"ATM scam" - myth or reality ?

3 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

I think that, if we follow your line of reasoning, the ATM fee should be aligned with the cost of buying and running the ATM. Something like 35-40THB per withdrawal seems fair and wouldn't force people to withdraw large amounts.

People are not forced with draw large amounts though  , they can make free withdrawals inside the bank and no one has to use an ATM .

No one has to pay to use an ATN , 

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

People are not forced with draw large amounts though  , they can make free withdrawals inside the bank and no one has to use an ATM .

Your assertion is true only in cases where a specific combination of card issuers and Thai banks are the participants in the transaction in question.  Other combinations of issuers and Thai banks either don't work or are not "free".

Firstly only a few Thai banks offer cash advances from their tellers on debit/credit cards.  I think only Krungsri and Bangkok bank offer free cash advance services.

Secondly, for those using US based financial institutions, there is a short list of those that don't add foreign transaction fees for ATM withdrawals, purchases and cash advances from the teller.  I believe that for other nationalities, the list of fee free foreign transaction card issuers is also quite short.

Those two constraints mean that the vast majority of foreigners cannot obtain free withdrawals inside the bank.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sure. But it only makes things more complicated for people.

I think it would be better for business to enable value and choice in payment options for visitors. In the end, I believe they'd be willing to spend more.

Edited by Baron Samedi

4 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Your assertion is true only in cases where a specific combination of card issuers and Thai banks are the participants in the transaction in question.  Other combinations of issuers and Thai banks either don't work or are not "free".

Firstly only a few Thai banks offer cash advances from their tellers on debit/credit cards.  I think only Krungsri and Bangkok bank offer free cash advance services.

Secondly, for those using US based financial institutions, there is a short list of those that don't add foreign transaction fees for ATM withdrawals, purchases and cash advances from the teller.  I believe that for other nationalities, the list of fee free foreign transaction card issuers is also quite short.

Those two constraints mean that the vast majority of foreigners cannot obtain free withdrawals inside the bank.

We are talking about ATM fees .

Using the over the counter method would mean you wouldn't have to pay an ATM fee .

There may be other fees you would have to pay , but we are specifically talking about ATM fees .

From my experience , all banks that offer a currency exchange service can give cash on foreign debit cards , the bank just need to have a hand held card reader to process the transaction 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Baron Samedi said:

Sure. But it only makes things more complicated for people.

I think it would be better for business to enable value and choice in payment options for visitors. In the end, I believe they'd be willing to spend more.

They could also give people free flights to Thailand ?

Free Visas as well 

11 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Just go inside.
Talk to manager and start crying.
Girlfriend's buffalo needs urgent facelift.
Wife's brother needs a new suit for his work interview.

Wife has a new business idea. Guaranteed return of 175% on return.

You will see how quick branch manager swipes your card.

my original plan works so why fix it....and i think some of the posters need the tissues for tears

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, you are so right! Just add that if that fool is in Thailand and can´t afford 220 baht with every 20-30k withdrawal, then it´s the pure essence of a fool. It´s not the money that has departed as that person obviously don´t have enough. It´s the brain, and that is what at the end makes the fool. 

thanks for sharing--there is a bargirl waiting to lub u long time teerak...cash only!

• Haha 2

4 pages deep and all i did was offer a solution to the OP who asked about avoiding atm fees--which i did--legally and simply....and ohhh the backlash from the HISO sugar daddies--- $$$$

says alot....keep em coming gents i can take it.....the relentless white male grievances....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

4 pages deep and all i did was offer a solution to the OP who asked about avoiding atm fees--which i did--legally and simply....and ohhh the backlash from the HISO sugar daddies--- $$$$

says alot....keep em coming gents i can take it.....the relentless white male grievances....lol

You got thanked for you input , no need for sexist and racist abuse from you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

Utter scam ! Period.

You have been given numerous solutions but you choose to ignore them. Instead you continue to talk about ATM fees in a country where you are not present.

Have you seen the prices of food in places like Villa Market?

38 minutes ago, redsongthaew said:

You have been given numerous solutions but you choose to ignore them. Instead you continue to talk about ATM fees in a country where you are not present.

Have you seen the prices of food in places like Villa Market?

I don't ignore the solutions given by the community.

I'm grateful for them.

But it doesn't change the fact that ATM fees are a rip-off in Thailand.

If you want those kind of things to change you gotta speak up.

As for me being in Thailand or on Mars, I don't really see why it should matter?

I lived 3+ years in Thailand. Btw at the time I don't think that 200THB racket was in place yet. Maybe I'm wrong though...

Edited by Baron Samedi

23 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There are alternatives such as cash, or travellers cheques or going into a bank to do an over the  counter transaction

How does that work exactly, if you don't have  a Thai bank account?

7 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

It shows that Thailand is more expensive than the most expensive developed nation on earth when it comes to ATMs ????

Utter scam ! Period.

One of the ways people justify a rip off in Thailand is they say "it's the same in every country!" but it never is.

I don't know why they bother defending the rip offs. You can be generally happy, respect Thai people and enjoy your life but that doesn't mean you have to be willfully oblivious when you are taken advantage of. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BudRight said:

One of the ways people justify a rip off in Thailand is they say "it's the same in every country!" but it never is.

I don't know why they bother defending the rip offs. You can be generally happy, respect Thai people and enjoy your life but that doesn't mean you have to be willfully oblivious when you are taken advantage of. 

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself ????

10 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

That being said, it might be about time for Thailand to enter the 21th century and offer decent digital payment options. I should be able to pay street food vendors with my phone in 2022.

The root cause of this nonsense is laziness.

Legacy businesses not willing to embrace technology because... well... let's keep fxxxxxx people up the xxx, it's so much easier.

Cannot see street food vendors willingly sign up to digital payments as that will expose them to the tax man.... Cash on the other hand.

I don't think it is laziness at all.

11 hours ago, Baron Samedi said:

That being said, it might be about time for Thailand to enter the 21th century and offer decent digital payment options. I should be able to pay street food vendors with my phone in 2022.

The root cause of this nonsense is laziness.

Legacy businesses not willing to embrace technology because... well... let's keep fxxxxxx people up the xxx, it's so much easier.

Some street food places do offer digital payment options, the 2 places I go to do, remember there was a 50\50 scheme during covid where the govt paid half, they seemed to start doing it around then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Cannot see street food vendors willingly sign up to digital payments as that will expose them to the tax man.... Cash on the other hand.

I don't think it is laziness at all.

A lot (most?) vendors I see accept "transfer" or have a QR code to scan for payment. I was down South for most of last year without my ATM card (having lost it) and got along fine using only the banking app to pay for things or sometimes getting cash when I could do cardless withdrawal from my bank's ATM.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The idea is that you have a foreign bank account /ATM card

Yes obviously.  You just show up to any Thai bank, hand them your foreign ATM card and they happily give you cash?  More details would be appreciated, like what are the fees for that service compared to ATMs.

56 minutes ago, BudRight said:

A lot (most?) vendors I see accept "transfer" or have a QR code to scan for payment. I was down South for most of last year without my ATM card (having lost it) and got along fine using only the banking app to pay for things or sometimes getting cash when I could do cardless withdrawal from my bank's ATM.

A lot (most?) street food vendors I see do not accept "transfer" or have a QR code to scan for payment.

Bricks and motor shop's on the other hand.

I get really infuratiated when some <deleted> whips out his phone to make payment because it takes them for ever to unlock the phone.... then scroll through the menu a few times to find woaht ever app they use..... then wave the phone around over a printed QR code... finally it works.

Really if one is goIng to use thIs payment method HAVE YA <deleted> PHONE UNLOCKED AND THE APP OPEN READY TO USE................YOU STUPID <deleted>.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 2

For those crying scam, it's time for you to get a better bank in your home country.  My bank in the US only allows the Thai banks to charge me 30 baht not the 220b.  Some foreign banks have free international withdraws.  If the 220 is too much, make the maximum withdraw you can (30,000) or brings a large chunk of cash when you decide to come here.