French Tourist Killed While Crossing Road

webfact

To cycle at night in THailand you must be suicidal. Zebra crossing, apart from the light I bet  they looked to the left instead right while crossing. The French drive on the other side of the road. While in my home country I noticed that people would drive slowly or stopped when I was near a zebra crossing, even without the attention to cross. Zebra crossing in Thailand are still sci fiction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leatherneck said:

Like you, I also stop for people in the crosswalk but I'm cringing at the same time that the driver behind me doesn't plow into me. Being on my motorbike, I'll likely be the dead one at the scene.

Braver than I am gunga din, Im sorry but its more dangerous for the person crossing as well as someone behind you will scoot either outside or inside you and hit the person who is crossing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Leatherneck said:

Like you, I also stop for people in the crosswalk but I'm cringing at the same time that the driver behind me doesn't plow into me. Being on my motorbike, I'll likely be the dead one at the scene.

I have the same problem as well as I ride big bikes , but I always stop. Somebody must show them how it's done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Mercedes Benz comes to mind travelling at 120kph.

Just guessing.

Don't stop there, let's jump to conclusions all the way, he was probably texting, he was probably drunk, he probably didn't have a license, he probably didn't maintain his car, he probably was asleep.

Guess away.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Crusader said:

As a young motorcyclist in the UK, after buying my first big bike, I was told by a friend..."To drive safely you have to imagine everyone else on the road is out toget YOU".

This was great advice which has also worked well here for many years. Gave up the bikes 15 years ago for an SUV...it's safer.

Like many,it’s a silly cliché which doesn’t stand scrutiny otherwise you’d never go onto the roads. The key is 'anticipation' - predicting what might happen ahead of you,being prepared  and taking mitigating action.

Here's another example "what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger ". Tell that to my uncle Albert who’s had 2 strokes… ???? 

Many videos now on Youtube. Dash cam clearly shows driver was speeding through a green light.

Commentary confirms tourists were confused by red filter light.

Edited by Denim

I notice when I am driving in my home country that people don’t even look up from their telephones or around them when crossing at a cross walk or intersection.  I am not saying that is what has happened here but it seems to me that people in certain kinds of countries have become so accustomed to drivers behaving in a responsible and predictable way that they have completely let down their guard.  I still have the habits drilled into me as a youngster “Look both ways before crossing” …. maybe add to that in Thailand “… and run like hell”.  Such a sad way to go, way too young RIP.

• Like 2

Immeasurably sad and tragic. No chance to have one last conversation with family back home. Dreams, career, relationships, professional and academic achievements shattered and ended within a matter of seconds.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I have the same problem as well as I ride big bikes , but I always stop. Somebody must show them how it's done.

Tried applying that philosophy at a roundabout once.......................................!????

• Sad 1

One has to exercise extreme care as a pedestrian here. Always stop, and look both ways, and keep your eyes peeled the entire time you are exposed while crossing. It is about survival. Some are better at it, than others. Pure Darwinism. 

The authorities here do not care one iota. 

13 hours ago, Inala said:

He states he had a green light for going straight ahead and he proceeded to do so. Does that mean the lady cyclists rode out into the road when they should not have?

But he admitted he was travelling at a high speed, so he must share in the culpability. I wonder what a high speed is in his mind?

I feel very sorry for the deceased, what a disaster for a holiday. 

"Does that mean the lady cyclists rode out into the road when they should not have?"

Possibly, but there is also a"zebra crossing" in the background, and the fact that she was "pushing the bicycle across the road" implies that she was using it?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Inala said:

He states he had a green light for going straight ahead and he proceeded to do so. Does that mean the lady cyclists rode out into the road when they should not have?

But he admitted he was travelling at a high speed, so he must share in the culpability. I wonder what a high speed is in his mind?

I feel very sorry for the deceased, what a disaster for a holiday. 

He was only drunk a little bit … RIP The pedestrian doing the legal thing

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I went back to the US a few years back and while riding my bicycle to the local store one night, a cop stopped me saying I need a light on my bike if I want to ride at night.  I thanked him and bought one a few days later.  

I wonder if this lady had a light on her bike would she still be alive?  For those saying the driver of the car was speeding, is there proof or is this just a guess?

5 hours ago, Leatherneck said:

I also stop for folks I see standing on the side of the road waiting to cross, especially at zebra crossings and in front of stores such as Big C & Makro.

Odd thing is I tend to only get bewildered looks like 'why in the he77 are you stopping' or folks not paying attention as they have never experienced anyone stopping for them.

SIMPLE: Thailand should remove all the zebra crossings as they give false sense of security to those of us who lived where trafic rules are obeyed and followed.

So sad ,36yrs life just beginning.

I am sure bike rental shop owner is upset : who will pay for the damage, normal Thai reaction... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bbko said:

I wonder if this lady had a light on her bike would she still be alive?  For those saying the driver of the car was speeding, is there proof or is this just a guess?

Even if she had lights on her bike, they would be directed to the front and the rear. Since she was hit side-on they probably wouldn't have helped.

As for proof the car was speeding, perhaps we should just take the driver's word for that. He said he was driving "at a high speed [and] couldn’t brake in time."

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One has to exercise extreme care as a pedestrian here. Always stop, and look both ways, and keep your eyes peeled the entire time you are exposed while crossing. It is about survival. Some are better at it, than others. Pure Darwinism. 

The authorities here do not care one iota. 

Extreme care. This a daily requirement living in Thailand.

• Like 2

Sadly, because European visitors sometimes look the “wrong way” when crossing roads in Thailand, these accidents happen frequently and sometimes with devastating effect. Maybe one of the few benefits of being a Brit in Thailand is that we both drive on the left side of the road.

Her female frend must be in chock to see her friend get hit by a speeding car..

Iff you see the cam from his car,, HOW BLIND you must be NOT to see the bikes!!!

How fast he drove..

But,, the bicycles are careless to, not look good..

Tragic..

So sorry for the young girls and there family..

R.I.P girly..

Edited by gerritkaew
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 5:40 AM, blazes said:

Yet another falang who believed, tragically, that marked pedestrian crossings were there for their protection, like back home.

RIP

Exactly...............................however they are not always so safe back home so foreigners should no better...................you need a red light to even begin to trust them.

On 5/27/2022 at 9:30 AM, mancub said:

Never assume anything when on Thailand's roads.

Traffic signals, one way signs. use (or not) of indicators, pedestrian crossings etc can so often lend to a false sense of security given the appalling driving standards prevalent.

Good point...................."false sense of security"

On 5/27/2022 at 6:10 AM, vandeventer said:

You know that's not going to happen but he may have to pay a fine. Sometimes I wonder why I am the only one stopping for people at the crosswalk. What good are they if nobody stops, just another death trap.

I used to stop for people crossing the road ........ only to see them being nearly killed by others passing my car at high speed.

• Confused 1