Questions asked about the right to elect provincial governors

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

At present, only voters in the capital are permitted to elect their governor, while all other provinces must accept governors appointed by the Interior Ministry.

And that's what's wrong with the present regime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Electing your government is the democratic way as long as there are free and fair elections. However, as Myanmar found out it was not liked by the military.  What would happen here if the country was allowed to elect all positions?  I hate to think of what the generals would do here...

Go to their off-shore palaces and live in luxury with their retirement funds?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Calls for the right to elect governors in other provinces across the country have grown

Personally, I think this is BS. This sounds like the farangs who moderate here (aka webfact) and the media are trying to stir up a brew to see what comes out.  There is no more interest now than there has been for the past 20 years.  Sure some people (especially those who want to shuffle up to the trough) want to elect their governors, but most people that I knew up around my wife's district could not care less as long as the roads got fixed and they got some management of the Province.

"only voters in the capital are permitted to elect their governor"

Not always true.

When the Thai government has been overthrown by the military (13 times now), it's the junta that can appoint the governor. Asawin Kwanmuang was the military-appointed governor in 2016 and served until this March to contest the election.