Alibaba - Tax or FedEx Workaround?

carlyai

I bought from a supplier on Alibaba.

The fees charged for transportation and taxation seem excessive, when with the correct paperwork items from China should be tax free (except for VAT I think). 

Also FedEx transportation rates seem expensive.

I tried to buy the unit from the supplier before trying Alibaba but they would only deal with a Wholesaler.

When buying from Alibaba, do you just 'suck it up' or can you complete paperwork for tax free status and can you stipulate another carrier?

When buying things on Lazada, that come from China the tax and transportation cost seem a lot less.

I know when I was buying garage doors from China, I could get them tax exempt with the required forms, so why not Alibaba?

I don't know the answer, that's why I'm asking.

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

with the correct paperwork

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

with the required forms

This is your problem I believe. If the volume is small the cost of the paperwork may not be worth it to the vendor. 

If this will be repeat business , how about an import agent like Ionic?

• Like 2

Is there anything behind "Tax Details"?

Pretty well everything will attract 7% VAT on CIF + duty (if any is charged).

You can check the duty rates here https://www.simplyduty.com/ not everything from China is zero duty.

You could ask the seller if they can do "Thailand Special Line", it's slower but is duty (and VAT) paid, it lumps many shipments together for a bulk clearance and it usually works out cheaper than paying individually. Not all sellers know about it or will use it.

• Like 1

Items small enough is best sent with China Post. It can take some time but much cheaper than Fedex or similar service. If small enough parcel it can slip through without any tax.

• Like 2