Pacemaker and cremation

Speedo1968

Sorry for such a morbid subject.
As I have a Pacemaker fitted and wish to be cremated on death what happens to the Pacemaker ?
Does in melt completely or do the ashes have bits of metal ?
Can one request that on death the pacemaker is removed or does this happen anyway at the hospital ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Undertakers are aware of such things and if not already removed they will do so. If especially concerned you could leave specific instructions with your next of kin to ensure this is done.

I've been around for several deaths and cremations in the village and I've never seen an undertaker yet! The funerals are managed by the community.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

A Thai friend recently died in hospital after the family agreed to 'pull the plug' following a stroke. We visited the family home same day in the afternoon. Our friend's casket was on the floor wrapped in polythene. Shortly after, the refrigeration unit arrived on the back of a pick-up. We gave the guys a hand loading the casket. The polythene wrapper came off as did the lid. The guys checked that he was presentable before loading the casket into the unit. Not exactly undertakers as we know them!  

I think we'd call them delivery boys!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I think we'd call them delivery boys!

Not an experience I'd wish to repeat. Our friend was only in his 40's. Both parent's and at least one brother and sister were present. Out of respect I pretended not to notice the smell but they held their noses. 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Postmortem will not necessarily be done, indeed should not be unless there is reason to suspect unnatural death, or requested by the family.

It is possible you'd be cremated with it, and there would indeed be some metal with the ashes. Same goes for people with titanium implants from ortho surgery, etc. How much melting would occur with the metal, I can't say.

OP - Thanks Sheryl for your comments

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I've been around for several deaths and cremations in the village and I've never seen an undertaker yet! The funerals are managed by the community.

OP - Thanks for your comments, likewise with me and going to friends funerals in my local village

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Not an experience I'd wish to repeat. Our friend was only in his 40's. Both parent's and at least one brother and sister were present. Out of respect I pretended not to notice the smell but they held their noses. 

At one funeral I attended I noticed that they were pouring bottles of Lao Khao into the coffin. I thought this was a 'seeing off ritual', but no. I was told that it was to disguise the smell. I'm not sure which is worse!

Apparently the Scots used to do the same with whisky!

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 7:42 PM, Moonlover said:

At one funeral I attended I noticed that they were pouring bottles of Lao Khao into the coffin. I thought this was a 'seeing off ritual', but no. I was told that it was to disguise the smell. I'm not sure which is worse!

Apparently the Scots used to do the same with whisky!

That's very interesting thank you very much. You would have thought the Scots would have found much better uses for their whisky! Incidentally, only the other day I saw a pick-up with a metal casket sized/shaped container on the flat bed. Makes you think!  

16 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

That's very interesting thank you very much. You would have thought the Scots would have found much better uses for their whisky! Incidentally, only the other day I saw a pick-up with a metal casket sized/shaped container on the flat bed. Makes you think!  

The stuff that the Scots used was the local made stuff out of the barrel. Pre tax and duty of course.????

Everyone's last journey from our village is on the back of an old pick up and they all travel in the same casket! At the crematorium they remove the casket and the remains are left with a basic box coffin which goes into the Furness. Waste not, want not!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

On that list, I highly recommend

https://www.amarinternational.com/index.html

They specialize in arrangements for expats dying in Thailand and in addition to any assist needed for funeral or cremation they will handle all the paperwork with the  Embassy concerned (very important if the deceased had any assets in their home country). Contrary to what one might assume ,they do not focus only on (or try to promote) expensive funerals or repatriation of remains - they will assist with whatever is desired, including no frills cremations.

And one can pre-purchase.

I have dealt with them regarding death of an expat whose only family was abrdad and unable to come to Thailand (they arranged a simple cheap cremation and return of the ashes, along with the paperwork) and I know foreigners who use them for death of a spouse in Thailand.   Highly recommended. Efficient, compassionate.

• Thanks 1

I am not sure why the OP is concerned about what happens to him after he dies.

I would like my ashes scattered on a golf course, given Thai fear of ghosts they may have to be posted back to Australia.

• Haha 1