Guns have become the leading cause of death for American kids

onthedarkside

16 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

You haven't gone to Sunday school when you were little that's if your a Christian.

I did go to Sunday school, but when I was about 12 years old I started seeing through the whole charade that is ‘religion’. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

You haven't gone to Sunday school when you were little that's if your a Christian.

Do you mean those people who believe in spirits, Holy Ghost), virgin births, (Mary), do you believe that 3 Wise? men rode hundreds of km across deserts to bring free gifts to an unknown baby born in a stable? The same people that believe that eating a sort of biscuit and drinking diluted red wine is eating the flesh and blood of a man who was allegedly crucified , stabbed to death with a spear, interred in a cave with a great rock in front ot it, supposedly then came back to life? Those people who wear amulets like a cross or a picture of S Christopher, some of whom carry worry beads?

Nah. I grew out of that belief decades ago after I left Sunday school.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

3 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Doomed?

Republicans haven't won the popular vote in decades and every year they become more outnumbered. 

Thats why they need to win by gerrymandering, voter suppression, fake news and now, passing laws to stack election boards with QAnon nincompoops and unethical right wing stooges, willing to throw elections. 

You should really watch the movie 2000 mules, you might learn something about your party and why they win.

• Haha 1

Just now, rudi49jr said:

I did go to Sunday school, but when I was about 12 years old I started seeing through the whole charade that is ‘religion’. 

I went to Catholic Church. Turns out, the priesthood is a big club of pedophiles.

priests-boy.png

6 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I figured out the god thing was a farce around the same time I figured out Santa Clause wasn't bringing those 12" presents down our 9" chimney.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Do you mean those people who believe in spirits, Holy Ghost), virgin births, (Mary), do you believe that 3 Wise? men rode hundreds of km across deserts to bring free gifts to an unknown baby born in a stable? The same people that believe that eating a sort of biscuit and drinking diluted red wine is eating the flesh and blood of a man who was allegedly crucified , stabbed to death with a spear, interred in a cave with a great rock in front ot it, supposedly then came back to life? Those people who wear amulets like a cross or a picture of S Christopher, some of whom carry worry beads?

Nah. I grew out of that belief decades ago after I left Sunday school.

I never have given up on God as God has been with me all my life, in Vietnam when soldiers were shot all around me and when I was stuck in India with only 25 dollars in my pocket and had to hitch hike to Germany to fined work God has been for me and I hope for you too.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, rudi49jr said:

First of all, the topic here is gun control, not abortion, so please cool your jets and stay on topic.

And contrary to what almost all Republican law makers would have you believe, Democrats are not out to take everyone's guns away. Just a few very sensible gun control rules would already go a very long way, like background checks, and raising the age from 18 to 21 for people who want to buy a gun. People can't have a beer in many states until they're 21, but they can buy an AR-15 when they're 18. Doesn't that sound just a little ridiculous to you?

Although they aren't, they can also be drafted at 18.

And they can vote at 18.

19 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

I went to Catholic Church. Turns out, the priesthood is a big club of pedophiles.

Well President Biden and Speaker Pelosi are both devout Catholics. How can you vote for people that believe such nonsense? 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I am sorry to hear that, I hope you find God again as he is real and humans well not so real.

I hope you know the people that support Trump are going to burn in hell.

White supremacists, bigots, homophobes, money grubbing conmen, wife cheaters, liars.... not welcome in heaven.

Edited by LarrySR
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 2:59 PM, Siamjim said:

many shooters have mental health issues, got lots serious mental health issues people there in the states. if there were no guns would the killing stop. i would think not.

Good response,no one knows if the killing would stop but the mass shootings might.

This week in the Netherlands a young boy was kidnapped and killed.

The young man who did this was well know by the police,they said he had trouble getting his life on track.

Mentally ill?Probably.

If this guy would have had access to a gun who knows how many people he would have

killed?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I am sorry to hear that, I hope you find God again as he is real and humans well not so real.

ser, God is a construct of the human mind not an actual celestial being. imho the main reason that man invented gods and afterlife is so that we don't go mad from the despair of thinking about fading away to nothingness when we die.

so I suppose that technically "God" exists but not as an existential force. the belief in God is maybe what saved your in Viet Nam. or maybe just luck/happenstance/confluence.

27 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Although they aren't, they can also be drafted at 18.

And they can vote at 18.

Remind me, at what age are Americans considered responsible enough to have an alcoholic drink according to the law?  

1 minute ago, jvs said:

Good response,no one knows if the killing would stop but the mass shootings might.

This week in the Netherlands a young boy was kidnapped and killed.

The young man who did this was well know by the police,they said he had trouble getting his life on track.

Mentally ill?Probably.

If this guy would have had access to a gun who knows how many people he would have

killed?

the US numbers show us how lethal those AR-15s can be so it would surely have been a much higher body count. from what I've read they're lightweight, easy to use, very accurate and come with high-capacity magazines. 

if I was forced to live in the States then I'd probably choose to live in an open carry State. at least that way you have some small chance of defending yourself when the shizzle goes down. 

8 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

I hope you know the people that support Trump are going to burn in hell.

White supremacists, bigots, homophobes, money grubbing conmen, wife cheaters, liars.... not welcome in heaven.

You have been watching too shows like the View, this is all BS Remember when America falls in the deepest of holes with Biden and his team of inexperience cumquats, stop digging. I wish there was one thing right that Biden has done right but I can't think of any, could you?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

imho the main reason that man invented gods and afterlife is so that we don't go mad from the despair of thinking about fading away to nothingness when we die.

Perhaps the despair of fading away to nothingness ties in to the apparent disregard for life and all the killings. 

Nothing new about guns, or kids having guns in the US. 

29 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I think you got that backwards: people are real and god is a made-up entity that no one has ever seen or talked to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James105 said:

Remind me, at what age are Americans considered responsible enough to have an alcoholic drink according to the law?  

It depends on where you are, what you are doing who you are with, but of course you knew that, yes? 

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Perhaps the despair of fading away to nothingness ties in to the apparent disregard for life and all the killings. 

Nothing new about guns, or kids having guns in the US. 

there's probably any number of reasons why there are so many killings. bullying, mental illness, feeling left out of society etc.

but I'm not so sure about the nothing new part. it seems to me as a foreign observer that over the years it has become increasingly easier for people to get hold of guns in the USA, especially the assault rifle variety.

that, and the blanket coverage of the latest atrocity might encourage copy cat killings. 

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a solution as the gun lobby is way too strong. I don't see these mass shootings ending any time soon.

19 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

ser, God is a construct of the human mind not an actual celestial being. imho the main reason that man invented gods and afterlife is so that we don't go mad from the despair of thinking about fading away to nothingness when we die.

so I suppose that technically "God" exists but not as an existential force. the belief in God is maybe what saved your in Viet Nam. or maybe just luck/happenstance/confluence.

I'm not very lucky and I haven't won anything in my life but he was in Viet Nam with me for sure.

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

there's probably any number of reasons why there are so many killings. bullying, mental illness, feeling left out of society etc.

Nothing new about any of these things is there? Of course before the relentless attacks on the country, I think it was generally easier for people to feel more a part of the whole.

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

but I'm not so sure about the nothing new part. it seems to me as a foreign observer that over the years it has become increasingly easier for people to get hold of guns in the USA, especially the assault rifle variety.

You are incorrect. It (generally)  has never been more difficult for citizens to buy guns.

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

that, and the blanket coverage of the latest atrocity might encourage copy cat killings. 

The press con only hope. 

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a solution as the gun lobby is way too strong. I don't see these mass shootings ending any time soon.

The "gun lobby" and the NRA are both weaker than they have been in 50 years. This is a phony issue. Politicians that do not want additional gun controls, do not want additional gun controls because their constituents do not want additional gun controls.   

2 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I'm not very lucky and I haven't won anything in my life but he was in Viet Nam with me for sure.

Lots of religious American soldiers who firmly believed in god went to Vietnam. So why did quite a few of them get killed? Seems rather arbitrary that god would spare you, but not them, seeing as how you were all more or less equally religious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Nothing new about any of these things is there? Of course before the relentless attacks on the country, I think it was generally easier for people to feel more a part of the whole.

You are incorrect. It (generally)  has never been more difficult for citizens to buy guns.

The press con only hope. 

The "gun lobby" and the NRA are both weaker than they have been in 50 years. This is a phony issue. Politicians that do not want additional gun controls, do not want additional gun controls because their constituents do not want additional gun controls.   

if it's so difficult for citizens to get guns then how did the latest shooter, an 18yo bullied kid iirc, get his hands on an AR-15 or DDR-15 or whatever it was?

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Politicians that do not want additional gun controls, do not want additional gun controls because their constituents do not want additional gun controls.

You mean Republican politicians? Because from what I gather, a vast majority of people, even gun owners, are in favor of (a little) more gun control, like background checks.

• Like 1