sending money uk to thailand, i don't get charged but gf does

1 hour ago, treetops said:

It's not 100% clear from the posts, but I think the 300 baht was only charged once on the original transfer.

OP:  Does "first test" at the start of this post mean first post in this discussion or first post today?

yes treetops. she sent 1000 as a test , to make sure all the details are correct , account number , name etc . we put to but a property , BB took 300bt . today she sent another 1000 "to freinds or family" , she received the whole 1000

@brendan3150do you have online banking or the Bangkok Bank app available ?

You will see the 300 THB charge code/reason specified there.

If it only happened once, I am still betting on it being the annual fee for her ATM card.

Bangkok Bank do not charge for receiving normal Wise transfers as it is sent in THB from a local partner.

• Like 2

@scubascuba3 she got charged 300 when she first sent 1000 as we put the reason for sending as "money for property purchase"

the second time she sent 1000 we put the reason as "sending to family or friends" and she was not charged

we won't really know what the 300 charge was for , i will update once we get there. it could have been a charge for the card/account as someone mentioned as she didn't check what her balance was for a few weeks or before sending the first 1000 , sorry i forgot to add that bit

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, brendan3150 said:

@scubascuba3 she got charged 300 when she first sent 1000 as we put the reason for sending as "money for property purchase"

the second time she sent 1000 we put the reason as "sending to family or friends" and she was not charged

we won't really know what the 300 charge was for , i will update once we get there. it could have been a charge for the card/account as someone mentioned as she didn't check what her balance was for a few weeks or before sending the first 1000 , sorry i forgot to add that bit

ok that's important, I'm pretty confident that's the annual ATM card fee, maybe ask your gf if it was charged same time last year

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

at the Bank they charge 100 baht for the letter so I don't think it's for that

I am not talking bank letter - funds for condo purchase require a different document but have not done myself.  But as others have said likely this was an ATM card fee.

10 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

will stating "sending to family or friends " be enough ?

Should be fine if she doing the buying in her name.  As Wise is limited to under 50k baht to many banks now it might require a lot of transactions.  Often better to make $50k type transfers by direct SWIFT from home bank but make sure send USD for conversion in Thailand.

Edited by lopburi3

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Long stay.

There are other posters on here who insist that the reason is irrelevant though.

Maybe they don't understand, it's only relevant if you need the transfers to show as International, otherwise it's best not to use it as it delayed settlement 

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe they don't understand, it's only relevant if you need the transfers to show as International, otherwise it's best not to use it as it delayed settlement 

And as I have said before, if you do not want a delayed settlement.....send it a day earlier. 555

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Should be fine if she doing the buying in her name.  As Wise is limited to under 50k baht to many banks now it might require a lot of transactions.  Often better to make $50k type transfers by direct SWIFT from home bank but make sure send USD for conversion in Thailand.

on wise when sending to bangkok bank i believe over 50,000bt is fine to certain banks , such as BB .

we went to her bank in london and was going to send the money ( about £50,000 ) using swiftto her BB account and change it to baht when we get there , but i think BB were going to give her 42.5  compared to wise at 43   ( ish )  . wise is charging her about £160 i think to send it and a better rate . is wise safe or would swift be a better option ?

some people have said wise is better .

@brendan3150 using Wise I first add funds to my GBP balance, they provide the sort code and your own account number, you can find it in the app.

They accept Faster Payments from any UK bank that offers them.

Once the funds are sitting in your GBP balance just "send money" and Wise will give you the rate, fees and expected arrival date.

If using the "long term" option funds will usually arrive the next working day around 1400 Thai time, this is because Wise ensure they are tagged as "international", not sure about "house etc" transfers.

There is a limit of 2 million THB per transfer with Wise but you can do more than one in a day.

I sent 3 transactions of 2 million THB last year with no problems.

Even with the seemingly large fee from Wise, the fact that they use near mid-market rates meant they were the most cost effective and believe me I did my research.

Wise is certainly the best from the UK, however US and other customers may have better options for larger sums.

If you have the dreaded Facebook, lots of information in this group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3137055526523798

14 minutes ago, Boyn said:

can somebody confirm , if sending money to thailand with Wise what reason do you give?

You can select any you wish from their list.

The "long term" reason from Wise to Bangkok Bank is there so those who need the certainty of it being marked as "international transfer" for visa purposes.

That one normally arrives the next working day as it is processed differently.

Other can arrive in minutes.

• Like 1

How to make something very simple complicated + generate 3 pages of posts without even having checked if something went wrong in the first place.

1) Check the fees of whatever bank or app you use, that will be the costs you pay.
2) Check balances and transaction records if you still don't believe it.
3) You now found out you were wrong or miscalculated something in the first place.
4) Regardless of those costs and outcome:
You will still be using them for the fastest and cheapest transfer.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, brendan3150 said:

apologies if my thread has annoyed you

You're quite new on here (Feb this year).  Stick around and you'll read much more miserable, pointless posts than that one from ChaiyaTH whose profile pic should probably be changed to -

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by treetops
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, brendan3150 said:

@ChaiyaTH yes we might have jumped the gun   , as it may well be the card fee .

but we were not aware that there was a card fee

she does not use online banking or app , she gets the balance from an ATM in the UK

apologies if my thread has annoyed you

good luck

I found it puzzling and have asked  for clarification

2 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

The "long term" reason from Wise to Bangkok Bank is there so those who need the certainty of it being marked as "international transfer" for visa purposes.

My 'long term ' money usually  takes  seconds if under 50k

19 hours ago, brendan3150 said:

You used two  different  reasons and got  two different results? Surely you have answered  you own question!

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

My 'long term ' money usually  takes  seconds if under 50k

The delay referred to (until 2:00pm the next day depending on timing) is when users require the transfer to be identified as coming from overseas, usually for visa/extension purposes.

This procedure is carried out with recipient acccounts in Bangkok Bank and maybe Kasikorn too.  If you are getting instant transfers with the "long term" option selected you must be sending to another bank.  Is that correct?

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You used two  different  reasons and got  two different results? Surely you have answered  you own question!

No, the reason is a red herring and should make no difference to what is received in the OP's Thai bank when using Wise.

Too many red herrings being thrown into the pot.

Bangkok Bank DO NOT charge a fee for receiving THB from Wise, whichever reason is selected for the transfer.

If they did, it would be all over the Facebook group, the link to which I posted earlier.

Unless the OP's wife can get a mini statement from the ATM in the UK, we shall not know what has happened until she can get to Thailand.

My bet remains it is the annual fee for her ATM card which just happens to be exactly the amount in question.

6 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

The "long term" and " buying a property" reasons both process transfers as International for both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn