My CNX Hotel Experience-June 2022

sqwakvfr

Better research = better holiday

Just for fun, yea, I'm that bored today.  Cheapest 5* hotels for CM

Looked at 2, knowing they'll give me a chuckle from listing photo;

1 had no restaurant

the other, only does brekkie.  ????

Cheapest ฿1013 pool view / ฿1365 w/brekkie (usual c r a p, filling at best)

Does look comfy for mere ฿1000 ... 

just don't expect to eat there after brekkie.

Listing starts off with ...

Get the celebrity treatment with world-class service at

image.png.765eb334ae2440fb2deb62462fb1ca6c.png

Screenshot (420).png

Edited by KhunLA

Unfortunately many folks just do not know how to behave as guests in top quality hotels.

4,000 Baht and you expect real 5 Star, oh wake up

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes I am in desperate  need of a shoe horn and sewing kit when I travel. All the OP had to do was call reception or housekeeping  and remind them politely they had forgotten to leave soap. BUT From a position of entitlement he addressed  the reception  staff physically, not housekeeping, probably shouted at her, a girl half his size made her nervous so she smiled nervously and arranged  for the items to be supplied. In line with many hotels environmental policies such items need to be ordered or requested to cut down on waste.

The OP was angry at the girl smiling at him  but seemed angry  at staff who did  not smile at him!

As for the hostile, aggressive  stunt of crossing out the service  charge - he made his point about what kind of person  he was and got  treated accordingly.

You know me so well.  Everything you said was correct.  You are great judge of character???  When did I ever mention anything about a "shoe horn" or sewing kit"? I never said I needed soap. I could not find any maids in the hallway and I was going to the bar anyway so I decided to stop at reception to make my complaint.  

2 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Unfortunately many folks just do not know how to behave as guests in top quality hotels.

Wow.  A profound judgement that is untrue.  But of course since you said it must true??

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

oh dear  '      It's just terrible that you ordered scrambled eggs and you sadly never got your scambled eggs.

just goes to show you can never trust those cooks at the egg station ......

you sound like a really painful customer what with no toothbrush & no scrambled eggs for breaky.  

sounds like word got out the minute you checked in .....      Lol

Great analysis.  

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Most people pack their toothbrushes with their underwear. Amenity kits are just an underused cost; thus in lean times, one that can be relegated to 'only on request.' Just good management when skating on the edge of bankruptcy. Back when United Airlines was on lean times, amentity kits were only by request in business class, i.e., no longer sitting in every seat. Frills are the first to go. (Very few were requested, surprisingly to me. But the wife, a stew, witnessed it.)

The lean times with the airlines was not about reducing the costs of amenity kits but to reduce the weight of the aircraft in order to save fuel costs.

I can't recall what airlines but one of them saved on fuel costs just by removing a single olive from their salads. Another found that removing some magazines from the seatbacks would also save fuel costs.

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

First you probably paid too much. Look on TripAdvisor or other comparison site and then at the Agoda rate or best other rate. 4000 baht is a lot. I am staying at a hotel 4 to 4 and a half star that is fantastic on beach with big buffet for significantly less than half. Huge room. Outlook to sea. Gym. Boxing. Jacuzzi on balcony. Worth planning ahead. 
This hotel has slippers and dressing gown and free snack bar but no tooth brush. I don’t tend to expect a free toothbrush or see it as a thing to want or necessarily expect. If they said you get it then ok but they are normally not as good as a proper tooth brush so no big deal.
The problem with buffet is that at this time you should stay in busier hotels as they can have a decent full buffet. Smaller or quieter hotels may not have full buffet or will just give you a la carte. Service may not be as good. Tourism is way down.
My hotel has nice fresh yoghurt that isnt sweet in a bowl that is covered. Good yoghurt is important not individual serve. I judge buffet on quality. Do they have decent bread, muesli, decent salads and cooked meals. 
Bar hotel  prices are always a bit high except happy hour. Hotel may be quiet and this may affect service and range.  I go to local store and buy though that may not be your cup of tea. 

Where is the beach in Chiang Mai?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought LM right away, but would be surprised to hear them falling short even during these times. They’re typically professional enough to not carry issues to other areas if customer was off with them. Not to denigrate op, but negative things often happen when you expect them. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Where is the beach in Chiang Mai?

Saying that in the low season with low tourists 4000 baht seems high. Chiang Mai tends not to be that expensive and I am comparing it to a hotel on a beach with 4 pools on an island that one might think might be relatively expensive. The reference to checking on TripAdvisor might seem obvious but for some reason now the range of prices between say Agoda and Hotels.com can be huge. 

I think there is a well known  psychological phenomenon of drivers, male drivers in particular having an unbalanced ego and emotional investment in their driving  skills and undergo a personality  change when in their venting feeling of anger, rage and superiority inside the car when driving in a way they would not behave outside of their car. I think this phenomenon  is at play here combined  with many foreigners' feeling of racial  superiority and barely concealed contempt  for Thais. I travel round cities  and all round Thailand so I put my life in my drivers' hand. I do not hesitate  to do do because I trust them. I feel safe. But the point the  OP is making with which I wholeheartedly agree is that foreigners  are blind to their own faults and often dreadful drivers but constantly  criticise Thais.  Foreigners are not better drivers than Thais they just think  they.

• Like 1

I would say that the OP has grounds for complaint.  I have never had the 'pleasure' of staying in 'high-end' Thai hotel, but even 3 Star hotels in Singapore do much better than this.

It might have been more productive o complain in person to the Hotel manager.

1 minute ago, Robin said:

I would say that the OP has grounds for complaint.  I have never had the 'pleasure' of staying in 'high-end' Thai hotel, but even 3 Star hotels in Singapore do much better than this.

It might have been more productive o complain in person to the Hotel manager.

The manager was not available.  Initially the manager of dining services was not available as well.  Before checkout the dining manager called me and actually listened to my complaint.  

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

I think there is a well known  psychological phenomenon of drivers, male drivers in particular having an unbalanced ego and emotional investment in their driving  skills and undergo a personality  change when in their venting feeling of anger, rage and superiority inside the car when driving in a way they would not behave outside of their car. I think this phenomenon  is at play here combined  with many foreigners' feeling of racial  superiority and barely concealed contempt  for Thais. I travel round cities  and all round Thailand so I put my life in my drivers' hand. I do not hesitate  to do do because I trust them. I feel safe. But the point the  OP is making with which I wholeheartedly agree is that foreigners  are blind to their own faults and often dreadful drivers but constantly  criticise Thais.  Foreigners are not better drivers than Thais they just think  they.

Wrong thread perhaps?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

AN is like an open therapy session...every thread is open to rant ????

I think it would add to the forum if each person posting a reply to a thread actually posts that reply to any other thread on the forum.

Now that would be interesting. ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I think it would add to the forum if each person posting a reply to a thread actually posts that reply to any other thread on the forum.

Now that would be interesting. ????

Haha..yeah...it wont go any more crazier than it is ....

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

There is a Pantip Plaza in Chiang Mai

Yes, I walked there the other day from the Shangri -la hotel.

Anyway, I stay in 5 stars in Bangkok seems they are cutting out some of these amenities now.