may conduct searches and seizures without a warrant when they have reasonable grounds to consider.

You cannot be arrested without evidence. In order to be arrested for a criminal offense a police officer must have probable cause. Probable cause is a legal standard less than reasonable doubt.

Thanks!

Based on what you quoted CCTV allowed the police to locate the vehicle and individual. At that point yes they had probable cause within the legal right to detain him he CONFUSED when that happens he longer is privilege to that 48hours,  it is then the job of police to continue to question him gather his story particular his movement and action back to the scene of the crime verify gather the evidence.  Clothing,  foot prints,  etc including waiting to question the victim which also means find a interptetor your quote 48 no longer applies! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe your EGO is bigger than mine.

You made a big statement and I corrected you, can you live with that ?

I can take as much as you can deliver you didn't correct a thing all you did like many find a statement quote it back without understanding the legal meaning you basically shot yourself in the foot or more put it in your mouth. 

You got one thing right 4myego! 

Edited by thailand49

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And was the video evidence of his vehicle withdrawn too? I did not hear that his confession was retracted.. did you? Set him free to perpetrate further violence on women seems to be supported here!

AFAIK there was no CCTV coverage and no lighting in the area where the lady was attacked. Can you tell us where the CCTV showed his vehicle to be around that time?

If he retracted his confession, and he can, where is the evidence? He could claim that the confession was forced out of him, and then what?

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But it is not 'in isolation' is it? There is evidence placing him at the scene. If he has confessed also, that is enough to hold him while a case is developed. He can be held for 48 hrs.  

Your statement 'No prosecutor will ever indict based on nothing more than just a confession' cannot be supported. People have been executed based on confessions! Corpus delicti does not apply here as there is evidence of a crime, an injured woman.

W evidence placed him at the scene? In the area, certainly but not I think at the scene of the crime? It seems from what I have read that there were no lights nor CCTV at the alleged scene of the crime, so how can you say he WAS at the scene of the crime.

I agree with most of Liverpool Lou's comment about justice, How many times have people commented on AN and TV that the police have faked the evidence against people and that convicted them.

This time the police say they have not enough evidence to take to the Prosecutor for him to issue an indictment and posters are up in arms about it.

I don't expect that any poster on here has visited the scene of the crime, examined the police evidence, tried to get a prosecution etc.

My comment is that without evidence he cannot be charged of any crime other than his alleged confession and for being in the area. How big is the area in question? 1 sq/km, 2, 5, even as much as 10 sq/km is in the area.

Actually it is the old adage.

He is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. It seems as the police could not get enough evidence to satisfy the Prosecutor to take the case to court.

Why they don't have enough evidence is another matter known only to the police investigators.

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I agree with most of Liverpool Lou's comment about justice, How many times have people commented on AN and TV that the police have faked the evidence against people and that convicted them.

This time the police say they have not enough evidence to take to the Prosecutor for him to issue an indictment and posters are up in arms about it.

Fabricating evidence is a crime.  Closing an investigation without properly investigating is laziness and / or incompetence. 

Either way, shame on the Thai Police. 

13 hours ago, Dan O said:

Not only did he confess to this attack, he also admitted to doing this same thing on a number of other occasions.  Nice police and judicial systems we have here.  Hopefully she regains some memory and can identify him before he does this again or worse.   Perhaps some locals may have a different view of justice. 

incredible... and yet, not surprising. can't understand the logic at all, but I guess you get what you pay for with RTP. oh well, better luck next time? at least the russian mafia can handle their business in this matter, maybe justice will be served after all

33 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why do you believe it?  

Its seems quite plausible that considering it was pitch black and no lights in the area that the victim didn't get a reliable clear look at the guy and therefore wasn't able to identify him , that is why I believe it .

Why do you disbelieve it ?