Cabinet divisions break out over U.K. plan to override Brexit treaty

onthedarkside

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He got Brexit done . 

Thats all we wanted 

No ones really bothered about the Irish border or even Irish unification 

I imagine that, as a minimum, those living on the island of Ireland have a passing interest in matters plus the Irish diaspora which includes a lot of influencal US politicians. Best to keep on their good side as we'll need to suck up to them shortly.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

well well, how this doesn't come as a surprise from the treacherous Boris ????

the EU is laughing, and maybe a possible full embargo would eventually calm down Boris and his silly ambitions ????

Way to go! 

A full embargo!

On the other hand, perhaps the " butterflies" have their hands full trying to persuade their partners to cave in to Russia over Ukraine?

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So answer me this then.

Why are members of the Tory Government arguing against their own PM that his plan to unilaterally break the NI protocol is a plan to break international law?

I suspect they are looking at the law, not misinformation from the rightwing press, but of course you might have evidence to the contrary.

Could be a number of reasons.

1. Pro EU

2. Anti Boris

3. Anti Brexit

4. Views on a united Ireland

It's politics. Not all Conservatives like Boris (see the recent no confidence vote) and not all wanted to leave the EU (Theresa May and her BRINO machinations are a good example of this). Some are quite happy with the protocol as it fits with their aims of separating NI from the rest of the UK. Many of these will claim international law is being broken as it suits their agendas. However, it is not - due to article 16.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its more that those dreaming of the empire are now understanding its not going to happen and need to keep stoking the fire of discontent to justify their decision to break away. 

Anyone still believing BJ and believing that what he said about Brexit was right have serious problems. I mean party gate shows how liberal the guy is with the truth.

Nobody is talking of Empire Rob, except maybe you and your extreme views on The British.

Believing Boris Johnson sometimes tells lies and believing that Britain is better out of the EU federalist project is not mutually exclusive. Most voters knew that both sides in 2016 were exaggerating the benefits/drawbacks of leaving the EU and made their own mind up.

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

You forgot the real reason.. its breaking an international treaty. If you think the EU would just let this slide then you are crazy. This will hurt the UK more then the EU. 

Slowly but surely your Great Britain will disintegrate. (Ireland gone, Scotland gone)

1. Please read about article 16 in my post above. Unilateral action is allowed.

2. The EU will do nothing of significance.

3. Ireland is not part of Great Britain. Maybe you are thinking of the UK?  ????
4. Scotland is going nowhere. Scottish Independence is dead. They voted to stay.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

So its ok for you to make stupid comments about teenage girls sulking but when i make a joke about an empire its suddenly serious. Talk about double standards. Its poking fun, just like you did.

I was comparing the EU to a sulking teenage girl that had been dumped by her boyfriend. A perfectly reasonable analogy given their behaviour.

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I was comparing the EU to a sulking teenage girl that had been dumped by her boyfriend. A perfectly reasonable analogy given their behaviour.

EU more like that Walliams’  flouncing aggressive gay PM PA character in “ Little Britain” ????????????????????

Edited by TropicalGuy
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TropicalGuy said:

Rees -Mogg speaks Clear Rational Truth . Smartest Guy in the Room. Should be and perhaps will be PM. Will go with his views every time against various bitter & twisted petulant false anti- UK <deleted> narratives????????

NI a Massive Financial Drain on UK.Demographics will eventually see it join Ireland. 

I’m not sure being ‘the smartest guy in the room’ is much of an accolade, given the ‘room’ is Johnson’s Government.

Are you missing the point that the NI unionist tail is wagging the Tory dog?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And right now they are all experiencing the downside consequences.

Except that is, those in NI who are enjoying the benefits of continuing un-interrupted trade with the EU via the NI/SI open border, with the result that the NI economy is outstripping that of the rest of the UK.

So much for negative consequences of the NI protocol - there are none, they don’t exist.

There are no downsides. UK well rid of Protectionist Federal Failed EU. UK Covid & Ukraine Response alone proves that.

EU IS Deliberately & Petulantly applying Excessive Unnecessary Customs Checks, Disrupting internal UK Trade. Clear FACT established by Statistics. 20% ALL such EU Checks are between GB & NI. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

And i was taking a pot shot at the ancient thinking of Brexiteers linking it to the empire. You ultra conservative living in the past. Perfectly reasonable too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

There are no downsides. UK well rid of Protectionist Federal Failed EU. UK Covid & Ukraine Response alone proves that.

EU IS Deliberately & Petulantly applying Excessive Unnecessary Customs Checks, Disrupting internal UK Trade. Clear FACT established by Statistics. 20% ALL such EU Checks are between GB & NI. 

Where are these checks taking place? Who’s making these checks?

Trade between the UK and NI is direct, it doesn’t go through EU territory.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure being ‘the smartest guy in the room’ is much of an accolade, given the ‘room’ is Johnson’s Government.

Are you missing the point that the NI unionist tail is wagging the Tory dog?

Unionists are understandably Politicking against Protocol & IRA but Bad EU responsible too.

Both Solved by dissolving (all) UK Devolved Parliaments & legally ditching NI Protocol. Let these disparate people argue in NI etc. local council & institution chambers not at national level.