Don't smoke weed and drive - it's the same as DUI of alcohol

webfact

10 hours ago, garyk said:

For many years it has been legal to grow weed and opium for the hill tribe people. The police would have a policeman in plane clothes sitting with the drug dealers and when you bought you were arrested and fined or jailed. I would not trust a Thai cop as far as I could throw one.. Birding in the hills I have seen heroin , opium , weed openly being peddled. But if a foreigner in Thailand and you bought from a dealer. Which was put in your face , you would go to jail. The dealer would be rewarded and the cops would make bucks..

You guys better be careful.

You seem confused between enforcement and legality 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Common knowledge, depending on whether you're a daily smoker. THC stays in the system (fatty tissue) for awhile. If your job drug tests you can get away with a hit or 2 on the weekends but not much more.

again theres multiple types of testing.. You may be confusing hair sampling testing with saliva testing.

Saliva testing works for about 12 hours up to an absolute max of about 30 hours for heavy users.. Which is why they have to be followed up with blood testing to give am intoxication level in the blood as saliva testing is binary outcom. 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You seem confused between enforcement and legality 

I don't understand?  Explain!  

So you think it is ok for it to be legal and grown and processed. Then the people that grow it and process it get with the police and set up to sell the drugs!  hummm

You must be a politician or a policeman getting the kick backs from the sales and illegal distrubution.

Edited by garyk

Just now, garyk said:

I don't understand?  Explain!

Your saying its perfectly legal... It isnt legal, its merely ignored.. 

Its like saying I walked down soi six and it was full of hookers, therefore prostition is legal.. I saw someone ride past a cop without a helmet on, therefore its legal to ride without a helmet. 

Enforcement != Legality 

• Like 1

Alcohol, drugs, phones and driving a one/two ton vehicle in frequently, fast moving, heavy traffic.........what is wrong with people????

Sat in a small street bar last night watching the traffic and I would estimate 25%+ drivers (vast majority women) were scrolling through their phones as they headed towards the traffic lights.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

rules on the use of mariuana and hemp products that come into force on June 9th.

Well I noticed they left out the J :stoner: in Marijuana and there is no relaxation in the rules on that anyway only HEMP. Anutin and his merry gang still don't know the difference between these 2 completely different strains of plant.

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Your saying its perfectly legal... It isnt legal, its merely ignored.. 

Its like saying I walked down soi six and it was full of hookers, therefore prostition is legal.. I saw someone ride past a cop without a helmet on, therefore its legal to ride without a helmet. 

Enforcement != Legality 

No you do not know what you are talking about. It was legalized years ago for the hill tribes in the north.  Something to do with their religion and traditions.  They can grow it and use it for their tradition, but it turned into a cash cow for the police and them.  

Edited by garyk

9 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

I thought it was the hair sample test that lasted weeks not the saliva ??

I'm out of touch perhaps as I don't know about the saliva test but I do know the hair test can go back "years"  When a company does a hair test for employment you're better off being completely truthful.

THC also often lingers in the bloodstream for weeks in regular users and can still trigger positive test results long after the last use. Public safety officials and employers have difficulty telling whether a person who tested positive has used cannabis very recently (less than 12 hours ago) or sometime in the past few weeks.

https://www.aaas.org/news/rapid-marijuana-saliva-test-detects-immediate-use-within-minutes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lahgon29 said:

Stoned driving is worse than drunk driving. I can find my way home when drunk, but haven't a clue where I am when driving stoned.

I wouldn't try the 2 together. ????????

Alcohol promotes faster /reckless driving due to reduced inhibition while a stoned driver tends to drive much more slowly and hesitantly than normal . Both impair judgement/reaction times so both to be avoided! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

If you lined up all these morons ear to ear and looked through one ear there is no doubt you would see straight through to the other side. Complete bunch of empty heads the lot of them. 0.2%. I wake up way more impaired (always have, takes me a while to get going) then I really couldn't guess at how many joints of non-THC joints I would have to smoke to get anywhere near it. Same as DUI for 0.2%? This would be the same impairment if you drank a bottle of water.

Yen but it got Anutin elected before the 0.2% THC announcement, just another money making scam IMO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Alcohol, drugs, phones and driving a one/two ton vehicle in frequently, fast moving, heavy traffic.........what is wrong with people????

Sat in a small street bar last night watching the traffic and I would estimate 25%+ drivers (vast majority women) were scrolling through their phones as they headed towards the traffic lights.

When I used to get stoned, I found I was infinitely more alert than after only two beers or two glasses of wine. After a few cocktails, forget it. Alcohol is 10x more lethal than ganga, in my opinion. Yet it is legal to drink, whereas in Thailand it is illegal to smoke ganga. Despite all the noise Anutin is making. 

• Like 2

Police UK impairment test..... do you think the Thai police are trained to do this? - it can take over 15 minutes.

i) An examination of your pupils, during which the officer will tell you to look straight ahead, whilst keeping your eyes open. A gauge will then be used, held adjacent to the side of your head, to ascertain the size of your pupils.

ii) The “Modified Romberg Balance Test”. The officer will direct you to stand up straight, with your heels and toes together, and arms down by your side. He/she will tell you to maintain that position. You will then be told to tilt your head back and close your eyes. After this you will be told to bring your head forward, open your eyes and say the word “stop” after you, not the officer, think that 30 seconds has passed. The officer will check your estimation of 30 seconds with his own watch and note how well, generally, you carry out the test.

iii) “The walk and turn test” involves just that and should be demonstrated to you, by the officer, before it’s your turn. He/she should identify a straight line, away from any kerb, and will then ask you to place your left foot on that line. After that you will be instructed to place your right foot in front of the left so that they are heel to toe. You should be told to keep your arms to your side and take 9 heel to toe steps, counting out aloud each step as you take it. You will then be told to turn around and repeat the exercise. All the while your actions will be noted down and any deviation in keeping to the straight line, marked on the documentation being completed by the officer, together with any other items of potential interest; i.e. whether you started to soon, failed to turn correctly, etc., will be similarly noted.

iv) “The one leg stand test” begins with the officer telling you to keep your legs together, with your arms by your side, before you are given further instructions. You will then be told to raise your right leg between 6 and 8 inches (15 to 20 centimetres) off the ground. He/she will expect you to keep your right foot parallel with the ground and look at it whilst you, over 30 or so seconds, count up, not to yourself but aloud, “one thousand and one”, “one thousand and two, “one thousand and three” and so one. The officer may then, though he/she does not have to, ask you to repeat the exercise with your left foot. During the whole procedure the officer will take a note of any point at which you sway, hop or generally lose your balance, together with the point at which, during the test, this occurred.

v) “The finger to nose test” is described as a test of depth perception and balance. You will be told to stand with your feet together and, whilst doing this, bring both arms up in front of you, with the palms uppermost, and your fist closed; apart that is from your index finger of each hand, which you will be told to extend. What this all means should be demonstrated to you by the officer, before you are asked to complete the task. You will then be instructed to hold that position whilst the other instructions are given. You will then have to tip your head back slightly and close your eyes. After this you must touch your nose with the index finger of your right or left arm (the choice of which is for the officer to make), whilst all the while maintaining your posture and keeping your eyes closed. The officer will then will then instruct you to repeat the exercise by calling out, in the following order, “left”, “right”, “left”, “right”, “right”, “left” whilst all the while noting your ability to both follow instructions and carry out those instructions.

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I know I was more alert. One knows these things. After a few drinks my reflexes are poor. Not so with most ganga. 

possibly the daftest response on the whole thread?

the purpose of all recreational drugs -(including alcohol) - is to alter your state of mind yet you decide you "know" - the very thing drugs alter,

you need to read or weed up a little...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/26/driving-while-high-cannabis-study-safety

Edited by Thunglom
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It is a fact that driving while stoned on ganga, is alot safer than driving while drunk. I myself have felt this, but the reefer madness crew on this thread, who are likely heavy drinkers, somehow feel threatened by this. 

Driving while stoned is not as dangerous as driving while drunk — in fact, according to a new report, it’s about as safe as driving while sober once variables are adjusted for.

While drunk driving dramatically increases the chances of getting into an accident, researchers from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found no evidence to suggest the same was true of marijuana use, the federal agency’s Roadside Survey of Alcohol and Drug Use by Drivers reveals.

https://time.com/3706491/driving-stoned-drunk-study-safety/

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Everyone is different. When I was an alcoholic, it would have been dangerous to drive without alcohol. 

Give me a joint and it's dangerous for me to drive, but many can drive safely. 

There are many I know who drive after taking tranquilizers and anti-depressants. 

6 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm... just what Thailand needs, more drunk and and now stoned drivers on their already lethal roads. I shudder to think of the likely outcome

Stone cold sober drivers have no idea so it is simply more of the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a fact that driving while stoned on ganga, is alot safer than driving while drunk. I myself have felt this, but the reefer madness crew on this thread, who are likely heavy drinkers, somehow feel threatened by this. 

Driving while stoned is not as dangerous as driving while drunk — in fact, according to a new report, it’s about as safe as driving while sober once variables are adjusted for.

While drunk driving dramatically increases the chances of getting into an accident, researchers from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found no evidence to suggest the same was true of marijuana use, the federal agency’s Roadside Survey of Alcohol and Drug Use by Drivers reveals.

https://time.com/3706491/driving-stoned-drunk-study-safety/

Only a stoner could interpret that as a false dichotomy - the alternative is not "driving drunk" - it's driving SOBER. ..or do you think it is essential to take some form of drug before driving????

• Confused 1

...and here's te latest showing the police have no idea of how to enforce any DD safety laws regarding cannabis.

"The Land Transport Department (DLT) is pushing for a law that bans public transport drivers from using cannabis before driving. Cannabis intoxication will then likely be made illegal for all drivers on Thai roads." nation

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

I thought it was the hair sample test that lasted weeks not the saliva ??

well, you are wrong.

Even after saliva tests you then have to have blood test. In the UK they have brought back the archaic roadside impairment tests - there is no real way of proving how stoned someone is.

This goes back 25 years or so, but in Australia a group of researchers were so committed to proving that marijuana impaired driving that they actually got their subjects drunk first.

And sure enough, they proved that stoned drivers are dangerous.

If they're drunk too.

This matches my real world experience on the subject.  When stoned I'm a slow, cautious driver. When drunk I'm a carefree reckless driver, but still sort of in control.

But when drink and stoned I'm an absolute lunatic and I am sometimes amazed I am still on the planet.

That said, and by far, the greatest danger I've posed on the roads is when I am sleep deprived.  And my experience in Thailand is that this is when I am at the greatest risk of losing my life, when I am in the van that some sketchy agency arranged for me to do the A-to-B and the driver starts falling asleep because this is his fourteenth run in the last 32 hours and you have to resort to all kinds of ridiculous tricks to keep him awake.

Grade risk and devote resources accordingly.

On 5/29/2022 at 10:41 PM, dingdongrb said:

I'm sure it would register a sore throat. 

True, in fact not unssimilar to COVID symptoms! You should absolutely get yourself tested just to be safe.