Paypal no longer available to foreigners starting October 2022

As some of you might have been made aware by Paypal, we will need to register with the NDID something or other in order to keep using our Thai registered Paypal accounts. To do so one must be a Thai national. I have been doing wonderful business with Paypal for the last 5 years and now this. My credit card registered to my account is from my country of origin. I must look into whether I can use an address in my country to register and then I need to find out if I can have my goods shipped here, to Thailand. 

This is not so cool that only Thai nationals can register. Once again I am a victim of a system that is non-inclusive in its policies. If anyone is in the same boat I am and has found a way to circumvent this <deleted>, please share.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paypal forced so many to find alternatives and so were abandoned, dont see any reason to go back to them.

I havnt received any such notice as described in OP.

Would have been handy if the OP couldve shown that notice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I havnt received any such notice as described in OP.

Would have been handy if the OP couldve shown that notice.

For us to transfer your account to PayPal Thailand, you must be enrolled in the National Digital ID (NDID) platform. As Thailand’s digital identity verification service, NDID will allow us to authenticate your identity in a standardized, reliable, fast and safe manner.

To enroll in NDID, you’ll need to take a few simple steps either using your Thai bank’s mobile app, or by visiting your bank branch. You can find instructions on our website (please refer to Q2 of the ‘Consumers/Non-registered businesses’ tab). Please note that a Thai national ID is currently required to enroll in NDID.

If you are already enrolled in NDID, no action is needed for now. If you are unsure of whether you previously enrolled in NDID, you can contact your bank to check. You may already be enrolled if you have taken all of the following steps:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I use PP with my Local bank Visa card and i haven't heard anything of the sort, infect i just logged into my account and there's nothing there to indicate what the OP is saying...

Check the links and my copy and paste... welcome to the Thai Bronze Age where going backwards is a sign of the times.

• Haha 2

I received an email from Paypal, back in March, that seemed to indicate that the changes would not affect my account.  I only use PayPal for occasional bill paying - sometimes convenient - but not for other types of transaction so maybe this is why,

Email reproduced below:

Your PayPal account will no longer be limited on March 7.

Dear *************,

We recently contacted you about some changes to your PayPal account, which relate to the relaunch of our services in Thailand.

We have been listening to the concerns expressed by our customers in Thailand, and we have been working closely with the Thai authorities to try and address these concerns.

As a result, we are pleased to inform you that you can continue to use your PayPal account as usual. The previously communicated limitation to your account, scheduled to take effect on March 7, 2022, will no longer be implemented.

What this means

You will still be able to use your PayPal wallet’s current functionality after March 7, 2022. This means that you may continue shopping with your PayPal wallet, as well as sending and receiving money with your PayPal account.

You do not need to take any action. 

More information can be found on our website. 

This extended functionality will remain in effect while we continue to work on updating our products and processes for the relaunch of PayPal in Thailand. The transfer of accounts to PayPal Thailand will still be going ahead later this year, and we will be in touch with any necessary instructions for your account.

We deeply value our customers in Thailand, and sincerely apologize for the confusion we have caused. 

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.      

Edited by doctormann
  • Haha 1

OK if you are you’re enrolled in NDID.

You may already be enrolled if you have taken all of the following steps:

spacer.gif

You have an existing bank account (current or savings).

You’ve followed your bank’s procedures to confirm your identity by inserting your Thai ID card into a card reader at your bank branch.

You’ve downloaded your bank’s mobile app to your smartphone and it’s ready to use.

You’ve taken a photo of yourself on your bank’s mobile app or at your bank branch to confirm your identity, and have enrolled in the NDID service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

I received an email from Paypal, back in March,

Rules newly amended as of yesterday

58 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

OK if you are you’re enrolled in NDID

Only Thai nationals can enroll in NDID

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Check the links and my copy and paste... welcome to the Thai Bronze Age where going backwards is a sign of the times.

Paypal Bronze Age, isn't it?

Or did Thailand insist on this? 

(Seems unlikely to me).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Only Thai nationals can enroll in NDID

Intriguing then that the email they sent me was in English but I suppose they don't know, maybe I could be a farang Thai? 

On 6/16/2022 at 6:45 AM, RichardColeman said:

Only thing paypal is good for these days for me is daily Spam !

Yea, I stopped using PP long long time ago, when I had to fight, tooth & nail, for

a refund from an obvious scam site.  Only reason I took a chance, because of the

usual good refund policy.

And yea, one of those FB sponsored ads ... ????

That $1000 product for $40 ... ????  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I've had that email this morning. I tried to enrol on my Kasikorn app and use the "Thai i/d" number from my Covid vaccinations, but it just said "not available" when I hit the NDID button. I've sent Paypal a message that if they won't let me link my UK bank account I'm done with them.

Please let me know what you plan on doing next. I have a credit card from my home country that I connected to my Thai address. My plan, don't know if it will work, is to use someone's address from back home to open new paypal account. I need this seeing how I do a lot of ebay with paypal...

Keep me posted and thanks for your input.

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, I stopped using PP long long time ago, when I had to fight, tooth & nail, for

a refund from an obvious scam site.  Only reason I took a chance, because of the

usual good refund policy.

Overall, except for once, I have been very happy with pp. The time they didn't back me cost 700 us. I was <deleted> but I bit the bullet because overall I get good service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

I need this seeing how I do a lot of ebay with paypal...

Guess you mean selling as no need for paypal to buy on Ebay.  I also dropped PP when they sent that first notice.

• Like 1

???? I haven't received any notices yet. I hope that their system failed to parse my NDID (I wrote all zeros when they requested it in March) and will simply skip my account.

LOL DAFUQ are they spying on me? I've got that email a few minutes after posting this message :biggrin:

Well, I guess I'll find other means of payment for the goods and services.

Edited by fdsa
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Please let me know what you plan on doing next. I have a credit card from my home country that I connected to my Thai address. My plan, don't know if it will work, is to use someone's address from back home to open new paypal account. I need this seeing how I do a lot of ebay with paypal...

Keep me posted and thanks for your input.

I had a reply to my message, asking me to submit a copy of my passport, which I have done, so I guess they're considering it. I'm not that bothered about keeping Paypal, except that it's the only way that Smashwords will pay for the few downloads of my books that I sell through them so if I can hang on to it I will do.

• Haha 1

Yes I has the same email today.  I'll just bin PayPal.  Yet another policy change that was only partially thought through.  No problem for me as I only use it to pay for stuff sometimes.  I'll just use the bank card that the funds come from anyway.

• Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 4:21 AM, Pouatchee said:

My credit card registered to my account is from my country of origin. I must look into whether I can use an address in my country to register and then I need to find out if I can have my goods shipped here, to Thailand. 

You need an active mobile phone number to register a Paypal account in the country that you are opening the account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I run a hobby esports competition and use paypal to send money to the winners from my Thai bank account.

I was annoyed about their March 2022 plans (cannot receive funds) - but these new plans have turned a bad situation into a more terrible situation. I've got some patreon subscriptions and other recurring payments.

What's the solution here for me? I can probably try to pay with CC for the subscriptions but how can I pay the competition winners if I'm no longer allowed to have a paypal account here ????

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ThePugAndMe said:

I run a hobby esports competition and use paypal to send money to the winners from my Thai bank account.

I was annoyed about their March 2022 plans (cannot receive funds) - but these new plans have turned a bad situation into a more terrible situation. I've got some patreon subscriptions and other recurring payments.

What's the solution here for me? I can probably try to pay with CC for the subscriptions but how can I pay the competition winners if I'm no longer allowed to have a paypal account here ????

Well its 2022 you can bask in the knowledge that despite all the trumpeted global advances in equality and inclusion, you have the privileged position of perversely still experience swinging discrimination on the sole basis of your nationality - more akin to decades past - by a global corporate with the effrontery to actually declare such things as against their code of ethics.

• Haha 2

On 6/16/2022 at 12:30 PM, doctormann said:

I received an email from Paypal, back in March, that seemed to indicate that the changes would not affect my account.  I only use PayPal for occasional bill paying - sometimes convenient - but not for other types of transaction so maybe this is why,

Email reproduced below:

Your PayPal account will no longer be limited on March 7.

Dear *************,

We recently contacted you about some changes to your PayPal account, which relate to the relaunch of our services in Thailand.

We have been listening to the concerns expressed by our customers in Thailand, and we have been working closely with the Thai authorities to try and address these concerns.

As a result, we are pleased to inform you that you can continue to use your PayPal account as usual. The previously communicated limitation to your account, scheduled to take effect on March 7, 2022, will no longer be implemented.

What this means

You will still be able to use your PayPal wallet’s current functionality after March 7, 2022. This means that you may continue shopping with your PayPal wallet, as well as sending and receiving money with your PayPal account.

You do not need to take any action. 

More information can be found on our website. 

This extended functionality will remain in effect while we continue to work on updating our products and processes for the relaunch of PayPal in Thailand. The transfer of accounts to PayPal Thailand will still be going ahead later this year, and we will be in touch with any necessary instructions for your account.

We deeply value our customers in Thailand, and sincerely apologize for the confusion we have caused. 

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.      

I received the same letter but they send another one on June 6 with updated information which is the same as the link provided here...

• Like 2