Thai driver license

You often require a residence certificate from immigration or letter from your embassy.

Which imm office do you deal with..

Attached is residence certificate from CW. 

You will most likely receive better advice in Thailand Motor Forum 

IMG_20220602_173304_545~3.jpg

Edited by DrJack54

I seem to remember years ago having to get a form notarized at the US embassy and a heath check to get my Thai driver license at the land transport office at Chatuchuk .

Sorry i let it lapse . I am in Chonburi now maybe just have to go find the DLT and check .

Edited by HKwang 12
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The health check is simple procedure done  by most clinics

And more often than not the "doctor" that operates under an umbrella close to the DLT offices, ????

• Haha 2

You need to have done a previous 90-day report to get a residency certificate at Chiang Wattana. It was required 2 and a half years ago, not sure about currently.

There IS (or was) a US Embassy option if you hadn't done a 90-day report. A notorized affidavit of residency from the US embassy for $50 USD. You must affirm your address to the notary and sign the document before them. The $50 is the embassy notary standard fee. This option was presented to me from an immigration officer at Chiang Wattana 2+ years ago when I got my Thai driving license. 

1 hour ago, Limey125 said:

I got the residence certificate from immigration had to wait 10 days for it or pay to get it same day and a medical certificate costing 100 baht from doctor 

Thai Immigration Office for Pattaya on Jomtien Soi 5 will issue the residence certificate on the day you apply.  If not busy, you can wait for about 30 minutes to get it. If they are busy, they may ask you to come back later in the day or the next day if you apply in late afternoon - as I recall they are issued at Desk 9. 

You will need to complete the application, provide 2 photos (they keep one and attach the other to the Certificate). 

Note, the application form will ask what it is for -- if you check driving license for both car and motorcycle, they will INSIST on you getting a separate certificate for each even though Banglamung Land Transport Office will accept one original and one photocopy if you are applying for both licenses.  Photos can be obtained next door to the Immigration Office before you enter.

It has been a while since I got one there, but as I recall the fee was 300 baht - it may have risen to 500 baht  - the fee is for each certificate issued.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to obtain a residence certificate from your imm office.

Jomtien? 

The health check is simple procedure done  by most clinics.

Especially those near transport office.

Forget about embassy option

I renewed my 5 yrs DL in April 2022, was not asked for medical certificate.

This was phuket DLT

2 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

My "health check" to get my license went like this:

Doctor:  You not crazy or blind, right?

Me: No.

Doctor: 500 Baht.

You were robbed "blind" B150 max is usual

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 6:32 AM, soisanuk said:

The Pattaya City Expats Club has a page on their website showing what documents are needed including a medical certificate and how to view the online video which is required to be done beforehand by the Banglamung Department of Land Transport Office which issues Thai driving licenses for Pattaya area. It also includes information on obtaining a Certificate of Residence from the Thai Immigration Office on Jomtien Soi 5 which is accepted in lieu of any document from the US Embassy.

Go to their website at www.pcec.club - across the top, you will see a list of topics.  Hover your mouse over "Living in Thailand" - a drop down menu will display "Driving Vehicles" - hover over that topic and another drop down menu will show "Thai Driving License" - click on it to get the information mentioned above.

a very informative post........

On 6/3/2022 at 10:44 AM, foreverlomsak said:

I presented the Yellow House Book as proof of address, accepted without problem, they insisted that they had to use my passport number, not my Thai ID card (same number as the yellow book), on the DL

That sounds like DLT nonsense.
Unless perhaps your 1st TDL ?
My ( 3rd) TDL ( 1st 5 yr) has my Thai National ID not Passport. YB used in place of Imm TM30 for Address and in fact guarantees you a 5 year TDL (after initial 2year TDL). 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:37 AM, DrJoy said:

I renewed my 5 yrs DL in April 2022, was not asked for medical certificate.

This was phuket DLT

Should have taken one anyway. It’s a 100 baht ten minute prior process at any clinic. Why go to DLT to find out it’s not needed and risk being sent away if needed ? 

I was so determined to get my first 5 year TDL at first attempt I gave them a maximum docs set so never found out what they did not need! 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:09 AM, Gsxrnz said:

My "health check" to get my license went like this:

Doctor:  You not crazy or blind, right?

Me: No.

Doctor: 500 Baht.

Doctor not required. Reception Desk at Clinic does it on five minutes. 100 baht Thai clinic , 300 at tourist clinic. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

That sounds like DLT nonsense.
Unless perhaps your 1st TDL ?
My ( 3rd) TDL ( 1st 5 yr) has my Thai National ID not Passport. YB used in place of Imm TM30 for Address and in fact guarantees you a 5 year TDL (after initial 2year TDL). 

4th - they've always used my passport no despite me presenting my yellow book (it was issued 17 years ago) as proof of address  and being accepted every time.