Bangkok’s governor-elect says corruption is a hard nut to crack

webfact

image.jpeg

Bangkok Governor-elect Chadchart Sittipunt has admitted that the most difficult problem to address in Bangkok is corruption, but claimed that he is more confident that he is on the right track to solve the city’s myriad problems with his 200 plus policies.

After five consecutive days of on-site visits, to meet various people and city officials after the May 22nd election, he told Thai PBS, in an exclusive interview, that he feels that more people have read his policies and have started talking about them.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He said that, if they have read his policies carefully, they will understand that they are not fantasies, but policies which can actually be implemented, with some of them being quite down to earth, such as the lunch program for students, free education or opening schools during weekends, for students to do extra-curricula activities.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkoks-governor-elect-says-corruption-is-a-hard-nut-to-crack/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

Well they all say that don't they as no doubt every single one of them are involved or have benefitted from it in some way. Perhaps if he wants to move in the right direction I'm sure he has gained over the years some inside knowledge of how it works  from his extremely wealthy father, Police General Sa-Nae Sitthipan. Certainly the latter had no interested in democracy given his involvement in the 1972 student massacre but let's hope his son is not a chip of the old block and would rather work towards putting right what is wrong with Bangkok with his first priority being the RTP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok Governor-elect Chadchart Sittipunt has admitted that the most difficult problem to address in Bangkok is corruption, but claimed that he is more confident that he is on the right track to solve the city’s myriad problems with his 200 plus policies.

Best of luck with that, Prayut promised do it and failed over the last several years, but I guess that's because it wasn't in his best interests to cut off the food chain.

• Like 2

A cynic would say, "Please Buddha, I know corruption is wrong, but I campaigned so hard, let me drink at the trough a while before cleaning it up"

Speaking with young people in Bangkok on my staff, not a single one knows who this guy is nor thinks he will be any different than anyone coming before him.

That degree of cynicism is as tough of a nut to crack as corruption itself. Perhaps this fellow is up to the task.

Bangkok is both large and visible. If corruption can be tamed, it could invigorate the young, get them truly involved in politics, and begin to tackle corruption at the Federal level. It's time for change.

To be fair he is correct........corruption is a hard nut to crack.......but the benefits to ordinary Thais of tackling corruption are immeasurable, even if they don't realise it.

Where there's a will there's a way.......let's see if this guy really has the will.

• Like 1

Many promise, bit few deliver. Remember the Cha Cha promises? If anything Thailand has gotten more corrupt under his highly toxic tutelage. 

One can only hope this guy is sincere. Any effort is better than just laying down and surrendering. 

• Like 1

Isn't part of the problem with garden variety corruption that some of the most ordinary, otherwise considerate and decent people are totally immersed in it? How do you crack down on them without almost turning their world upside down?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 10:07 AM, vandeventer said:

I agree corruption is a hard nut to crack. Why didn't somebody think about cracking it 100 years ago?

Thailand hasn't cornered the market. Corruption is rampant in every country and in every part of society.  Show me a person that would refuse to pay a few hundred baht to get out of trouble or circumvent the process (i.e. immigrations, drivers license, police stop, etc) and I will show you a lying hypocrite.