Ukraine condemns Macron for saying Russia should not be ‘humiliated’

onthedarkside

38 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here's actually what he said. Keep in mind that this took place in 2019

Emmanuel Macron warns Europe: NATO is becoming brain-dead
America is turning its back on the European project. Time to wake up, the French president tells The Economist

https://www.economist.com/europe/2019/11/07/emmanuel-macron-warns-europe-nato-is-becoming-brain-dead

Why would he ever say that American was turning its back on Europe? Who was America's President then? hmmm....

And has the USA turned its back on NATO and Europe since the WAR in Ukraine started this year?

• Like 1

when the fighting stops we can build an exit ramp through diplomatic means

Sadly, Putin has put Russia in a situation from where it has no possible diplomatic exit. Neither Ukraine nor NATO or the EU can offer any significant concession to Russia.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I live on a planet on which the USA has all interests for this war to go on and it's them, by supplying billions of dollars of weapons (money which they don't have btw), who are propagating it.

Obviously it's a different planet from yours.

But trying to use common sense for a moment, it's clear that Russia will not stop if they are humiliated. Macron is (sometimes) right. Like when he said that NATO is obsolete and EU needs their own (minus USA and Canada, that is). That doesn't go well with the USA economic interests.

So Russia invades a peaceful country with the 3 year old logic of "MINE MINE MINE"

The World responds by sending Ukraine military aid

Norway

Sweden

Finland

Denmark

Netherlands

Latvia

Estonia

Lithuania 

Poland

Germany

Britain

France

Turkey

Italy

Greece

Spain

Canada

Japan

Israel

Oh and the US

And more

And you make this into the US is propagating war?

Humiliate Russia? No I want the country drawn and quartered and scattered to the four corners of the earth never to return.

Thankfully they seem to be doing just that. Russia as it was will not exist again

Slava Ukraine

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tgw said:

Sadly, Putin has put Russia in a situation from where it has no possible diplomatic exit. Neither Ukraine nor NATO or the EU can offer any significant concession to Russia.

The only convenient scenario would be a regime change. It would allow Russia to save face by putting the blame on Putin. No idea about the probability of this scenario to occur.

33 minutes ago, candide said:

The only convenient scenario would be a regime change. It would allow Russia to save face by putting the blame on Putin. No idea about the probability of this scenario to occur.

a regime change is hardly a diplomatic exit, is it?

also, I'm pretty sure that nobody will be satisfied if only Putin goes / dies / is prosecuted / is sentenced / is imprisoned / is executed ... Putin has thousands of accomplices, some of which are currently asking on Russian TV to "erase the last 30 years of Ukraine's history", while former Ruzzian president Medvedev wants "all Ukrainians gone".

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tgw said:

also, I'm pretty sure that nobody will be satisfied if only Putin goes / dies / is prosecuted / is sentenced / is imprisoned / is executed ... Putin has thousands of accomplices, some of which are currently asking on Russian TV to "erase the last 30 years of Ukraine's history", while former Ruzzian president Medvedev wants "all Ukrainians gone".

At least, the "regime change" scenario allows more hope than Putin remaining in command. I would assume that a significant share of Putin's sycophants are opportunistic people who would be eager to change tune when needed.  There's a Soviet tradition about it. ????

Regime change is a convenient face saving opportunity, I.e. remember France after WW2. The people cheering De Gaulle in France were the same people who used to cheer Petain. There are plenty of other examples, starting with West and East Germany after WW2.

Having said that, as I wrote before, I have no idea about the probabilities attached to this scenario.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

now you are going to upset the anti-Putin crowd living in lala land ????