Bitcoin going well

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm on about crypto being possibly suitable for young gamblers, not septagenarians. Calling it an investment is a bridge too far. I'm also on about fitting facts to suit a hypothesis, when it should be vice versa.

Btc is ok for trading. I prefer stocks for the simple reason valuations are much easier.

Fund managers look at 3 main things

1 dcf valuation

2 pe

3 yield

Btc has none of that.

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm on about crypto being possibly suitable for young gamblers, not septagenarians. Calling it an investment is a bridge too far. I'm also on about fitting facts to suit a hypothesis, when it should be vice versa.

I still don't know what you are talking about - "crypto is not an investment". Of course it is. It is obvious you are just here to argue against crypto.  

5 hours ago, marin said:

Houses are not going down. Bitcoin is that you have going up. Very strange poster.

30year loans in US now over 6%. A few weeks ago it was 3,XX% for 30 years.

Saw a forecast for someone paying 1200$ now, going up to 1950$

For those, who bought super inflated and now having to fork out much higher repayments.

Just wait and see a sharp correction.

Edited by RafPinto
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RafPinto said:

30year loans in US not over 6%. A few weeks ago it was 3,XX% for 30 years.

Saw a forecast for someone paying 1200$ not, going up to 1950$

For those, who bought super inflated and now having to fork out much higher repayments.

Just wait and see a sharp correction.

10% fall predicted in some areas.

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I dont see crash but a bear mkt

Fed might raise rates 0.75

Vix is signalling the market is going to rally after fed, whether it sells off after or continues up, will have to see. 

If Fed hikes 75bp the markets will rally as oil and 10 yr yield will roll over. 

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I still don't know what you are talking about - "crypto is not an investment". Of course it is. It is obvious you are just here to argue against crypto.  

" Of course it is." My congratulations, one of the finest examples of begging the question I have ever seen on ASEAN threads. Look the term up if you don't know what it means.

An investment appreciates in value, and generates income from the capital. I can't see how crypto qualifies on either attribute, it's like watching a yo-yo.

It's people choice as to whether they want to put their money into crypto. I'm too old to understand it, and Rule #1 of investing is never invest in something you don't understand. That's assuming crypto is an investment, it does not meet any of the usual criteria.

I notice the poster Pravda, who started his own thread about putting $200,000 into crypto, seems to have gone very quiet lately.

Why the indignation? You only want people on threads who share your opinion?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's an unrealised loss, you can't ignore it, it's real, of course it may recover, or not

Of course you can ignore it unless you need to sell.

If you buy 10 cryptos say $100 each. They are down 50% what does it matter?

Say in 5 years they are up 1000% it does not matter either unless you sell.

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Gold going down too

The good thing about investing in gold, it doesnt take away the sleep if its going up or down, its a “reserve” and a long term investment. And I will not realize my gold or silver for  many years if I ever do. Thats my insurance. 

There is no hype avout gold, and do not need any hype to continue to be a safe haven asset.

BTC is a hype, and feeds on the hype over and over again and again until ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

how does that work when the current value is $21k?

That's always been one of my favorite amateur sayings:

"You haven't lost if you haven't sold"

I'm sure that gives great comfort to folks still long Pets.com  It also reminds me of the Japanese accounting system for pension funds, where they actually carry positions at higher of cost or market. Lots of them are still holding positions at Nikkei 38,915.87

We had a saying on the street that is infinitely more useful:

"A paper gain is a paper gain, but a paper loss is real money"

I'm always waiting for a crypto fan to explain why something like btc has to go back up. Why? What fundamentals does it have that would make it likely to rise again? I really don't have a clue and would like somebody to explain, other than just give some pie-in-the-sky answer how it's the future, or 'like the internet' or whatever. Why should it go to $70K and not $70?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

" Of course it is." My congratulations, one of the finest examples of begging the question I have ever seen on ASEAN threads. Look the term up if you don't know what it means.

An investment appreciates in value, and generates income from the capital. I can't see how crypto qualifies on either attribute, it's like watching a yo-yo.

It's people choice as to whether they want to put their money into crypto. I'm too old to understand it, and Rule #1 of investing is never invest in something you don't understand. That's assuming crypto is an investment, it does not meet any of the usual criteria.

I notice the poster Pravda, who started his own thread about putting $200,000 into crypto, seems to have gone very quiet lately.

Why the indignation? You only want people on threads who share your opinion?

No indignation here, I'm just confused as why you replied to me. You seem to want to criticize crypto, and I'm not wanting any debate about if it's a good investment or not, especially from someone who says he doesn't understand it.  

Bitcoin was $3.5k just over 2 years ago and the usual haters are making a fool of themselves again. 

If you don't understand bitcoin, why are you so negative and hateful about it?

Is it because you missed out buying it and are self-righteously trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision to not buy BTC 10 years ago or even 5 years ago when it was $1-2k. 

There is a worldwide recession coming and I know what I want to be holding in the coming years.  

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'm still waiting for tulip bulbs to come back so I can jump on them.  I hope I get in on time...

And, more importantly, get out on time.

It have been many “tulip bulbs” since then, and we should at least have learned something by now, but humanity continue on the same track as always. Holy ghosts Smoke gold and myrra

35 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Bitcoin was $3.5k just over 2 years ago and the usual haters are making a fool of themselves again. 

Is it because you missed out buying it and are self-righteously trying to convince yourself that you made the right decision to not buy BTC 10 years ago or even 5 years ago when it was $1-2k. 

There is a worldwide recession coming and I know what I want to be holding in the coming years.  

We just want a fair  and earnest statement from all of crypto fans to admit, crypto is risky and  stupid placements, but you can if lucky and lucky enough to make a fortune if you get in at the right time and out at the right time. We also would love to hear, BTC can collapse any time, but we still want to play the game and hope it survive a bit longer than it should. 

Last a confession that BTC is not really worth anything and we do not know who created BTC and why he/them/they created BTC and released it anonymously with a pseudonym 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

With the cost of a bitcoin transaction being $100 of electricity, how can it not fail?  If not today, how about when it's 100% subscribed, and they can't award new "coin" to compensate the "miners" who use their electricity and their computing resources to facilitate the blockchain transactions?  At the very least, they'll have to issue more Bitcoin, diluting what's already out there.

https://fortune.com/2021/10/26/bitcoin-electricity-consumption-carbon-footprin/

Remember when Bitcoin was held out as a new and zoomy way to buy your morning coffee?  Imagine Starbucks at $105 instead of $5.  And that's before soaring energy prices.

I'd add that I had a lot of family that lost everything in the Enron debacle.  So I'm wary of schemes that don't make business sense.  And Bitcoin doesn't.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2