Dealing with the general lack of standards and lack of common sense.

As the trite saying goes, when given a lemon, make lemonade.

Having lived in a host of countries, I have learned to ignore things that could be irritating, and just accept that if I choose to be somewhere, I have to be willing to accept what is on offer.

Take care, but learn to laugh it off....I traveled here dozens and dozens of times before taking up residence. I've been to Starbucks well more than 100 times in Thailand. Only once was hot coffee ready. Every other time, it's "Please wait about 4 minutes", as they had to fill the machine and begin brewing. I appreciate a hot beverage and 40 degree days don't necessarily go together, but early morning I do enjoy a hot cup. One would think that a Starbucks would, at least occasionally, have the coffee already brewed. I lived in Hong Kong, and even in summer hot coffee was always ready. Apparently I'm the only person ever in Thailand who orders hot coffee of the day, so asymptotically my % of hot coffee ready experience approaches 0%, with just that one statistical outlier.

So I smile and think how lucky I am! Freshly brewed every time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Excel said:

Sure there are many people like the OP who only know one thing, and that is growing up in a nanny state where the rule of thumb is that no one has any common sense and the state has to warn you about anything. Some of us are much older and I remember the days when that did not exist, when falling and spraining your ankle in a pavements pothole was considered your own stupid fault for not looking or falling over on your bum because the floor was wet was similar.  Having lived here for half my life now I now where I prefer to be but perhaps that is because I am still gifted with common sense.

Or even the most engaging and backward ideals that all ethical standards and common sense [whatever the **** that is] require a deep Eurocentric definition of the usual superlative manner. 

Don't know which is more daffy and immoral - the fanciful practice or the promotion thereof. 

Most, within these indoctrinated circles, won't get it whatsoever. 

On 6/6/2022 at 7:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Wow... those things frustrate you so much you wrote them twice !!! ????

You’re new....  that doesn’t make you wrong... it just means you’ll learn to ignore most of the dumb s#it and get on with things.... 

Having low expectations works !!... i.e. I’m pleasantly surprised if I take a taxi from Sukhumvit at midnight and he doesn’t try and rip me off !!!  I’m pleasantly surprised when a waitress gets ‘all of the family order’ correct !!... 

The safety aspect bugs me still.... but we can take our own precautions... Crossing the road, extra precaution... 

On the road, drive myself wherever possible. Motorcycling, again, myself, I never use moto-taxi’s etc (never at night or in the rain etc). 

Now.. given the context of your thread I give it’ll be less than a page before someone suggests that 'Thailand isn’t for you and you should go home !!!’  - this thread is too much of a dog-whistle for those who’d make such comments. 

Umm that was the idea of the thread anyway...

???????????? This tat never fails to rear its head every now and then with new fish venting their frustrations. Look, if everything worked how you wanted, it’d just be your country all over again right? How boring. Just accept and chill, or move on if things get to you that much. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

???????????? This tat never fails to rear its head every now and then with new fish venting their frustrations. Look, if everything worked how you wanted, it’d just be your country all over again right? How boring. Just accept and chill, or move on if things get to you that much. 

The predictable cycle is rather pathetic. 

They have little else. 

On 6/6/2022 at 10:41 PM, siam dreamers said:

I agree with you. General lack of standards and common sense. I like parts of living here also (my wife and son are here and it is relatively cheap) but I can't stand the general Thai craftsmen, workmanship, and inability to learn new methods and techniques.  This "backwardness" is great on vacation and i am not sure how much more I can lower my expectations. Honestly for me, living here full time compared to where I was raised kinda sucks. 

You can always move back home

Farangland sucks imo

So sterile n boring

On 6/6/2022 at 2:20 PM, Excel said:

Having lived here for half my life now I now where I prefer to be but perhaps that is because I am still gifted with common sense.

It is exceptionally if someone living here half of their life, still claim they have or are gifted with common sense. It doesn't fit the picture of most expats living here, but there must (hopefully) be at least one.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

You can always move back home

Farangland sucks imo

So sterile n boring

What do you miss most? 

I have been out now for 2 months and really do not miss anything except my gf. Been a blast coming back after COVID. But, I would miss it, if I could not return of course. 

6 minutes ago, Hummin said:

What do you miss most? 

I have been out now for 2 months and really do not miss anything except my gf. Been a blast coming back after COVID. But, I would miss it, if I could not return of course. 

Food mkts

Massages

Women everywhere

Cheap hotels

Cheap seafood

Walking around

10 hours ago, Hummin said:

It is exceptionally if someone living here half of their life, still claim they have or are gifted with common sense. It doesn't fit the picture of most expats living here, but there must (hopefully) be at least one.

Well with that post you are not one of them either ????

On 6/6/2022 at 7:09 PM, scubascuba3 said:

We should celebrate their backwardness it keeps Thailand the way we like it i.e. not like Singapore or Hong Kong

but it is frustrating i agree

This is the issue.  Many people want to change Thailand, but don't seem to realise that they might not like it if they did.  You can't "fix" the things you don't like and keep the bits you do.