Beef buffet restaurant mocks new PDPA law with highly censored pictures

webfact

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

This must be a joke if you are talking legal lawyer shysters.  The USA has that title now and forever.  Thailand does not even come close.

Yep.

Thought this factual content would be quite understood by reasonably intelligent people.

Guess not.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Spock said:

Bit pathetic when a restaurant cannot comment on a law. Can't see how libel has anything to do with people or businesses questioning laws or regulations. If faces are not to be shown and they are blurred in the restaurant's photos, in what sense have they done anything libellous or illegal?

Shhhhh...

Wouldn't want to offend the authoritarian sensibilities, would we?

• Like 1

I remember see the article from 29May and seeing the tier system laid out for punishment and recompense and then about 2 hours later, that paragraph at the end laying out this system, was not there anynore.  Why was it deleted? Why is this article moving away from the subject...the issue?

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Yes they are right.. watch a movie half of the movie is blurred.. for smoking, drinking, knifes, bikini, just as they think that people are stupid and don't know what is blurred... This restaurant is at last someone who dares to stand up against these 19th century laws by doing the same.... They should be awarded and  maybe an idea to blurr all the MP's  of this Government to prevent that people get upset too

19th century laws? Really? The DPDA is a simplified and 'open to Thai interpretation' version of the European data protection laws. Those laws are specific to digital information, how and when it can be collected, stored, made available to its titular owners, and how it can or should be deleted. Movie censorship and digital data rights are not the same, at least not for anyone who thinks about either for a minute or more...

In the age of easy access via the Internet, censorship of broadcast media is pretty silly - I'll give you that. But that is not the same as how you can control who can capture identifying data about you and how they store it and use it. 

• Like 1

Come on people. Thailand is actually slow in implementing a law of this nature. It is illegal in almost every western country for a business to use a persons image for advertising purposes without their written consent and payment for the use thereof. There have been numerous court cases in the USA and Australia over the past 30 years, that I've read about in the media, where individuals have sued business' for the unauthorised use of their image, and won

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I hope they use the same law with all those YouTubers who run around and publish the faces of anybody who is near their camera.

Here, here to many <deleted> roaming the streets without anything better to do on a daily basis, poking their lenses into other people's business.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I hope they use the same law with all those YouTubers who run around and publish the faces of anybody who is near their camera.

Hiding form someone are we. 555

4 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Hiding form someone are we. 555

We?

Maybe that is the case for you.

Personally I just don't want to be in lots of pictures and videos. I like my privacy. I guess for some people who post their whole life on fb that is difficult to understand.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

This must be a joke if you are talking legal lawyer shysters.  The USA has that title now and forever.  Thailand does not even come close.

There was one struck off lawyer from texas teaching English ta a Thai university until recently. Same guy also did 5 years jail for the case that got his disbarred. 

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

While the US is certainly a highly litigious nation, Thailand has it beat in several ways. 

I've never seen a US news report fail to mention the name of a restaurant or hotel or other business involved in a controversy for fear of a defamation lawsuit. 

I've never heard of a US business bring a lawsuit against a patron for posting a negative review. 

And the US has nothing similar to Thailand’s 112 laws that can land political opponents in jail for speaking out against those in power. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

While the US is certainly a highly litigious nation, Thailand has it beat in several ways. 

I've never seen a US news report fail to mention the name of a restaurant or hotel or other business involved in a controversy for fear of a defamation lawsuit. 

I've never heard of a US business bring a lawsuit against a patron for posting a negative review. 

And the US has nothing similar to Thailand’s 112 laws that can land political opponents in jail for speaking out against those in power. 

It sounds like the USA and Thailand have different laws, rules and regulations.

How weird is that ?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It sounds like the USA and Thailand have different laws, rules and regulations.

How weird is that ?

Not weird at all.

I guess you missed my point that it's inaccurate to call the US the litigation champion when Thailand's different laws, rules and regulations make it a more litigious nation than the US in some lawsuit categories.

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We?

Maybe that is the case for you.

Personally I just don't want to be in lots of pictures and videos. I like my privacy. I guess for some people who post their whole life on fb that is difficult to understand.

Aren't you the poster that regularly posts photos of other people ?

Usually photos of females wearing just their underwear .

You seem to want your own privacy, but don't mind invading other peoples privacy by posting their photo  without asking their permission