Israel builds laser weapon to zap threats out of sky

onthedarkside

Most effective and lethal. With laser pulse travelling 300 times faster than the speed of light, I'm surprised none of the 5 Eyes alliance considered developing such weaponry and installing them on their military aircraft.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mvdf said:

Most effective and lethal. With laser pulse travelling 300 times faster than the speed of light, I'm surprised none of the 5 Eyes alliance considered developing such weaponry and installing them on their military aircraft.

Such a small country with so many clever people!!!

Israel have some top class scientists and Engineers and this Laser weapon seems like it is pushing the boundaries. Apparently it is so advanced it is 100% solar powered, no reliance on external power or batteries.  The Israeli boffins are now pushing the limits of known Science to get it to work at night ????

This is amazing defense technology. The Israelis are truly gifted when it comes to security tech. Unlike missiles, a laser pulse has zero drag and mechanical friction to contend with and to slow it down making distance of target a negligible concern. A swift and unforgiving killing tool.

Edited by mvdf

Is the US sharing (stolen?) laser technology with Israel?

May 18, 2022

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology

Raytheon team in McKinney has made a laser to shoot drones, missiles out of the sky.

The Army $123.9 million project was tested to shoot down drones, mortors and missiles with a 50kw laser. Test was successful against motor rounds and drones.

15 hours ago, mvdf said:

Since when can laser light travel 300 times faster than the speed of light, if it consists also of a light beam????

• Haha 1

This Iron Beam system is a low energy electric laser for mainly incendaries being carried by balloons.  It is a $2 per beam weapon to be used against $1 worth of balloons & burning rubbish.  It may work against drones and possibly artillery rounds.

It will not work against the rockets that Israel's enemies will fire in wartime and which will still need Iron Dome & David's Sling AA missiles to defeat.

16 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Is the US sharing (stolen?) laser technology with Israel?

May 18, 2022

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology

Raytheon team in McKinney has made a laser to shoot drones, missiles out of the sky.

The Army $123.9 million project was tested to shoot down drones, mortors and missiles with a 50kw laser. Test was successful against motor rounds and drones.

You might just as sensibly ask is the US stealing laser technology from Israel.

8 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

This Iron Beam system is a low energy electric laser for mainly incendaries being carried by balloons.  It is a $2 per beam weapon to be used against $1 worth of balloons & burning rubbish.  It may work against drones and possibly artillery rounds.

It will not work against the rockets that Israel's enemies will fire in wartime and which will still need Iron Dome & David's Sling AA missiles to defeat.

The article contradicts your characterization. You have a link to an actual source that supports your claim that you can share with us?

On 6/6/2022 at 6:46 AM, mvdf said:

300 times the speed of light…. LOL….laser beams are made up of photons. Light cannot travel faster than light, nothing can (barring ‘communication’ between particles in quantum entanglement)

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

300 times the speed of light…. LOL….laser beams are made up of photons. Light cannot travel faster than light, nothing can (barring ‘communication’ between particles in quantum entanglement)

regardless, i'm just happy to see Israel developing such sophisticated weaponry. better Israel doing this than China (maybe not for long as they are master copycats) 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 12:47 AM, mvdf said:

Screenshot 2022-06-07 08.17.26.png

You are not gifted in physics, are you? Then perhaps you should not quote articles that you do not understand. The catchy headline you quote is meant for the general public and to gain notoriety, maybe some interviews on American TV and such. To physicists, it's clear that this was a lab experiment designed specifically for the purpose, under conditions that do not exist in nature. Similarly, there have been experiments "demonstrating" time travel and such. Also in astrophysics there are phemomena (diffusion of a light beam from a rotating source off integalactic clouds) that can be interpreted as fast-than-light speed. Relax, laser travels at about light speed in our atmosphere, which btw is more than sufficient to fulfill the destructive purpose.

Considering how many civilian aircraft have been brought down by human mistakes or errors of judgement, I am far less enthusiastic than you about this news.

31 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

You are not gifted in physics, are you? Then perhaps you should not quote articles that you do not understand. The catchy headline you quote is meant for the general public and to gain notoriety, maybe some interviews on American TV and such. To physicists, it's clear that this was a lab experiment designed specifically for the purpose, under conditions that do not exist in nature. Similarly, there have been experiments "demonstrating" time travel and such. Also in astrophysics there are phemomena (diffusion of a light beam from a rotating source off integalactic clouds) that can be interpreted as fast-than-light speed. Relax, laser travels at about light speed in our atmosphere, which btw is more than sufficient to fulfill the destructive purpose.

Considering how many civilian aircraft have been brought down by human mistakes or errors of judgement, I am far less enthusiastic than you about this news.

Never claimed to be gifted. Then perhaps you shouldn't accuse without any solid logical footing. Copy that? I assume you do. Good. Know your place. 

Wrong Asian to be confrontational with. I don't simply kowtow and say yes yes my white lord. 

Edited by mvdf

19 hours ago, mvdf said:

Never claimed to be gifted. Then perhaps you shouldn't accuse without any solid logical footing. Copy that? I assume you do. Good. Know your place. 

Wrong Asian to be confrontational with. I don't simply kowtow and say yes yes my white lord. 

Similarly, you don't know that I am white, do you?  I said you should not quote references you do not understand and spread misinformation, everything else is bla-bla that I am not interested in. Good bye.