French Tourist Killed While Crossing Road

webfact

Wow - just watched the dash-cam footage from the Thai Rath TV channel posted above (it stops just before the moment of impact).

Even with the relatively grainy reproduced footage, the woman and her bike are clearly visible when the car is still (I would estimate) about 150-200 metres from the intersection.

The guy either has serious vision problems or just wasn't paying attention/looking where he was going.

Also (and again based on the footage) he doesn't appear to have braked until the very last second before he hit her, reinforcing the idea that he was totally unaware of her presence until he was virtually on top of her - which is difficult to comprehend.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

On 5/27/2022 at 6:10 AM, vandeventer said:

You know that's not going to happen but he may have to pay a fine. Sometimes I wonder why I am the only one stopping for people at the crosswalk. What good are they if nobody stops, just another death trap.

She wasn't using a pedestrian crossing.

• Thanks 2

On 5/27/2022 at 7:45 AM, DUNROAMIN said:
On 5/27/2022 at 6:08 AM, Geoffggi said:

There you have it, since when has it been allowed to speed at a junction? in any civilised country he would have been arrested on the spot, why is there no mention of the type of car other than a white sedan maybe he is also a Hi-So

Expand  

Mercedes Benz comes to mind travelling at 120kph.

Just guessing.

Is there any car that cannot reach 120kph, just 74mph, why does it have to be a Merc?  The Toyota Corolla in the photos that was involved doesn't look much like a Merc.

My Thai missus forever wanders around smaller sois and carparks way out in the road with her back to traffic, and this after a good mate of hers was carved up badly by a passing truck when getting into her car, we saw the CCTV of it, she had tons of parking room yet parked virtually on the highway edge, then she leaves the bar,  approaches her car without looking, and the truck driver seemed to veer off into her in an apparent microsleep.

There you have it; a national mentality of "Mai bpen rai" = too many die.

The mate survived, but her leg was slashed wide open, and she's disfigured and limps now...

Edited by chalawaan

On 5/27/2022 at 8:08 AM, Henryford said:

Driving at high speed across a zebra crossing, amazing Thailand.

He wasn't "driving at high speed across a zebra crossing" when he hit her, she wasn't using a pedestrian crossing.   She was crossing against a green traffic light. Amazing Thaivisa posters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They don't do that in your country, then?  Is it illegal there?

Yes, I'm not familiar with Gaffer ("gawking) laws but it is absolutely not tolerated. 

• Haha 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:54 AM, Road Warrior said:

road deaths by SPEEDING +++== manslaughter charge . a apology  to her family --- pathetic  

It's pathetic (to use your choice of word) that you ignore what is actually happening, he's been charged with causing her death.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:11 AM, Denim said:

If you watch the video ( if you can find it ) it is clear he was going too fast, especially as it was night time. She flew through the air like a rag doll , high and far.

how to find the video? I was unable to find it.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, smew said:

SIMPLE: Thailand should remove all the zebra crossings as they give false sense of security to those of us who lived where trafic rules are obeyed and followed.

So sad ,36yrs life just beginning.

I am sure bike rental shop owner is upset : who will pay for the damage, normal Thai reaction... 

From the video, it looks like she was not on a zebra/pedestrian crossing.

Edited by KannikaP

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Even with the relatively grainy reproduced footage, the woman and her bike are clearly visible when the car is still (I would estimate) about 150-200 metres from the intersection.

Look at the video again. The two girls come out of a dark area, no lights, directly across the main road, which had a green light showing. The friend admitted that they were 'confused'.

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Wow - just watched the dash-cam footage from the Thai Rath TV channel posted above (it stops just before the moment of impact).

The guy either has serious vision problems or just wasn't paying attention/looking where he was going.

Also (and again based on the footage) he doesn't appear to have braked until the very last second before he hit her, reinforcing the idea that he was totally unaware of her presence until he was virtually on top of her - which is difficult to comprehend.

From the video, it took the girls a few seconds to be from the dark roadside and into the main carriageway. no lights on, and the car had a green light going for him.

23 minutes ago, Denim said:

Already posted in this thread. Go back to page 2 to see it

thank you, somehow the video didn't show the first time I viewed page 2.

sad accident.

there are multiple causes for the accident.

the bicycle rider was reckless:

- riding a bicycle in road traffic in Thailand is reckless to begin with

- didn't obey or understand the traffic lights

- no light on the bicycle

- did a manoeuver that other drivers would not expect

but ultimate responsibility lies with the car driver who was apparently driving recklessly at excessive speed which made it impossible to avoid the impact.

RIP Camille

Edited by tgw

On 5/28/2022 at 3:59 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

He wasn't "driving at high speed across a zebra crossing" when he hit her, she wasn't using a pedestrian crossing.   She was crossing against a green traffic light. Amazing Thaivisa posters!

Yes she was crossing against a green light but the video clip shows that she and her bike could be easily seen when the car was still about 200 metres away from the intersection. 

As the driver admits, he was travelling at high speed and what I don't understand is that he continued to do so, despite the clear presence of a pedestrian pushing a bicycle slowly across the road in front of him and (again based on the video) didn't even try to brake until the very last second before he hit her.

• Sad 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:40 AM, blazes said:

Yet another falang who believed, tragically, that marked pedestrian crossings were there for their protection, like back home.

RIP

Look right then left then right again

Only cross when it is safe to do  so!!!!!

REPEAT Only cross when it is safe.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, Old Croc said:

Very tragic.

The driver certainly was speeding, but had a green. The girl on the unlit push bike was crossing against the lights at a busy intersection without looking for oncoming traffic.  From the video there were many dazzling lights making it very difficult to see her until too late.

When in a country like Thailand you need to take extra care and certainly not trust anyone to drive sensibly within the rules. You're responsible for your own life and cant always expect others to respond like a European driver. Read the travel advisory your Embassy publishes about personal safety.

Those same dazzling lights didn't deter him from seeing the green light and focussing his attention on speeding to beat it changing, though. 

Agree totally with your second paragraph.