Thousands of people are leaving Hong Kong — and now it’s clear where they’re going

onthedarkside

Screenshot_2.jpg.484712ffc83baf77bda91513f384402d.jpg

They stuck it out during the political protests of 2019.

Then they lasted through nearly two years of pandemic.

But this year, they say they’ve had enough.

Residents of Hong Kong are leaving the city in droves in 2022 — not because they want to, several told CNBC, but because Covid restrictions and what they see as an erosion of democratic norms are pushing them to leave.

A surge in departures is accelerating a “brain drain” of professional talent — a situation which hit fever pitch around March, as omicron-driven Covid cases skyrocketed across the city.

(more)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/27/people-are-leaving-hong-kong-and-here-is-where-they-are-going.html

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Kind of a misleading article in regards to Thailand.  They mention a number of countries but barely mention Thailand other than taking extended stays in Phuket and Koh Samui.  

Does not have to be about Thailand the article is in World News.

But certainly true, an exodus of thousands that will benefit countries other than China.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

Does not have to be about Thailand the article is in World News.

Yes indeed and from the link to CNBC:

• Many people and companies are moving to Singapore, though some expatriates are returning home and Hong Kongers are applying for residency under new visa programs launched in Canada and the United Kingdom.
  • There’s also an increase in moves from Hong Kong to Dubai, Japan, South Korea and Thailand, according to insiders.

5 hours ago, Purdey said:

You can't blame them. Being a colony that the British promised to protect to a Chinese outlier that the Chinese promised to protect, promises were broken. A pity they aren't flooding the UK as these are the best brains, but Singapore makes sense for regional headquarter. Thailand wouldn't know a regional headquarters if it hit them on the head. The complicated rules and regulations for setting up here makes my head spin.

As an anecdote, someone from the BOI asked me if I knew any foreign businessmen and could I ask why they didn't set up their business in Thailand. The reply shocked the poor woman. "After 3 months there was no progress on my application in Thailand. I got a response within 3 days of applying in Singapore."

There are thousands moving to the UK and visas for them are being made easy to obtain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Purdey said:

You can't blame them. Being a colony that the British promised to protect to a Chinese outlier that the Chinese promised to protect, promises were broken. A pity they aren't flooding the UK as these are the best brains, but Singapore makes sense for regional headquarter. Thailand wouldn't know a regional headquarters if it hit them on the head. The complicated rules and regulations for setting up here makes my head spin.

As an anecdote, someone from the BOI asked me if I knew any foreign businessmen and could I ask why they didn't set up their business in Thailand. The reply shocked the poor woman. "After 3 months there was no progress on my application in Thailand. I got a response within 3 days of applying in Singapore."

I believe there are 2 things that prevent big multi-national corporations setting up shop in Thailand. One is corruption, and the other is a weak 'rule of law'.

• Like 1

The CCP are poison and ruin everything that they touch.

You've only got to look at what's now happening in the South Pacific Islands.

Chinese security people threatening journalists over asking questions. Wang hasn't answered a single one on his current tour.

That's what you get with the fat Poo bear in charge.