Dealing with the general lack of standards and lack of common sense.

Wow... those things frustrate you so much you wrote them twice !!! ????

You’re new....  that doesn’t make you wrong... it just means you’ll learn to ignore most of the dumb s#it and get on with things.... 

Having low expectations works !!... i.e. I’m pleasantly surprised if I take a taxi from Sukhumvit at midnight and he doesn’t try and rip me off !!!  I’m pleasantly surprised when a waitress gets ‘all of the family order’ correct !!... 

The safety aspect bugs me still.... but we can take our own precautions... Crossing the road, extra precaution... 

On the road, drive myself wherever possible. Motorcycling, again, myself, I never use moto-taxi’s etc (never at night or in the rain etc). 

Now.. given the context of your thread I give it’ll be less than a page before someone suggests that 'Thailand isn’t for you and you should go home !!!’  - this thread is too much of a dog-whistle for those who’d make such comments. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wow... those things frustrate you so much you wrote them twice !!! ????

You’re new....  that doesn’t make you wrong... it just means you’ll learn to ignore most of the dumb s#it and get on with things.... 

Having low expectations works !!... i.e. I’m pleasantly surprised if I take a taxi from Sukhumvit at midnight and he doesn’t try and rip me off !!!  I’m pleasantly surprised when a waitress gets ‘all of the family order’ correct !!... 

The safety aspect bugs me still.... but we can take our own precautions... Crossing the road, extra precaution... 

On the road, drive myself wherever possible. Motorcycling, again, myself, I never use moto-taxi’s etc (never at night or in the rain etc). 

Now.. given the context of your thread I give it’ll be less than a page before someone suggests that 'Thailand isn’t for you and you should go home !!!’  - this thread is too much of a dog-whistle for those who’d make such comments. 

Yeah lol D’OH I guess I hit copy+paste. I fixed it though 

The flooring tiles outside (and sometimes the pavements) which literally become like walking on ice when they get wet , which they do when it rains.

I did slip and fall over a few times , but now I walk on the road when it rains .

Really should have used different tiles for the flooring 

I live near Phayao. There have been many road works here for the last 2 years and they have been well signed, In fact there is a portion of road north of Phayao that has been well signed as road works in progress speed limit 50k but nothing has happened for over 5 months 

• Thanks 1

ser, I think your need to either take a break from Thailand or go and do some meditation. or maybe take antidepressants like I do. or all three LOL.

I'm retired here since December 2021. prior to that my last visit was late 2014. on that trip and previous trips since 1997 I found myself getting frustrated and aggravated over stuff you described. it took the shine off of my holidays and I became quite jaundiced about the Kingdom.

I thought long and hard about whether I was cut out for living long-term in Thailand with that kind of attitude. then I finally came to the conclusion that i needed to "flip the script" and stop worrying about all the little niggles. Elsa from Frozen helped me too...let it go, let it go! ????

so armed with that adjusted attitude I've been happy here for the last six months with only one or two little incidents where I got riled up. the rest of the time I've been doing the good old jai yen yen and moving on with things after something less than optimal happens. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

- Vehicles literally never yield to pedestrians, ever. You can be crossing a crosswalk and a car will come zooming up, blocking your path and nearly hitting you. Not cultural, just a lack of brains and common sense. 

That's the only point of yours with which I agree, but that's not even limited to vehicle vs. pedestrian, in general it's: The biggest something has right of way, a truck more than a car, car more than a bike etc.

25 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

- 7/11 stores that have ‘Slurpee’ machines that are out of order, 24/7. Not an exaggeration. I guess playing on your phone and scolding customers who come in and don’t immediately check their temperature on those stupid machines is more Important.

The cashier's aren't he people who fix broken machines. In my experience the slurpee machines are mostly working, and for example broken ice cream machines in Mc Donalds are a gag in all countries, not limited to Thailand.

27 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

- Not making any kind of accommodation for anything, whatsoever. Example: substituting something for something else at a restaurant, requesting a retail store to hold an item for you for only a couple hours, or having a food delivery arrive at a certain exact time (always early, usually by 20+ minutes)

If I request anything special at a restaurant I nearly always get it, holding an item was never a problem, sometimes I even ask them to ship it to me so that I don't have to carry around, even that was no problem. Maybe the way you talk with people is a problem? That Thai people aren't on time is quite well known.

1 hour ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

- Breathtaking lack of safety standards and common sense. Example: I have never seen a “road work ahead” sign or even a symbol representing that idea. Another:, a cleaning lady at my gym will just mop the floor constantly, a hardwood floor, without even considering that a wet floor can cause someone to slip and fall. The concept is foreign to them.

I see them all the time (they are not at every road work site though), but they are in Thai. In my condo they put up "wet floor" signs, and in places like Central they do as well.

• Like 2

I've been living here for 12 years now. I've learned not to concern myself with what other people do here.

Recently, there was work being done at the condo. A Thai was using a tile cutter at about 120 dB with no eye or hearing protection. If he does that for a living, he will be deaf by age 45.

Is it my problem? No.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've been living here for 12 years now. I've learned not to concern myself with what other people do here.

Recently, there was work being done at the condo. A Thai was using a tile cutter at about 120 dB with no eye or hearing protection. If he does that for a living, he will be deaf by age 45.

Is it my problem? No.

I see guys doing welding and using sunglasses (sometimes not even using any eye protection ) and sun glasses offer no protection from the welding light and this will cause eye problems and blindness if they persist

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I see guys doing welding and using sunglasses (sometimes not even using any eye protection ) and sun glasses offer no protection from the welding light and this will cause eye problems and blindness if they persist

I see guys riding motorbikes with no helmets. 555

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Stop trying to impose your standards and rules on another culture it's just going to upset and disappoint you.

As I have said many times here, you have been taught and expect certain standards and behaviour all your life.

If you like, you play Chess ! Now you have come here where they play Checkers, your rules won't work.

You need to understand and learn Checkers and stop trying to force your host to play Chess.????

Checkers is easier. Good analogy though.

I feel exactly the same and that's way I give myself one more year and I will be out, then probably back again. Would not and will not make this my permanent home. There are better countries. I enjoy it for now though, even though I have almost been killed way too many times.

Don't learn the language, it will ruin it even more.

Edited by Kalorymetr
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

Don't learn the language, it will ruin it even more.

Yep.   The guys that say that are correct.    They would definitely not like what the

inhabitants here say about them . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But the their eye problems are not your problems so no problem.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

We should celebrate their backwardness it keeps Thailand the way we like it i.e. not like Singapore or Hong Kong

Exactly ????

It's never gonna change anyway. Chances are it's even gonna get worse as time goes by. Thailand won't escape the middle income trap. Didn't act quickly enough to solve its education, inequalities and workforce problems.

Demography is a b????tch...

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

What annoys me is Aseannow with the dam ad screen keep coming up from the right hand side while I'm trying read your post.

This appears to be new and is also seriously pissing me off.

• Like 2