A monk's life for 30 days?

BusyB

I have just stumbled across a community called monklifeproject(dot)com. It seems to be pukka and above board but I thought I'd check back here first.

They offer a week's lay introduction and then ordination for a total 30 days, 60 if you're gripped by it. The whole process takes place at 3 different sites in the north-west.

I'm wondering if this is a good idea.

Is it realistic? I suppose it is, since Thais ordain for a mere week sometimes and then disrobe.

Is it trustworthy/effective? There is a fee of $500,-. Having said that the ambient and facilities seem a bit more welcoming than Suan Mokkh's austerity. Almost appealing.

The Wat Pananachat forest monastery offers an attractive 6 week layman's experience, and I am seriously looking at that as well, besides a second retreat at Suan Mokkh. But Wat P is set up with long term ordination as a potential  goal. The layman's period as a guest/visitor also appeals to me and would be available, but I have no plans to leave the laity permanently yet. (I think I'm too old for them at mid-60 anyway.)

But what do you bhikkhus think? Is a 30 day ordination for 500 bucks a worthwhile goal?

(By the way I came across my original Suan Mokkh post (from 2012) as I scanned the forum for any hints about monklifeproject. I realized I hadn't reported back. I'll catch up on that soon. Thanks for those who offered guidance - I could really relate to some of it in retrospect. But I am also at a completely different level of development now having found MY meditation position - unfortunately after 4 years more struggle 555.)

Edited by BusyB

Remember 14th of next month is Khow Pen Sar, the start of the  Thai lent anyone who enters the monkhood then is supposed to stay they for 3 months until the end of the Thai lent .

Now ,if these retreats and forest temples follow the same lines, I would not know. 

• Thanks 1

On the surface it does look like they are packaging as a commodity something that is freely available elsewhere and aiming it at tourists.

It might be a good experience fort you but I think it would be better to do retreats as a layman at places like those you've already mention, Wat pah nanachat, or Wat Suan mokh.

I don't think there is much point thinking about a temporary ordination unless you've found a monastery or teacher and want to spend more time there.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 11:34 PM, Brucenkhamen said:

On the surface it does look like they are packaging as a commodity something that is freely available elsewhere and aiming it at tourists.

It might be a good experience fort you but I think it would be better to do retreats as a layman at places like those you've already mention, Wat pah nanachat, or Wat Suan mokh.

I don't think there is much point thinking about a temporary ordination unless you've found a monastery or teacher and want to spend more time there.

Unless you speak really good Thai and read it, Wat Suan Mohk is not the place to go.  Wat Pah Nanachat is a great place but really, really difficult to get in, and they won't ordain you until you've spent at least a year as a white clothed novice.  

On 6/16/2022 at 2:47 PM, Bobtheblob said:

https://www.watpahnanachat.org/

You can ordane there and stay as long as you like they don't charge. 

Indeed. It is the confluence of largish sums of money and potential effects on spirituality that I was wondering about ... Nanachat is the more 'regular' place I had in mind.

I wonder if this monkfor30 is recognized by the Thai Buddhist Council ... I'll check that out and get back.

On 6/17/2022 at 1:59 AM, Zaphod said:

The Monk Life Project - embrace the path of Dhamma in Thailand:
https://thethaiger.com/sponsored/the-monk-life-project-embrace-the-path-of-dhamma-in-thailand

The thaiger had a youtube video to with someone from the temple.  You can search it for more info. 

Thanks very much. I've seen their videos and they are nicely done which only added to my (mild) misgivings. However the Thaiger article presents them better than they themselves ...

Indeed interesting.

On 6/17/2022 at 3:52 PM, khaowong1 said:

The Monk Life Project seems like the place to go, if you have the $500.  The reason I say that is, they seem to be more involved in teaching you how to be a monk. And they do it in English with books in English. Wat Phananachat and others usually treat you like you already know and not much in the way of teaching in English.    After you've been there 30 days as a ordained monk, you can always go somewhere else.  I was 64 when I became a monk and stayed until I was almost 70.  The only reason I left was my Mothers health got bad and I left to help her out.  If you have the $500, give it a shot.  That's my opinion.  And good luck.  And keep me informed.  I will help you with what I can.  

Yes I will, thanks. I'm aiming to be in LOS before September and staying till mid next year, so it's all still in the gestation phase right now.

And thanks for the Phananachat info. I don't want to have to struggle too much. Especially if it's only for 2-3 months or so. (Who knows? 555)

16 minutes ago, proton said:

Cult, avoid unless loaded! 

Yeah that's the Flying Saucer bunch.

Wikipedia: The temple has been referred to as the only influential organization in Thailand that has yet to be subdued by the ruling junta, which has shut down most opposition since it took power.

They seem to be regarded as heretical and corrupt by establishment media and institutions. I'm not all sure I like their approach in terms of self/non-self anyway. But the retreat on Samui could be a good way of testing the waters.

Otherwise there's always https://dipabhavan.weebly.com just down the road if I feel like it. That's a branch of the Buddhadasa Suan Mokkh school.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 6:34 AM, Brucenkhamen said:

Good points.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Much food for thought.

Monk4-30 gets the nod on the basis of actually ordaining and living quickly and English language teachers - the process also looks appealing.

Phananachat gets the nod a) for it's basic and more traditional approach and also b) because it was founded by Ajahn Chah. I know more about him and his teachings now having followed the Buddhist Society of Western Australia's Ajahn Brahm since 2020, who effectively got me through the lockdown. He was taught along with a few others by A. Chah himself.

Anyway, plenty of time ... see how it pans out. 

I'll let you know.

Edited by BusyB

On 6/27/2022 at 3:20 PM, khaowong1 said:

Unless you speak really good Thai and read it, Wat Suan Mohk is not the place to go.  Wat Pah Nanachat is a great place but really, really difficult to get in, and they won't ordain you until you've spent at least a year as a white clothed novice.  

I know, they've attached quite a few conditions to entry. And as a layman your limit is roughly 6 weeks unless you want to ordain AND they want you.

Suan Mokkh - Garden of Liberation rather than the actual Wat - was all English language instruction when I was there a few years ago. (Including much by a German guy whose English sense of humor and irony was stellar!)

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

https://www.watpahnanachat.org/

This place is indeed the real deal, I first visited around 18 years ago before they built the new temple. Was always clean and tidy even back then. 

In the UK I frequented 2 if its sister monistary. 

https://amaravati.org/

And

https://www.cittaviveka.org/

Both excellent places if you are in the UK. 

Also 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajahn_Sumedho

Has requested on his death for his remains to be housed in wat na na chat. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, proton said:

Cult, avoid unless loaded! 

I stayed for a month at one of their satellite temples in the South of Thailand for 30 days once.  They had a American monk running their meditation program then, can't remember his name or the name of the temple.  But it was good and not as bad as you would expect.  Yes their self/not self program was a little strange.  I'll do some digging and find out more for you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, khaowong1 said:

I stayed for a month at one of their satellite temples in the South of Thailand for 30 days once.  They had a American monk running their meditation program then, can't remember his name or the name of the temple.  But it was good and not as bad as you would expect.  Yes their self/not self program was a little strange.  I'll do some digging and find out more for you. 

I'll bet the monklifeproject people will know this American monk.  He was quite famous in their project.