What a mess! Pattaya's hanging wires are dangerous and bad memories tourists will take home with them

webfact

17 hours ago, champers said:

Klang's pavements are dire, I agree. I think that during Covid a variety of factors have slowed progress: labour shortages ( many foreign workers went home), shortage of funds and part of the budget being diverted to such projects as handing out food parcels and managing Covid testing and vaccinations.

Hopefully the pace of progress will speed up, maybe prompted by the new mayor ... or maybe not.

I had heard of some 'dispute' with the contractor being the reason..... a similar scene on Walking St, where some pavement blocks were set, and now work appears to have just stopped. This is very common here in Thailand, roads get dug up, trenches dug, and then work appears to stop for months,  leaving a dangerous inconvenient mess..... I was told it is often work crews are not available, and each part of a job is a different crew, or the bits they need are not available. (Planning is bad?)

I have watched this on a drainage project near my home, and the never ending work on The Railway Line Bypass. 

The tragedy, they dug up Walking St and turned it into Beirut, and two years later, as tourists return, it appears a second explosion occurred. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

they probably don't even notice it. it seems to be only whiny "fallung" that get upset about this kind of stuff because they think their home countries are perfect. The West is the Best and all the other neo-colonialisms.

There are safety considerations in many falang countries, which are less a concern here. The road surface currently being used on the Railway Line Bypass Rd, (Southbound, North of Siam CC) is very dangerous. It has been gouged out by heavy construction vehicles. 

I am afraid the West does generally do it better. Being in denial is fine until one lies bloodied in a deep ditch!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In this instance , Western Countries are better at wire management .

Maybe if Thais complained more about the ugly wires , then the authorities might to something to fix the issue ?

Yes , but we pay prob about 4 times more for electric ( per kWh used) and 2 times more for internet . Electric bill in my Western EU country now , 2 months ago new contract , +/-2000 euro ( exch rate 36 means 72000 baht) for 4000 kWh , so thats 333 kWh/m . In Thailand i pay for same amount of electric +/-1600 baht/m or 20.000 baht .

Pls stop complaining ... you want premium high end everything , you will pay for premium high end . It comes with a lot of other stuff also like rules and regulations and paperwork where you do not find front or back of it all .

You all now why you came to Thailand . Being a premium high end destination was not it . You could have stayed in your Western country also .There is a word  which says , you pay peanuts you get monkeys ...  Don't like it go back to your Western country ... I did just came back after 2.5y absence due to covid , and OMG i know again why i went there so many times before and was building something there for later .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Don't change them it gives us all a good laugh.

The silly side of it is, I expect 80% of these cables carry no signals of use...... just remnants of the past. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sezze said:

Yes , but we pay prob about 4 times more for electric ( per kWh used) and 2 times more for internet . Electric bill in my Western EU country now , 2 months ago new contract , +/-2000 euro ( exch rate 36 means 72000 baht) for 4000 kWh , so thats 333 kWh/m . In Thailand i pay for same amount of electric +/-1600 baht/m or 20.000 baht .

Pls stop complaining ... you want premium high end everything , you will pay for premium high end . It comes with a lot of other stuff also like rules and regulations and paperwork where you do not find front or back of it all .

You all now why you came to Thailand . Being a premium high end destination was not it . You could have stayed in your Western country also .There is a word  which says , you pay peanuts you get monkeys ...  Don't like it go back to your Western country ... I did just came back after 2.5y absence due to covid , and OMG i know again why i went there so many times before and was building something there for later .

I am back in the U.K .

16 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

it's pointless to bang on and on and on about all the allegedly bad stuff that happens here in Thailand. you're flogging a horse that's been long dead and is now ground into the pavement. nothing will change as a result of your complaint and it only serves to show that you lost The Game. 

articles like this are just clickbait. they know it will bring out the usual suspects with their tired old tropes. the more clicks the more ad revenue.

Who are you? Suggest if you want to be forum police, apply to be a mod. This is primarily a Thai article published on a Thai media source (with predominantly Thai people complaining) posted by a long standing ASEAN Now admin.

I don’t see people banging on about all the negatives (which gets my heckles up), more commenting on the article at hand. It IS a disgrace, it IS an eye sore and yet the powers that be continue to talk the place up as if it is world class. Let them comment and complain; it’s the only way stuff gets done. Only thing worse than farangs continually bringing down Thailand with negative tat is Thaier than Thai types that feel the need to perpetually defend the indefensible.  

• Like 2

On 6/9/2022 at 8:40 AM, Clutch said:

My bedroom window, 4 feet from where I sleep,  I'm highly wired. 

20220609_083609.jpg

you must save a fortune in lighting the way fluorescents light up from the electric flux that encompasses that lot

On 6/9/2022 at 12:30 PM, transam said:

Wiring in the UK was better than Pattaya's a hundred years ago.

The people responsible should be sacked.

I worked on electric mains in London over half a century back, not a cable to be seen......????

You don't have Monsoon in London, do you? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/9/2022 at 11:55 AM, jacko45k said:

Is that Koh Larn or Koh Chang?

I was being cynical by the way. 

Koh Chang what a smelly, rubbish-pile loaded dump. Has to have some of the most polluted, and worst so called 'beaches' in all of Asia.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:33 AM, Farmerslife said:

Furthermore, it is a hell of lot easier just to attach a new cable than attempt to unravel the existing lines and remove those being replaced or superceded. It is a nationwide problem. 

Unfortunately, those communications company employees who are tasked with installing new cables cannot do anything about existing cables, whether they're in use or disused, if they were not installed by their company.   Many existing cables will be the property of other comms providers.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 6/9/2022 at 12:30 PM, transam said:

Wiring in the UK was better than Pattaya's a hundred years ago.

The people responsible should be sacked.

I worked on electric mains in London over half a century back, not a cable to be seen......????

The cables in question are not, in the main (so to speak), electric cables, Trans.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, champers said:

Please accept my fulsome apology for introducing facts into another Thai - bashing thread.

The FACTS are that there is a mess of cables all over the country, some of which become loose and kill or injure motorcyclists. Burying them in a few places in a few cities might solve 0.5% of the problem though, I agree. It will take many decades to clear the problem that should never have been allowed to develop in the first place.

Meanwhile, look at videos or photos of other cities around the world and compare. Thailand #1 in cable mess.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, micmichd said:

You don't have Monsoon in London, do you? 

Monsoon is a big word for a lot of rain in some climates, but I can assure you that  London and its surrounding areas can and does flood on occasions, but London has spent a lot of money to control it over the years..  ????

And remember, 99% of London's electricity supply is underground, water or no water, it usually works fine as transformers are not stuck up a lamp post, they have their own weee residence........????

substation.jpg.c003fed93173a0bd3b13d30df67f01ba.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nah, it's communications cables!

Grr. There thick cables on top. Those are for electricity, and they're stable. 

The lose - hanging cables below are for communications, and they belong to the communications companies (True, 3 BB, AIS or whatever company you use for TV or WiFi) 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Monsoon is a big word for a lot of rain in some climates, but I can assure you that  London and its surrounding areas can and does flood on occasions, but London has spent a lot of money to control it over the years..  ????

And remember, 99% of London's electricity supply is underground, water or no water, it usually works fine as transformers are not stuck up a lamp post, they have their own weee residence........????

substation.jpg.c003fed93173a0bd3b13d30df67f01ba.jpg

Electricity may be fine but I had serious problems with WiFi back home in the occasionally flooded German village which once was my home. Because for connecting a WiFi router you need these comm cables, and they don't work under water. 

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The cables in question are not, in the main (so to speak), electric cables, Trans.

About a month back we had a lightning strike on the post outside our house, the post has 5 meters on it. So 5 houses have their individual feed wires from outside my place, that is a lot of wires hanging up there, plus the Internet wires.

Anyhooo, my meter was trashed, the lightning hit my electric wire feeds and sent them to the ground..

PS. If a house needs more power, they usually run another wire/cable to bolster it. 

In UK,  house feeds come from a huge underground cable, which is about 4 inches in diameter, has 3 live cores and one neutral, the lead sheath and armour are used for the earth, it takes about half a day to connect a house, which itself has an underground cable. But it may well have all changed now, but for sure, the copper/aluminium cables that were planted a zillion years back, are still doing their job... ????