Paypal no longer available to foreigners starting October 2022

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

My response was to another, but when it comes to finances decisions are very seldom   stupid. We can only do what we think best at the time, but the passage of time can often indicate it may not have been the best decision.

Those of us that have come here from other parts of the world have a tendency to forget that the BOT has Currency Exchange Regulations in place and have a legal obligation in respect of those regulations. Not surprising that the rules for Thailand may be somewhat different to what they would be in other countries. I suspect the BOT have put pressure on Paypal.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't suggesting your actions were wrong, I was referring to the general thread of the conversation in the last few posts, starting with the poster who claimed it was stupid to open a PP account anywhere but your home country. I just never felt totally secure maintaining a UK bank account under what were technically fraudulent conditions (an offshore account is a different proposition of course).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Regyai said:

Yes - with a UK PayPal Account

But a Thai PayPal Account cant be reverse engineered as you suggest because as they stand only Thai and (perversely) USA Banks are possible

And as the the underlying subject matter of the thread states come October the Thai PayPal account is ceased as hes not a Thai national

I made a suggestion which may or may not have worked, not having been there I couldn't know for sure.

Of course you are perfectly correct, it is a Paypal requirement that you open the account in your country of residence.

Paypal, it would now appear, have forced to take the view that foreigners do not reside in Thailand unless they can prove they do so, now the bone of contention.

The UK government however take a more open view on residency, because it suits them to do so, and reduce your pension.

Reminds me on an old Pink Floyd number.

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I made a suggestion which may or may not have worked, not having been there I couldn't know for sure.

Of course you are perfectly correct, it is a Paypal requirement that you open the account in your country of residence.

Paypal, it would now appear, have forced to take the view that foreigners do not reside in Thailand unless they can prove they do so, now the bone of contention.

The UK government however take a more open view on residency, because it suits them to do so, and reduce your pension.

Reminds me on an old Pink Floyd number.

Not quite:  It's not a PayPal requirement to open accounts only in your country of residence (I know from experience), And PayPal are not forcing foreigners to prove residency in Thailand they are now retrospectively EXCLUDING foreigners (be they residents or not) simply because they are not Thai nationals.

Incidentally, there have been a few assertions made along the lines of 'its not PayPal its pressure from Thai agencies' nevertheless whether this is the case or not, it is PayPal that allows it's clear and prescribed code of ethical standing to be disregarded so easily.

PayPal is a Global entity and I can see that possibly Thailand is just a comparative backwater and likely below the radar of general notice but no way on Gods green earth would PayPal dream for a moment of trying a similar stoke elsewhere in its fiscal empire. Could you just imagine a 'we'll just %&^* off all our USA customers who were not born in country' gaining any traction, and the resultant hue & cry and legal ramifications if they did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Apples and oranges, and I fail to see what would represent a payment system.

Paypal is a payment processor with effectively a built in prepayment arrangement.

Wise is more of a financial & banking institution, Wise payments are bank transfers. You can link a Wise account to payment processors such as G pay and Paypal.

My Wise account is linked to Paypal, I prefer the Paypal arrangement for recurring charges than a bank direct debit.

Wise can also be used for receiving payments, so it's not just for transfer.

I don't like Paypal higher markup for its exchange rate.

Edited by EricTh

16 hours ago, Regyai said:

It's not a PayPal requirement to open accounts only in your country of residence

This PayPal User Agreement applies to you if you reside in one of the countries/regions listed below. You are required to register your PayPal account in the country/region in which you reside.

https://www.paypal.com/ga/webapps/mpp/ua/residence-full

15 hours ago, EricTh said:

Wise can also be used for receiving payments, so it's not just for transfer.

I don't like Paypal higher markup for its exchange rate.

An incoming payment is also a bank transfer.

As for the exchange rate, just the cost for using probably the world's oldest payment processor.

I am not a great fan of Paypal but it cannot be denied they brought international purchase to the masses long before their current competitors. Ebay wouldn't have got where it is without Paypal, but like most things, time moves on and choices have to be made.

Hi,

You can say you are a victim of Paypal, but in fact, Paypal itself is a victim of various compliance requirements.

Paypal's only goal is to make money, it wants everyone to be involved without ANY limits.

The only thing that limits Paypal in every country is a governmental financial policy.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed anyone mention that having a Paypal account linked to a UK bank account appears to attract VAT at 20% on many purchases and subscriptions in the same way that paying with a UK registered credit or debit card does.  I started a Thai PP account in addition to my UK one for just that reason.  Living in Thailand and paying 20% UK Vat on goods and services that have never set foot in the country is very annoying, to say the least.

I also tried my Pink Card in one of the ID machines and it didn't like it.  I'll see if a visit to the bank helps.

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

I haven't noticed anyone mention that having a Paypal account linked to a UK bank account appears to attract VAT at 20% on many purchases and subscriptions in the same way that paying with a UK registered credit or debit card does.  I started a Thai PP account in addition to my UK one for just that reason.  Living in Thailand and paying 20% UK Vat on goods and services that have never set foot in the country is very annoying, to say the least.

I also tried my Pink Card in one of the ID machines and it didn't like it.  I'll see if a visit to the bank helps.

if you were vaccinated and have a certificate try using that 13 digit number to register, worth a try

Re: Using Thai 13 digit IDs from pink cards, tha bien ban, or vaccine certs.

I wasted lots of time in Jan. tying to get my Thai company registered with Paypal, only to have Thailand cancel/delay the whole scheme. So I wanted to find answers about the new NDID and Paypal registration.

I went to SCB and talked with two SCB officers who contacted relevant departments, Paypal Philippines, and the company that runs the NDID system. The answer is no, it is not possible at this time.

Paypal Philippines told me on the same call that they were clearly instructed by Thailand that the new program is only for natural born Thai citizens, no foreigners can apply.

Paypal said they too are frustrated because they have many accounts for foreigners in Thailand, and said they will continue to push for their inclusion but it will not happen now.

So, after eliminating foreigners, Thailand will now allow small fry Thai to buy and sell through Paypal, unlike the first scheme. It seems clear who they are targeting.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got another email from Paypay yesterday, informing me (again) that my (personal, not business) account would be suspended if I didn't register with the NDID.
Which of course we can't do.

I posted in PayPal's "help" forum. I noted that not only can we not get a Thai ID, but we can do things like get driver's licenses, open bank accounts and buy condos using our Passports as ID.
Doubt I'll get an answer there.

I also emailed the NDID and asked them if there was an alternative method of registering, like using our passports, which are good enough for pretty much everything else in Thailand.

I'm guessing I won't hear anything from them either.

Ah well, PayPal won't miss all the money going both ways from people living here, will they ? 

They seemed to take notice when this scheme first broke and we were going to have our accounts shut down last Spring, which was then delayed "indefinitely".

Got to lol. On one hand they are trying to attract people to come to Thailand and then on the other hand they are trying to make it so no one wants to be here !

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

I posted in PayPal's "help" forum. I noted that not only can we not get a Thai ID, but we can do things like get driver's licenses, open bank accounts and buy condos using our Passports as ID.

Yes... I have had a driver's licence for almost 20 years ... but that is the extent of it. We cannot get the National Thai ID as required to register for paypal. I will be screwed on ebay   ; (

17 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Yes... I have had a driver's licence for almost 20 years ... but that is the extent of it. We cannot get the National Thai ID as required to register for paypal. I will be screwed on ebay   ; (

Well you can console yourself that you dont have to only sit on the back seats of buses.....

yet.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Regyai said:

Well you can console yourself that you dont have to only sit on the back seats of buses.....

Kind of reminiscent of Rosa Park your comment is. If it ever gets to that anymore than it is I will give this country a one finger salute.

• 1 month later...

I said before that a Bkk Bank branch had said it is possible to register if you have a pink card. After 2 hours in 2 different banks today I worked out that theoretically it is, as the the number on your pink card would be recognized by NDID. However, banks cannot apply the 16 digit pink card number to your account, as the only way to create an account with that is using the chip, not by manually inputting the 16 digit number. The pink card has no chip for some reason, so the foreigners account can only use the passport, and is therefore not part of NDID. This explanation doesn't really help, but that's the situation.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

I had an email the other day saying you must register with an ID number to continue using PayPal in Thailand - and of course only Thai IDs are accepted.

It is a joke

I thought they originally said we could keep using PP to pay for things online but not to receive money. Is it now the case we won't be able to use PP at all in Thailand?

Just now, Mark1066 said:

I thought they originally said we could keep using PP to pay for things online but not to receive money. Is it now the case we won't be able to use PP at all in Thailand?

Looks like it, to be able to use it at all you have to register with the NDD system - Thai ID only. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

Looks like it, to be able to use it at all you have to register with the NDD system - Thai ID only. 

Okay, thanks. I suppose it doesn't matter too much for buying things as you can still opt to check out with your debit or credit card when PayPal is the payment processor, if you don't have an account. Still ridiculous though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark1066 said:

Okay, thanks. I suppose it doesn't matter too much for buying things as you can still opt to check out with your debit or credit card when PayPal is the payment processor, if you don't have an account. Still ridiculous though.

I am pretty sure you will not be able to use PayPal at all - the email said you have to register to carry on using it from the end of November 

• 1 year later...

Wake Up!  PAYPAL'S BACK.

Whats going on? I just received an email saying my new Paypal business account is approved, logged in, and it works. I applied in 2022 when my old personal PP account died like everyone else's. The business account application eventually failed for the same reason, no Thai genes.

On a hunch, I tried to login to my old personal account, after a couple of tries it said 'click here to download new app' to my mobile (I'm on a desktop). It proceeded to do so and Shazam! there is my old personal PP account with old banks and contacts with whom I had exchanged funds. It appears fully functional though I've not used it.

I don't have a clue what happened but thought I would give a heads up and see if anyone else received an email from them.

10 minutes ago, rabas said:

Wake Up!  PAYPAL'S BACK.

Whats going on? I just received an email saying my new Paypal business account is approved, logged in, and it works. I applied in 2022 when my old personal PP account died like everyone else's. The business account application eventually failed for the same reason, no Thai genes.

On a hunch, I tried to login to my old personal account, after a couple of tries it said 'click here to download new app' to my mobile (I'm on a desktop). It proceeded to do so and Shazam! there is my old personal PP account with old banks and contacts with whom I had exchanged funds. It appears fully functional though I've not used it.

I don't have a clue what happened but thought I would give a heads up and see if anyone else received an email from them.

i deleted my old paypal

dont know if i can create new

if you try it and it works for purchases lemme know

i miss shopping on ebay

19 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Just successfully logged in to my old PayPal account.

Not tried to do anything with it apart from unlinking expired debit cards.

i think we were always able to log in to it... using it for purchasing things from thailand might not work, though. i want to know fro anyone who successfully uses it to buy things from here. thx doctorman