Majority of ASEAN NOW expat viewers want to remain in Thailand

webfact

10 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

I can see moving to another country because you visited and enjoyed it.

After six or more months living like a monk and working long hours  in the Middle East, a few weeks in Thailand was some hedonistic fantasy in paradise. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Ill health is a concern. Medical services are often expensive here and most retirees hail from places where it is supplied free. 

I'm flying back to the states where I have Medicare plus additional health insurance for cataract surgery in both eyes. In Thailand, out of pocket is 200,000 baht, same exact surgery out of pocket in US will be around 10,000 baht.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Ill health is a concern. Medical services are often expensive here and most retirees hail from places where it is supplied free. 

Not for me, In America a person can't afford insurance and can't afford not to have insurance. I know people paying 1500 dollars a month for insurance. I couldn't afford to live there anymore, and wouldn't want to leave here anyway. Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" since it's only been a year that I'm here but can't see myself leaving.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tedly said:

Not for me, In America a person can't afford insurance and can't afford not to have insurance. I know people paying 1500 dollars a month for insurance. I couldn't afford to live there anymore, and wouldn't want to leave here anyway. Maybe I'm still in the "honeymoon phase" since it's only been a year that I'm here but can't see myself leaving.

America is a place where fortunes can be made if you have your bun screwed on correctly, here your savings will quickly diminish especially if you have a thai gf.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Why would anyone leave? Great weather here, living costs 30% of the West, young female company.

Don't know who said it but these are sexpats and we don't want them to stay here. Obviously, young women don't want to spend time with retired farang, so they are doing it for money, ie prostitution, which is illegal. 

39 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm flying back to the states where I have Medicare plus additional health insurance for cataract surgery in both eyes. In Thailand, out of pocket is 200,000 baht, same exact surgery out of pocket in US will be around 10,000 baht.

Do you mean your 2 insurances are paying for most of the surgery HappyExpat57 ?

If so --why quote one price here-that has no insurance 200K against a price that has insurance 10K.

Anyway--best of luck, you may want to look at medical lens that will allow you not to have to ever wear glasses again

I had it done here about 15 years ago, and can still pick up any newspaper etc & have no problem reading it.

The lenses are made in Texas, but your insurance wont cover for them, as they class them as a cosmetic enhancement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

That's very good to know. I've lived here for 8 years and so far have had no need of medical care beyond the very minor. But I've always suspected that a doctor would not 'leave you to die' if you don't have sufficient money as many people seem to think. Indeed a doctor is compelled to treat you by the Hippocratic oath (or at least its modern equivalent) that they all swear.

I live here on an adequate pension, but it would be totally unrealistic for me to return to the UK in order to receive 'free' medical care. I have no home or family there and my pension would not even cover the basics. And in the mean time, what does my wife live on?

So I'm here for the duration and the fact that there is no way that I could ever afford. or even be offered insurance, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Just keep as fit and as healthy as one can and don't worry about it.

I'm not a religious person at all, but I do like this little ditty from Jesus. ''Can any of you, by worrying, add a single hour to your life?''

My own little ditty goes like this: ''He worried himself sick because he couldn't get medical insurance''.

I have had prostate trouble for years and it wasn't getting any better so I went to a large public hospital in Chiang Mai and the doctor said if I had my prostate taken out it would cost so much and if I didn't have the money the monthly payments would be so much. Thailand has a heart all thro many can't see it. And as far as Jesus goes give him a chance as he is always in my heart.

• Thanks 1

Turning 80 and I have loved living in Thailand for 30 years. Nowhere on the planet compares with the comfortable lifestyle in Thailand. 

The majority of my expat friends have returned to their county of origin. The primary reason being that they wish to see their grandkids grow up, graduate and marry. 

I am selling my condo here and will rent. The prospect of my Executor having to liquidate my assets in Thailand, as history and experience shows, is a mission impossible. Therefore, I will sell now and rent, get my money out of Thailand, stay here and live happily ever after. ????

• Thanks 1

Well I live in France and I don't get FREE health benefits.  I have to pay 76 euros per month to a Mutuelle to make sure that when I have anything medical I don't have to hand  out  anything.  Although when I got to doctor, I do have to pay -but it is refunded.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Then you presumably have obtained some form of residency or worked in Thailand? I agree what you quote is great, but it is not readily available to most retirees in Thailand.

Yes correct,been here since 1998,only just acquired my Thai ID during COVID19, now 30thb a go!

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Then you presumably have obtained some form of residency or worked in Thailand? I agree what you quote is great, but it is not readily available to most retirees in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Medical services are much cheaper than the United States.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

I would only return if the Government decided that "Retirement Extensions" must include a requirement of a 1 month "at home" period, like the financial you can use 400K of your 800k for 7 months of the year requirements. Can't see that happening.

Thank you for your report and what interested me was the above quote which (from what I could read) was the only mention of a visa in the OP. I assume, therefore, that most ex-pats are happy to remain in Thailand and put up with its bureaucracy and complex financial restrictions regarding visas - and 90 day reports!! I wonder if these ex-pats will still be happy when the bank deposit for a retirement visa should become 1,000,000 baht.

• Like 1

There are many cons of living here but I can't think anywhere else in the world that would be better for me (and family).

Everywhere else has some or many of these problems:

- Overregulated 

- Wild Karens

- Imminence of war

- Very unstable government

- Dangerous crimes, gunpoint robberies etc

- Exploding homeless populations taking over entire neighborhoods

- Major drug usage issues

- Islamic laws 

- Population with dangerous conflicts about ethnical/religious differences

- Super expensive

- Unbearable heat (like 10-15 degrees hotter than Thai summer)
- Very unwelcoming to foreigners

- Can't get by with only English

- Severe lack of infrastructure 

As far as I know, Thailand is the only country that isn't plagued by any of these. There are of course other problems like corruption, stray dogs, road accidents, etc but it's still the number one place I can think of. 

• Like 2

Beach front condo owner can NOT return to thailand, because THAI immigration WILL not accept his medical insurance from his own country. Due too pree existing condition he can not qualify  for Thai scamm insurance. South America is welcoming. He is Not cheap charlie

• Confused 1

"Majority of ASEAN NOW expat viewers want to remain in Thailand" nice one 

if you are an older person and do not have THAI medical?

option for wimps ...

marry thai lady b.. and be Slave... and be ATM ...  for the rest of your life ...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1