Indians ranked as number one in terms of arriving Pattaya international tourists, says Chonburi Tourism and Sports Authority

webfact

On 5/27/2022 at 1:27 AM, jcmj said:

And they are also bringing in the most insurance scams of all tourists.  Just sitting outside a 7-11 store sharing a beer between 4 or 5 people coming up with genius plans. 

That's off the limit, they should at least have one bottle each as decent westerns do. Shame Shame shame

In April, the top five tourists were from India (4,216), the United Kingdom (1,627), Japan (1,007), Korea (946), and Germany (940). 

Wow. Those are some tiny numbers. Pump 1,400 rounds of lead into the Golden Goose of tourism, and there is a price to be paid, huh? 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

In April, the top five tourists were from India (4,216), the United Kingdom (1,627), Japan (1,007), Korea (946), and Germany (940). 

Wow. Those are some tiny numbers. Pump 1,400 rounds of lead into the Golden Goose of tourism, and there is a price to be paid, huh? 

It appears the big wave on mongers that were predicted to flock back to Pattaya after covid hasn't materialized. 

Initially, and until the present, blame was on border closures, quarantine, lock down, bar closure times, Test & Go, Thailand Pass, low season etc, but with these nearly all but finished, what is there left to blame for not seeing the big rush back in?  

Edited by Leaver

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

It appears the big wave on mongers that were predicted to flock back to Pattaya after covid hasn't materialized. 

Initially, and until the present, blame was on border closures, quarantine, lock down, bar closure times, Test & Go, Thailand Pass, low season etc, but with these nearly all but finished, what is there left to blame for not seeing the big rush back in?  

Yep, all of the above contributed to the slow and gradual recovery we are seeing but of course you know that so I'm not sure what your point is apart from your normal weekend jaded boring repetitive predictable trolling negativity.

Thailand was always a couple of months too late timing wise to benefit to a greater degree from the traditional high season just passed, from the start of their vaccination program through to the lifting of social restrictions,  re-opening of its borders, and allowing any form of adult entertainment. It was pretty clear back in October they were going to lose the high season as people weren't prepared to commit to booking with the conditions in place and the entertainment restrictions.

I don't think anyone expected a big rush back in, mongers or otherwise, the common theme I saw was guys deciding to delay until this coming high season when all restrictions are lifted and everything is 100% open. We are now in low season so predictably the traditional demographic is in play, the Indians are returning as before, while the snowbirds and Western markets such as they were have largely returned home.

Clearly the government have realised the next few months will be slow, due to a large extent to their own previous draconian approach,  which is why this last week they hurriedly passed stage 4 of their domestic tourism support package to the tune of 4 billion baht. 

One thing I can accurately predict is as tourist numbers rise and Pattaya recovers, rather than seeing this as positive your narrative will inevitably change to implying that somehow those returning are low spending and therefore don't count, watch this space.  Of course you won't actually have any factual figures to substantiate your opinions as per usual, much the same as your rather hilarious " digital disruption " waffle and hot air.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

As far as I can see nothing has really changed.

Thailand pass and worthless COVID insurance still required.

Until they're both gone, there will be few tourists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

And your point is?

Some countries and their nationals simply do not tip, nor expect tips. Japan for example....

Then there are those from Yorkshire....

Takes all types to make a world... I always found the over-tipping scroungy culture in the USA a bit confusing and irritating.. people should be paid a proper salary. 

Of course you will not getting the tipping culture because you do not live in it.

I am aware of Japan and some others that consider tipping rude.

However, do you realize Thai people even tip other Thai after a massage?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Of course you will not getting the tipping culture because you do not live in it.

Well I have not been present very often when a Thai pays for his/her massage but I am aware and suspect they do tip. So do I.

Is it possible the 4 customers were from a non-tipping culture, or perhaps they thought the service was below par. Too many masseuses stop to play on their phones these days! That action alone deserves a tip reduction.

Expecting or even demanding tips I find all too often in Thailand, the palms together 'wai', often replaced with the outstretched palm!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well I have not been present very often when a Thai pays for his/her massage but I am aware and suspect they do tip. So do I.

Is it possible the 4 customers were from a non-tipping culture, or perhaps they thought the service was below par. Too many masseuses stop to play on their phones these days! That action alone deserves a tip reduction.

Expecting or even demanding tips I find all too often in Thailand, the palms together 'wai', often replaced with the outstretched palm!

This place does not let the girls on the phones.

I have been going there 10 years, no phones.

If you re-read the post they enjoyed the massage and they even asked for their names for a repeat visit.

In Thailand, tipping is for good service.  I've had horrible, horrible massages and didn't tip.  I've had bad massages and tipped 100 and never went back.  I've had great massages and tipped 100 baht because it was only 200.    

Nobody in Thailand (nobody meaning most) makes a lot of money, so tip them at 7-11?  Tip the food sellers?  Tip the market sellers?  Tip everyone?   9000 baht a month as a salary won't help them in their life, but falang rich and can help.....so tip!!!!

It really comes down to Karma.   If you get a good massage, can tip, you tip.  If you don't tip to be cheap, you will have problems that will cost you 100 million baht down the road.  

The massage places have very little traffic, a customer is a customer.

When there are 40 million massage customers like before, then you really should tip as their time is valuable.    Once I was Number 893 in the queue for a soapy massage.......time is money!!!  not now.   

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

How about fake puritanism? How about a holier than thou attitude? How about a brain dead homogenization, and pasteurization of the nation and an all out war on it's nightlife? 

35 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

In Thailand, tipping is for good service.  I've had horrible, horrible massages and didn't tip.  I've had bad massages and tipped 100 and never went back.  I've had great massages and tipped 100 baht because it was only 200.    

Nobody in Thailand (nobody meaning most) makes a lot of money, so tip them at 7-11?  Tip the food sellers?  Tip the market sellers?  Tip everyone?   9000 baht a month as a salary won't help them in their life, but falang rich and can help.....so tip!!!!

It really comes down to Karma.   If you get a good massage, can tip, you tip.  If you don't tip to be cheap, you will have problems that will cost you 100 million baht down the road.  

When there are 40 million massage customers like before, then you really should tip as their time is valuable.    Once I was Number 893 in the queue for a soapy massage.......time is money!!!  not now.   

That must have been a long day.
24 hours day and you were nr 893

They must have had 40 staff, working round the clock.

I spoke yesterday with a friend. He is half Thai/American.
He owns a hotel in Khao Lak and one in CM.

He spent the last 12 months in the US for business.

He told me: What's going on in Thailand. He has never been together with so many weirdos in his life, when travelling back from the US.

Must have been zombies, deprived from their needs for 2 years????

36 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

This is a bit of a weird post. The norm in Thailand was to leave the loose change. Only Americans would think about tipping/bribing.

Normal tourists would leave ten or twenty baht after their meal.

Now of course we have those who pontificate that 100 baht should be a normal tip. Of course it is total nonsense; looking at life through their foreign lens.

You won't see a Thai giving 100 baht (unless they are showing off) or most any other tourist. Most tourists might give perhaps 20 or 40 baht.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know why so many posters seem to dislike Indians.

I've never been to India but have met many out and about around the world, always polite, never looking for trouble. I like Indian food and often visit Indian restaurants when on holiday, always enjoy their cooking.

Sure they come from a poor country, but that's not really a reason not to like them.

There is a lot of Indian money in Pattaya, quite a few clubs at the bottom end of walking street. There is no way Indians would be putting money in if their compatriots didn't spend anything, some of them are good spenders. There are cheap charlies in all cultures, just look at the farang losers hanging around Soi Boukhao, but armchair experts mostly outside of Pattaya tend to generalise and look down their nose at them.

3 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Yes, Thais will tip 20 baht or nothing at all. How much do you claim that they tip? 

There was no tipping culture in Thailand. It was introduced by tourists.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Didn't they all catch fire?

I dont know about all of them, but there is more Indian money coming in. Have a friend in the restaurant trade who's place on walking street was booming pre covid, he says the Indians are coming back and the ones who spend money are only interested in girls/ walking street.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Did they say how much they get from the 500 baht or is that info not so good for your story?

Today I did some follow up and she told me she gets 240 of the 500 baht (48%).

But she said other services are much less as the 500 baht is a promotional rate and they are trying to get business back so it gives the girls incentive to sale this over the others.

10 hours ago, kinyara said:

Yep, all of the above contributed to the slow and gradual recovery we are seeing but of course you know that so I'm not sure what your point is apart from your normal weekend jaded boring repetitive predictable trolling negativity.

Funny how you call me a troll, then set about trolling me.  ???? 

My point is, the was no big bounce back, as many predicted. 

The term "pent up demand" was thrown about a lot, but the demand may not be as great as many had thought.

Thailand was always a couple of months too late timing wise to benefit to a greater degree from the traditional high season just passed, from the start of their vaccination program through to the lifting of social restrictions,  re-opening of its borders, and allowing any form of adult entertainment. It was pretty clear back in October they were going to lose the high season as people weren't prepared to commit to booking with the conditions in place and the entertainment restrictions.

I agree, but there really is no excuse for their rulings in the past recent months, which has hurt a lot of businesses.

I don't think anyone expected a big rush back in, mongers or otherwise,

Wrong.  Many did. A lot of renovations took place in readiness. 

One thing I can accurately predict is as tourist numbers rise and Pattaya recovers, rather than seeing this as positive your narrative will inevitably change to implying that somehow those returning are low spending and therefore don't count, watch this space. 

Isn't this what TAT was doing, pre covid?  Example:  1 million Chinese fly in next week, how many of them do you see in bars in Central Pattaya?  

Indians are returning, great for the girls on Beach Road, but how many of them do you see in bars in Central Pattaya?  

You can talk up the numbers all you like, but it's the traditional market that keeps many hospitality businesses afloat, and that market has rushed back to Pattaya in big numbers. 

Of course you won't actually have any factual figures to substantiate your opinions as per usual,

Figures were published. 

Here they are:

"In April, the top five tourists were from India (4,216), the United Kingdom (1,627), Japan (1,007), Korea (946), and Germany (940)."

Not great, are they? 

I have no doubt numbers will rise, heading into high season, but it must be remembered that many tourists also suffered financially because of covid.  It may take a few years to get back to pre covid numbers.

11 hours ago, kinyara said:

the same as your rather hilarious " digital disruption " waffle

You've obviously never even looked at the apps, and seen all the girls working off them, yet here you are proclaiming it will have absolutely no effect on the bottom line for bars, and totally disregard them as competition to the traditional bar business model.  Now that's hilarious.  ????   

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As far as I can see nothing has really changed.

Thailand pass and worthless COVID insurance still required.

Until they're both gone, there will be few tourists.

Is the Thailand Pass and the insurance really the sole reason keeping that many away though? 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

How about fake puritanism? How about a holier than thou attitude? How about a brain dead homogenization, and pasteurization of the nation and an all out war on it's nightlife? 

The protests can't be far away from starting up again. 

• Like 1