Burger King strikes out with Pride Whopper Fiasco -- "Two Top or Two Bottom Buns"

I kind of get why someone working there thought this a funny and clever idea, but it was a case of think harder and longer. 

Burger King 'Pride Whopper' Slammed as 'Tone Deaf' (entrepreneur.com)

Choose two top buns or two bottom buns. Come again?

Two tops and two bottoms isn't so filling and satisfying for many gay couples and I can understand some people thinking it's vulgar to think about anal sex while eating a burger. Plus of course the conflation of Gay Pride with anal sex.  Not that there is anything wrong with anal sex but it doesn't at all define everything about gay people, gay culture, and gay sex. Also a not very inclusive to other alphabet people letters.

Austria only. Not in Thailand. Not in Russia. 

As dumb as this is, at least they tried something.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

@Jingthing

I get a crying emoticon, does that mean you disagree ? I'm basically stating almost the same as you do. Saying its a stupid action. 

Normally I don't care but those emoticons mess me up sometimes, usually it means someone does not like a post but in this case i don't see how that is possible as we both seem to agree this is a stupid action.

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Woke gone too far. Some things are just plain stupid and do damage to the cause.

Nobody that the anti woke people thinks are woke identifies as woke anymore. Woke is just a right wing attack word now  its original meaning is gone.

In any case this was really a case of the corporatization of Pride gone wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

Offered the choice, I'd probably put my whopper between two tops. Although two bottoms could be fun, too.

As tops and bottoms are indeed sexual terms I suppose the no action implications of two tops or two bottoms changes if you add a third person The eater? Not exactly unheard of.

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

...so then don't think about anal sex when eating a burger....?

Could do but its a Gay Pride Whopper and tops and bottoms are unambiguous non coded terms for the active and passive roles in anal sex. You knew that already right?

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

It is just a "tongue in cheek advert about buns"!  

Agreed it was an attempt at humor. I acknowledged that before. It is funny but for ha ha funny it's a little scratch that a lot off for a  corporate Pride promotion. 

Tongues huh? Well that's a good start anyway.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nobody that the anti woke people thinks are woke identify as woke anymore. Woke is just a right wing attack word now  its original meaning is gone.

In any case this was really a case of the corporatization of Pride gone wrong.

Sorry for not keeping up with the times i thought it was still a thing. I like all those inclusive things just that they go to far at times. Like putting black people in a European historical setting (Romans) and presenting it like it was that way. It would be the same like having a white guy play Martin Luther King and stuff like that (bit exaggerated of course). 

Works of fiction excluded of course. I consider myself as far from right wing as one can be and all for equal rights. But some actions just do damage to the cause whatever its called currently. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

It has to do with 2 of the same being together.

Why is the OP thinking about anal sex? Is he/she a gay looking to get upset at non-events? 

Its about anal sex.

Dare you to google tops and bottoms image search.

I love when people say a gay. So quaint. I am not at all upset about this  Sorry if you got that wrong impression.

I posted it because it was funny  Both the ad campaign and Burger King's misfire.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Sorry for not keeping up with the times i thought it was still a thing. I like all those inclusive things just that they go to far at times. Like putting black people in a European historical setting (Romans) and presenting it like it was that way. It would be the same like having a white guy play Martin Luther King and stuff like that (bit exaggerated of course). 

Works of fiction excluded of course. I consider myself as far from right wing as one can be and all for equal rights. But some actions just do damage to the cause whatever its called currently. 

like having a white guy play Martin Luther King

????????????????

Would love to see that, it would be as stupid as casting a black actress to play Anne Boleyn. ????

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

I need another debate about how the word  woke has been hijacked and  weaponized by the right wing like a hole in the head.

Also this is not a topic about diverse  casting in shows.

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

How can one stop thinking of making love to my granny when I'm ironing my wrinkled shirts?

TMI

That one is on you mate.

Is Arrow shirts doing an ad campaign alluding to intergenerational incestual sex acts with babushkas?

I thought not.

Get the difference?

Edited by Jingthing

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Like putting black people in a European historical setting (Romans) and presenting it like it was that way. It would be the same like having a white guy play Martin Luther King and stuff like that (bit exaggerated of course). 

It only works one direction I'm afraid. They'd love to have a black woman playing James Bond, but try using a white guy to play The Black Panther from Marvel and all hell would break loose. They're fine with black women straightening their hair, but show them a white guy with dreadlocks and it's "cultural appropriation" ????. Gotta love the Wokies and their double standards.

As for this Pride whopper, I don't see the harm. Surely it's about 2 men or 2 women being together. Not anal sex. I mean, does a regular burger with different buns represent hetero sex? They try and do something to show support for LGBT and LGBT get all outraged by it. They shouldn't have wasted their time. Some people just love to be offended, it's like a hobby for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

The part  that I find hard to 'digest' is that Austrians actually have a sense of humour...

Funny.

Well they haven't canceled it there but the article doesn't go into details about the Austrian response.

What would Conchita Wurst think?

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not sure how many non gay people will get this but maybe next year they can do a Pride Versatile Burger. You pick it up and the top bun automatically flips over.

Maybe they could have a hot dog with 2 sausages. Call it the Frot Dog ????.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Dare you to google tops and bottoms image search.

Yes, I'm well aware what top and bottom mean in regards to sex. 

Putting on a top or bottoms is about get dressed, not gay anal sex.

Like wise, having two of the same buns on the top and bottom of a burger is about two of the same coming together as one. Not anal sex.

Do you think pride month is only about those with willies? How bigoted of you. How dare you disregard lesbians and other non-males in such a disrespectful manner. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Yes, I'm well aware what top and bottom mean in regards to sex. 

Putting on a top or bottoms is about get dressed, not gay anal sex.

Like wise, having two of the same buns on the top and bottom of a burger is about two of the same coming together as one. Not anal sex.

Do you think pride month is only about those with willies? How bigoted of you. How dare you disregard lesbians and other non-males in such a disrespectful manner. 

That post is funnier than this entire Pride Whopper fiasco! Like you're in denial the campaign clearly alludes to roles in anal sex. So it's about clothing is it? Thanks for the yucks buddy

Also you clearly didn't even read the OP..

.... Plus of course the conflation of Gay Pride with anal sex.  Not that there is anything wrong with anal sex but it doesn't at all define everything about gay people, gay culture, and gay sex. Also a not very inclusive to other alphabet people letters.

Look, if you're earnestly calling me a bigot and not just taking the <deleted> as I suspect, that's fine. Go ahead and think that.

Edited by Jingthing