What a mess! Pattaya's hanging wires are dangerous and bad memories tourists will take home with them

webfact

9 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Grr. There thick cables on top. Those are for electricity, and they're stable. 

The lose - hanging cables below are for communications, and they belong to the communications companies (True, 3 BB, AIS or whatever company you use for TV or WiFi) 

The thick cables on top are high voltage, they feed the transformers, to convert to 230 volts for general use, you will see transformers up the same posts at intervals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Koh Chang what a smelly, rubbish-pile loaded dump. Has to have some of the most polluted, and worst so called 'beaches' in all of Asia.

I haven't been for a while and thought the beaches were not bad... although I rented a motorcycle and went all over and saw a few dumps etc which dispelled the tropical paradise image.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, champers said:

Works are ongoing in Pattaya, since pre-Covid times, to remedy this problem by removing all this mess and lay cables underground. Pattaya Nua/North Rd and Klang are just a couple of many examples. 

Is progress a bit slow? Yes, but it is progress nonetheless.

Please accept my fulsome apology for introducing facts into another Thai - bashing thread.

All they have done in Khao Noi and Talo is tidy them up a bit. Still ongoing and still a mess. After a few days you forget which ones they tidied up ????

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

All they have done in Khao Noi and Talo is tidy them up a bit. Still ongoing and still a mess. After a few days you forget which ones they tidied up ????

These decided to tidy themselves up....????

Fire.jpg.2880c699af8c2c561147f6c6a05f9a62.jpg

• Haha 2

On 6/9/2022 at 9:33 AM, Farmerslife said:

Furthermore, it is a hell of lot easier just to attach a new cable than attempt to unravel the existing lines and remove those being replaced or superceded. It is a nationwide problem. 

I can't see it changing anytime soon, though resolving it would present a tremendous business opportunity for some enterprising company . 

When I applied for a (landline) telephone for my house in Sth Pattaya I told the TOT telephone office (cnr., of Third Rd ana Pattaya Klang Rd) that there was already a TOT line to the house and ready inside the house to plug in a telephone. We told TOT we were aware the line worked because we had established the seller of the house had called us from the house when we discussed buying the house.

We asked the TOT if they could please use the same/existing cable. And we asked if it was possible to transfer the existing number to our name.

TOT staff totally negative to both points. We were told that this would break the TOT regulations and a new cable had to be fitted from the telephone exchange to our house (about 3 km.). Plus it would be several months before TOT did a project to hang multiple new telephone cables from the exchange to near our village. In fact it was 2 years.

We asked 'will the old cable be removed? Response 'No, what for.' In fact many houses had multiple old cables fitted/hanging all over the place.

About 15 years ago a guy from Switzerland and his Thai wife bought about 25 x 2 storey townhouses in this village, aiming to renovate them and resell. They approached all the owners offering to totally pay for a project to renew all the internal soi roads and to remove all the existing cables and replace them with 1 jointcable to each house to provide both cable TV and telephone connections (plus renew all the electric cables to all the houses with less intrusive set up).

Ninety+ % of the owners agreed.

The Swiss guy appraoched Pattaya City Council and TOT, emphasising that he would pay all costs.

Both agencies said NO, and informed him they would not enter any further discussions.

This village is now 35+ years old and the mess of cables inside the village is similar to the photos others have shared.